Triton Poker Series North Cyprus starts today (May 10 until 25 May)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As always, the usual high roller suspects gathered on the Eastern Mediterranean island for another Triton Series.

Event number one is the $25,000 GG Super Millions live...

paetel

paetel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I really enjoy watching these guys play. All the high stakes cash game streams nowadays are obnoxious to watch in comparison.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
First day finished with the field whittled down from 158 to 29 players.

Notables left - Karen Rebei leads the field which includes Nicolas Chouity, Seth Davies, Patrik Antonius, Mike Watson, Sam Greenwood and Adrian Mateos.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event #1, the $25,000 GG Super Millions won by Santhosh Suvarna.

However, a bizarre deal made between the final three. Suvarna was the massive chip leader with a stack 4 x bigger than Chouity in second and 5 x bigger than Bedir in third. However, the players had somehow decided to split the money evenly but for $70,000 left for the eventual winner with the 'win' and trophy etc already given to Suvarna.

Suvarna is a rich business man, obviously very good natured but everyone felt like the other two players had taken advantage of Suvarna to give him the title (they do know each other and play together) and essentially walk away with even prize money. The tournament director Vivaldi, was not satisfied with the deal and made a point of saying so on camera but ultimately was left with no choice but to sign off.

Left a bad taste in the mouth to be quite frank. Okay, the business man wanted the title but a really odd unbalanced and unsporting end to the tourney.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event #2, the $20,000 NLH 7 Handed now in the money.

20 players out of 138 getting paid. Still in the field, Adrian Mateos. Ike Haxton, Tom Dwan etc.

Bubble burst at 2.04 on this stream

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Jason Koon wins Event # 2 the $20,000 NLH 7 Handed, for $663,000.

Kanan Taherkhani came second with Stephen Chidwick coming third.

Obviously, there is overlap with the tourneys and the $30,000 NLH event has begun.

Just one point I want to make here. This would be the third Triton event I have covered and updated on a daily basis. I do so because, for whatever reason, be it political or petty, PokerNews refuses to cover the events. I suspect certain Las Vegas based parties don't like the fact this has become the most important high roller series in the world. Whatever - the series has a loyal following and will enjoy a few million views over the duration.

I haven't been put out if other members contribute or even comment as it was fulfilling to see several members view the updates on a daily basis. That said, for this third series, though the views are there, I note I have not received a single reaction/like for the updates which to be honest has lessened my enthusiasm to continue updating, so I think I will cease to do so unless some spectacular/controversial play occurs.

I don't have a proprietary hold over this thread, so if someone wants to provide the regular updates please feel free to do so.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job with the reporting .

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the news DS! :)
It would be a dream to play on this series.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
we appreciate the updates .on another note , i am still amazed at the junk cards these high limit players get involved with !

whinwa

whinwa

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is top quality content. I have been watching the streams - Even the overlay/HUD that lets you see schedule etc. Is just top notch.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for putting this up for us, DS! (y)

Thank you..and all who commented.

No intention to be a scold here. These updates are exclusive to Cards Chat. Nothing to be found on PokerNews and there are certainly no daily Triton updates on that other poker forum. That’s a win for CC.

I see no one has updated – but, I have actually prepped the updates regardless so I will post them.

Just to be painfully clear here, no need to swamp each and every post with likes, that would be ridiculous and forced. That said, the occasional reaction as the series progresses would, of course, be appreciated. Let’s recommence...

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event #3, the $30,000 Mystery Bounty came to its initial conclusion with Ding Biao taking the first prize of $540,000, Jose Barbero second for $366,000 and David Yan $244,000.

That was half the prize money. The drawing of the bounties was held the next day during the evening break of the $40,000 NLH 8 handed. The bounties began at $30,000 each with a top prize of $345,000...which meant that there was another $2,350,000 to be handed out.

The two big winners were Ding Biao (who had won the event) with 6 bounties added another $540,000 in prizes, taking him over the million in prize money for this event and David Yan (3rd) with 4 bounties who drew another $400,000+ in prize money.

Event #5 (#4 is skipped due to Asian superstition) the $40,000 NLH 8 Handed was won by Frenchman Gregoire Auzouz for $1,050,000. A deal had been struck with second place Robert Heidorn who received almost identical money (in fact Heidron took 8K more).

Coming in third was Justin Bonomo who won $ 552,000.

Also of note, the winner of Event #1 Santhosh Suvarna came fourth adding another $457,000 to his current Triton haul.

One issue to highlight (again) is the influence the Triton series now plays over world rankings – and this alone highlights how absurd it is that PokerNews completely ignores this series. Take Jason Koon.

Koon like Tom Dwan was an early supporter of Triton Poker. Jason Koon is currently ranked the 3rd highest US winner and 5th All Time Global Money List with $44, 457,725 in winnings.

However, with 6 Triton titles, 29 cashes and combined prize money of $18,861,352, some 40% of Koon’s winnings have been generated via the Triton Series.

In a similar vein Justin Bonomo has won 2 titles, cashed 8 times and added $9,000,000 to his world ranking - Bonomo currently ranks number one on the All Time Global Money list.

Jason Koon's Triton profile and history,,,,

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event #6, the $50, 000 NLH 7 handed now in the books after a long final day's play which ended past 1pm in the morning.

Viacheslav Buldygin took the title and $1,342,000, with Brian Kim second for $920,000 and Thai player Punnat Punsri taking third for $620,000.

Punsri, is making quite an impact at Triton - he has only attended a couple of the series but now has a title, several cashes and $4,000,000 in prize winnings.

