Home Game Structure

cjroc

cjroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all.

For all you people who frequently play home games..

Basically I was curious to know what kind of structure do you use? How many people play? What is the buy in? Do you play a certain game? and what are some of your rules.... Also is it dealers choice?, limit games? no limit games? 3card poker games? old maid? uno? throwing the most cards into boxes from long distances??????

I usually play at my buddies house about 4-5 times a month. I'm not a rich man, and neither are my friends, so our buy ins are usually $20 max and $10min. Its generally the same 6 people, but sometimes it varies, there can be between 5 - 9 players in a given game

We generally play no limit holdem and stick to it. 20 dollars equals 2000 chips

We'll start out with blinds of 10 and 20 and we'll agree prior to the game how often to raise the blinds. Usually between 20-45 minutes, or, when someone is eliminated. We also agree before the game whether we are going to play tournament or cash style.

If we play tournament style, there are no rebuys and we decide prior to the game how to split the money up- usually either 2 or 3 players cash.

If we don't do a tournament, then rebuys/addons are allowed prior to hands when you have 10$ or less. We basically play till were broke, shitface drunk, or tired. This is when we all agree to call time on the game and play a certain number of hands and then quit. If you want to cash out early, you have to play at least 1 round(each person deals once per round) for each person at the table. For instance If I want to leave with 3 other people still in the game. I would have to play 16 hands or 4 rounds before i could cash out. This helps to prevent someone from trying to take all the money and run.

Our games last from 5 to 12 hours. Ive had to go into work with little or no sleep many times because of the card games. I try not to rebuy more than twice, but sometimes I just want to keep playing.

cjroc

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a group of about 6 friends that I play poker with just about every weekend and normally we play the same tournaments online and do the last longer side bets...

at the home games we vary when it comes to the amount of people....usually it is the original six but it varies from 4-10 players per game

we are strictly a tournament home game but I am trying to tell them that a ring game isnt so bad...
we always play No Limit Holdem but we will play other games but not for money because nobody is any good at them
max buy in is $20
min buy in is $5
we rarely do rebuys
we start with 2000 in chips and the blinds start out at 5/10 and increase every 20-30 minutes.....like you, we usually pay out 2-3 people per game

there has only been one instance where the game has gone too long and we had to finish the heads up battle between 2 players on the next weekend...

I have a huge 1000 chip set along with various other types of chips, so it is very easy to hold a MTT...but the most we have ever gotten was 15 i believe...poker isnt very popular where I live....

maybe my friends will take up ring games for a couple nights and we will see how it goes...

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We normally play SnG type games, $5 or $10 buyin. Money back for third, double the buyin to second and rest to the winner. Anywhere from 6 to 9 people. None of us are really cash game players, so we stick to the freezeout style.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games