Triton Poker Series North Cyprus starts today (May 10 until 25 May)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mike Watson is having what could be described as a very nice month.

Early in May he won the EPT Main Event Monte Carlo and today he claimed the Event 13, the $30,000 PLO tourney for $347,000.

Andriy Lyubovetskiy came second and Gergo Nagy third.

Additionally, Mike Watson has cashed in another 3 events this series bring his total Triton earnings to $5,500,000.

The Short Deck as usual close out the series with three events in a row starting with today's $25,000 Short Deck Ante Only

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks DS for the news and the stream ! :love:

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is an interesting side note which I would not have raised here (I posted about this some time ago) but for the fact Triton co-founder Paul Phua mentioned something on a live stream himself last night which was unguarded and surprising.

I obviously really enjoy the Triton Series but am cognizant it was in part founded to ‘sports wash’ the image of Paul Phua and Richard Yong who had been involved in countless dubious gambling entities.

In short, last night deep to the $40,000 event, someone mentioned Las Vegas and Phua made note ‘...he loved Las Vegas...had lived there for a year...but they took my passport...and though I won my case...’and then implied he had to leave the US.

Well, that’s one way to recall events I suppose. This is the revealing backstory regarding the Triton series which people should be aware of…

Just wow! I haven't read the entire piece (interrupted by grandkid :)) but find this extremely interesting! He sure does (or did) have a lot of connections in the gambling world. I am saving the article and expect I will be going down the proverbial rabbit hole during fact-checking. :)

Thanks, DS!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just wow! I haven't read the entire piece (interrupted by grandkid :)) but find this extremely interesting! He sure does (or did) have a lot of connections in the gambling world. I am saving the article and expect I will be going down the proverbial rabbit hole during fact-checking. :)

Thanks, DS!

My pleasure, Shells. Yes, it is a very well written article and a fabulous read!

Obviously a lot of research involved and though one might argue about the veracity of all the early details in Paul Phua's 'career' the incidents regarding match fixing in the UK are indisputable (and bear in mind that football/soccer is the world's most popular sport), then you know that little has been out the realm of possibility in terms of Paul Phua and Richard Yong making/taking money. And you can't contemplate this and their contentious dealing in Macau (triads and all)without grasping they have been involved in some seriously shady, seriously heavy dealings.

The FBI bust in Las Vegas was quite well reported. They had them bang to rights but for the fact ultimately the argument held the FBI had illegally entered the villas used by posing as technicians to initially gather evidence. They did not use a search warrant. Underling staff pled guilty but Paul Phua and his son etc. held out on the advice of expensive legal counsel and in the end the FBI let them exit the states. But very interesting to read about the pressure from within Caeser's Palace to either accommodate them (as the ultimate high rollers) or shop them to the authorities as the executives knew full well they were running an illegal betting hub. And to date I believe they remain persona non grata in the US

This is why I have always been conflicted about Triton. On the one hand the series are excellent, the production values flawless. I enjoy updating members on the tournaments. But what it does show (doh!) is when real money is involved, the poker world can turn a blind eye to a lot of things. I am not trying to be too moral here (a little pointless), but naturally all those guys playing know exactly who Paul Phua and Richard Yong along with their backgrounds. However, no one is staging a high roller series which competes with Triton so they'd be fools to turn away from the opportunity.

That said quite a few of the players are really obsequious around Paul Phua and Richard Yong, which I guess shows being around staggering amounts of money (however it was made) tends to suck the moral fiber right out of you. All that said, sports washing or not, the world is a more entertaining place with the Triton series so I guess we all have to take the rough with the shady.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The first of the three closing short deck tourneys, the #25,000 Short Deck Ante Only was won by Triton founder Richard Yong. Chris Brewer came second (a long 2 hour heads up duel) Anson Ewe came third with Steven Chidwick fourth,Mikita Badziakouski fifth

The $50,000 Short Deck Main is already underway and then the series will close tomorrow with the final $20,000 Short Deck

This stream is the final table of the $25K running into the $50K main event.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes YouTube itself offers viewing broadcasts in recommendations. It's nice to see popular familiar faces on the Triton Poker Series.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event 16, the $50,000 Short Deck Main Event ended with another super strong final table.

Danny Tang took first place (his second title this series), for $750,000, Mikita Badziakouski second, Jason Koon third, Richard Yong fourth and Sam Greenwood fifth.

Event 17, the final event is now down to a final table (starts at 10.38 on this extended feed) and Tom Dwan is currently dominating...

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Daniel Dvoress wins Event 17, the $20,000 Shirt Deck Ante Only, the final event for $214,000.

Tom Dwan came second and Michael Watson came third.

Once gain, I am not sure why the short deck events close out the series as they appear less and less in favor with the majority of players (too much variance, too ‘gambly’?). I would prefer each series to end with the $100,000 NLH Main Event.

That said another great series overall. Next up is Triton Series London which will begin on July 29th and be held at the Hilton Park Lane as the recent EPT was. This will be ten days after the wsop closes and many are anticipating Triton London will be a record breaking event.

Thanks to all the members who checked in to these updates!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thank you for your well written recaps! Looking forward to the next event.
My pleasure paetal.

As the Triton events are held outside of the US, they are not always handy to watch live. So, providing updates with a link to specific streams on CC cuts out a few steps for everyone. The Triton website itself is wonderful regarding information but just a tad cumbersome if you are not familiar (I found a few links to Triton info which aren't even displayed on their main page/lobby)

Anyways, appreciate the feedback and mark the end of July down in your calendar - Triton London and it should be a blockbuster!