Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redprelude

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, this week i've been playing tight. I don't buy or see flops with rags unless I'm bb. Turns out u lose if you don't take your chances. Because 10% is skill almost 90% is luck. Make and take ur risk.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The skill luck ratio is no where near 10-90, take calculated risks sure, but if you base your game on luck and risk taking you will only lose eventually

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to play your cards and sometimes take chances THATS HOW TO WIN TOURNEYS if your on the short stack u have to play about anything thats where the luck comes in, if youve got plenty of chips you can sit back and wait for good cards>>but good cards dont always win<< i would say 60>>40 60% skill and 40% luck>> without luck you cant win everyone needs the luck along with the skill>>.buckster436:elefant:

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yet being short stacked, just limping in won't get you to far anyway. Constantly calling with the shortstacked. You may get lucky but then again your chipping away at your own stack. That is where you have to pick a spot, go all-in, get lucky and double or even possible triple up.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck? Winning or losing 2 out 3 hands is luck. Winning or losing 60 out of 100 is skill or lack of it. There's a good article I found someplace on the web titled "Sklansky Ate My Brain". Look it up. Its a riot. The author states that due to strict adherence to the Sklansky starting hands, he never got any action. Only about 2 out of 10 hands would qualify and because he was recognized as a tight player, everyone would back off. I don't know how much of that applies to online play where nobody pays attention to anything but there own hole cards.

B

BuckNutty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a firm believer of 50/50. Although the table will shift depending on if you are having a little more or less luck. That is where the 50% of your skill comes in. Trying to win when your luck is down!

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just have to go on your instincts.

I was playing in a sit and go yesterday. 10 seat table, 2 of us left. He has 12,000 chips, me 2,000. So he figures " I can call every hand, grab a few lucky flops and get rid of this guy....well it didnt work cos calling every hand cost him nearly all his chips and I busted him within 10 minutes.

The best time to limp in is when you have suited cards or at least one picture.

Also, the closer you are to the right of the button, thats the best time to make a judgement because you can see if the players are folding, calling or raising.

Good luck

N

nymetsking

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
90% Luck!!!! LMFAO!!! If you think the game is 90% luck, my guess is you rather be the one flopping a fullhouse with a 2 7 o/s (off of the blinds) than the one sitting there with the 2 7 your hand already in the muck? Let's face it, if you're playing the 2 7 praying for luck, you're not going to be around long enough to see a K 10, let along know how to use it.

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's amazing how the lack of caring can sometimes work. Get me in a tourney where I don't care if I go out or not and I'll take risks ... which are ofttimes rewarded. Some luck is always involved, but careful observation of the people at your table, plus instincts help you to get further. On the other hand, I was in a private tourney last night, played conservatively, blasted away when I had good cards, and took 4th place. If I was more patient at the end, I might have nudged another place or so higher.

S

shawn55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play a little looser buy more pots no guts no glory

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play your cards and your instincts. I find myself doing much better when I focus on this rather than my bankroll. Whenever I'm concerned with making money - I don't. Ever notice how much better the cards appear to be when you've got a big stack? Even that J-To looks playable - which it is depending on the table and the position. I have won far more pots with connectors or suited cards than I have with pocket pairs. I even get to loose sometimes but it's all part of the game - change up now and again and don't be predictable.

Was playing the .25/.50 limit games at UB about 4 nights in a row and saw the same player at the tables every night. This fella would ONLY play AA or KK and needless to say he always left with less money than he came with...

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dave! your back!

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep thinking that way Red, you'll do well. (j/k)

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any one session it can be 100% luck, but over time its almost 100% skill. You have got to be joking with the 90% luck sentence. If not, I would love to be at a table full of people with that same mantra. Any decent player that has the ability to tighten and loosen up at will, will kill a table full of card chasers any day. You may river a few times with some crappy cards, but the real poker player is going to spot your "its all luck, so ill play anything" game plan, tighten up, then wait for an opportune moment and bust you out. How do you think anyone wins against the maniacs online in the low-limit games?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even a single session is rarely going to be 100% luck. To cite only a few examples, there's skill in things like
- getting into pots you're favored to win, even if you ultimately lose because you're out-drawn,
- betting to gain information about your opponents' hands instead of just playing your own,
- betting so you win more chips with your winning hands and lose more with your losing ones,
- gauging when and how often to risk your tournament life,
- getting reads on your opponents so you can do all of the above better.

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, the 100% luck short term, and 100% skill long term is basically a quick statement to describe the nature of the game. It never really 100% luck, but it is possible for a far inferior player to beat a great player (a pro even) in a single match, but that same matchup 100 times will heavily favor the experienced player over the donkey.

N

nymetsking

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Arjonius said:
- betting so you win more chips with your winning hands and lose more with your losing ones.

HUH? OK, I'm baffled there. Doesn't hurt to lose chips on semi-purpose (like to get reads, present that you will bluff, etc), but why would you want to lose more chips on a losing hand? The idea is to look like you could be a loose cannon, not actually be one. How yoyoing from short stack to big stack to short stack is a good strategy I have no idea.

tazztaz

tazztaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said I have done just the same thing and finished in the top 2 many times playing that way early (not careing and willing to take risk) on the other side of the coin, some games I realy needed to not lose and needed a place playing to tight and geting blinded out or short stacked and pushed into taking some big risk. I made it a point to add these two situations up and trying to learn from the both! I think it is one of the most important thing I have learned from online play especialy in multi seat tourneys;. Poker is more about situations than cards 80 percent of the time.
lightning36 said:
It's amazing how the lack of caring can sometimes work. Get me in a tourney where I don't care if I go out or not and I'll take risks ... which are ofttimes rewarded. Some luck is always involved, but careful observation of the people at your table, plus instincts help you to get further. On the other hand, I was in a private tourney last night, played conservatively, blasted away when I had good cards, and took 4th place. If I was more patient at the end, I might have nudged another place or so higher.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nymetsking said:
HUH? OK, I'm baffled there. Doesn't hurt to lose chips on semi-purpose (like to get reads, present that you will bluff, etc), but why would you want to lose more chips on a losing hand? The idea is to look like you could be a loose cannon, not actually be one. How yoyoing from short stack to big stack to short stack is a good strategy I have no idea.
should have said lose less. my sloppy

R

rk92559

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100 percent skill?? Thats absurd. Luck plays a bigger part than any "skillful" player wants to admit. Lets say you have AA, You make large raise, not to large now, because with your skill you don't want to run everyone off. You get one caller,the flop comes 2JK...he checks you bet large,..he folds. You are lucky he didn't flop a set of Js, or a set of Ks, or KJ...or worse, a set of 2s. Poker is about who makes the least amount of mistakes, plays the hands to the best of thier advantage, odds, outs etc...chip management, bluffing, reading and instinct. But every call, every flop...and every all in, especially pre flop, depends on luck!! You think that Gus hansen calling an all in with KJo, against KQ suited and hitting a J on a cold board to win is because of his skill?? it takes skill to be a good player, but luck plays a huge part in every hand, Iwould conservitively say 50/50.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes luck certainly plays a large part but not as much as you suggest. By reading a table correctly you can turn any cards into winners. If we were playing 5 or 7 card showdown I would agree; however, skill makes the difference. Look at Moneymaker, very lucky in 2003 - has been a bust since. Look at Raymer, won last year and finished 13th this year - this is luck vs skill respectively.

R

rk92559

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely agree, the moneymaker thing was crap. He should have been gone at least 4 times calling so far behind in hands and rivering. Raymer can read a table, has the online aggression. But he hasn't done anything until now either. They both look lost when playing at a table with the older pros.Good player, but look at the logs, and last years replays. When he hit his flush against Matasau, That was lucky, it hit diamond, but could have been anoter suit just as well. Thats lucky. In every good hand, that good players play, there is always some luck, thats why its gambling, and cards.

S

Scotty125

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I often find myself thinking that the amount of skill you need in Holdem is much smaller than the amount of luck that is required, but when I actually contemplate the accuracy of that assumption, I realize that luck accounts for about 20% of the hands I win. Some people, I'm sure, rely on luck a lot more than that, but they are the type that will always lose in the end. When I find myself doubting that my skills can outmatch somebody's blind luck, I start playing Omaha hi/lo. Give it a try.

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to disagree with the point made with out guts you won't get very far.

I have made it deep into the money having only played a few hands. Heck I have made it to the final table with maybe only 4-6 hands in a tourney.

I played ultra tight the entire time.

So, you can get somewhere playing with out taking to many risks.

That being said. I don't believe you can get to first without taking chances. You definitely have to risk to come out the winner.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know I'm getting a kick out of reading these posts.:rofl: Luck has apart to play with this game. Maybe not as large as some represents but a big part of it. Otherwise why would we have such a big section in the posts of bad beats and all the bitching about losing with AA.:icon_flow

Status
Not open for further replies.