This is where things get a little tricky as some side events which generally do not get live stream coverage play out alongside larger events.

Event #7 was a $25,000 Turbo NLH. Anatoly Zlotnikov came first winning $570,000, Nilo Koop second and Triton co-founder Paul Phua third.

Linus Loeliger came 5th, I believe his first cash this series, and Indian businessman Santhosh Suvarna came 8th for his third cash in this his rookie season.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is an interesting side note which I would not have raised here (I posted about this some time ago) but for the fact Triton co-founder Paul Phua mentioned something on a live stream himself last night which was unguarded and surprising.

I obviously really enjoy the Triton Series but am cognizant it was in part founded to ‘sports wash’ the image of Paul Phua and Richard Yong who had been involved in countless dubious gambling entities.

In short, last night deep to the $40,000 event, someone mentioned Las Vegas and Phua made note ‘...he loved Las Vegas...had lived there for a year...but they took my passport...and though I won my case...’and then implied he had to leave the US.

Well, that’s one way to recall events I suppose. This is the revealing backstory regarding the Triton series which people should be aware of…

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event #8 now underway, the $75,000 NLH 8 Handed,

Tourney started slowly with only twenty playing the initial stages, but with later entries and some rebuys the field expanded to 77. At close of session, 39 left, and unbelievably for now that Indian businessman Santhosh Suvarna is leading the field again.

That said, these are nosebleed stakes and countless heavy hitters are in the field...Michael Soyza 2, Dan Smith 3, Benjamin Heath 4, Linus Loeliger 5...the list goes on and on...Holtz, Antonius, Babziakouski, Haxton... so I doubt Suvarna will remain on top tomorrow.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Michael Soyza wins the $75,000 NLH 8 Handed for a cool $1,735,000,

A star studded final table got run over by Soyza who took the chip lead early after his AA knocked out 2 players,

Mikita Badziakouski came second for $ 1,200,00 with Michael Addamo coming third for $796,000.

Up next, the $200,000 NLH Luxon Invitational.

Final table starts at 8.19 on the stream

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Event # 9, the $200,000 Luxon Invitational NLH is underway and unbelievably the field is being led by the Indian businessman Santhosh Suvarna yet again.

Suvarna has won an event and cashed another three times at this series so far. Philip Sternheimer is currently placed second and Kiat Lee third, but the field is naturally peppered with ballers such as Haxton, Antonius and Shakerchi etc. Field down to 55 from a total of 70.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Another long day at the $200,000 NLH Luxon Invitational.

To be frank, I never quite get the idea behind this tourney. The field comprises of business men who then invite a professional into the tournament. They are then generally separated until the final few tables. Just always seems like a half-baked idea to me that doesn’t make anything more engaging than a regular $200k buy in which is eye watering in and of itself.

That said, the final table of nine has been reached with Sean Winter leading, Ramin Hajiyev in second, Punnat Punsri in third and Patrik Antonius in fourth...Benjamin Heath in eighth.

A cool $4,560,000 awaits the winner

Event #10 the $25,000 Pot Limit Omaha is now running and down to a final 6 with Chris Brewer leading the FT, Eddie Ke in second and Jason Koon in third.

To top all, the $100K main event starts today also...I believe the definition of a fixture pile up.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ramin Hajiyev wins the $200,000 Luxon Invitational, with Thomas Duthweiler second. There was a deal made between the final two which worked out as Hajiyev winning just over $4,122,000 with Duthweiler winning just under $3, 606,000

Patrik Antonius third for $2,100.000, Sean Winter fourth for $1,640,000 and Punnat Punsri fifth for $1,325,000.

Also in the books (but not streamed) Even #10 , the $25,000 PLO was won by Chris Brewer, Jason Koon second with Daniel Perkusic coming third.

Tomorrow, day two of the $100K Main Event.

This is $200,000 Luxon Invitational stream which then carries on with some remaining day 1 play from the Main Event.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The $100,000 NLH Main Event has now played down to the final table and it is the most stacked FT of the series so far.

In descending order from chip leader to ninth, Henrik Hecklen, Viacheslav Buldygin, Sam Greenwood, Dan Smith, Michael Watson, Steve O’Dwyer, Stephen Chidwick, Jason Koon and Sean Winter.

Wow, just wow. Should make for a fabulous final table.

To top all Mikita Badziakouski went out as the bubble boy and no matter the millions he has already made you could see he was genuinely disappointed not to make a min cash (and I think it had little to do with the min cash being $175,000)

Playing in the background and unstreamed Event 12, the $50,000 NLH Turbo. Danny Tang took first place, Santhosh Suvarna second (his fifth cash of the series) with Igor Yaroshevsky in third.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A rare occurrence at the final table of the main event – things got tense and argumentative.

It kicked off when Dan Smith asked ‘for a moment’ when he was in a hand with Steve O’Dwyer (O’Dwyer had raised with pocket nines and Dan Smith was sat next to him with pocket nines also). From across the table Jason Koon injected that Smith was out of order for demanding silence.

The hand played out and then Smith said he should not have been berated at the table. However, it seemed as though Koon wanted to get this off his chest because he fired back VIP’s had complained about Smith regularly asking for quiet when he was in a hand, that Smith demanded respect/attention but did not honor it himself. Though it sounds quite innocuous, the table was left really tense for the next 45 minutes with some ‘afters’ and other players chipping in a little also.

As these things tend to happen, Koon ended up taking out Smith later when his pocket tens held up against Smith’s AQ.

There was an ICM chop made between the final two and then dramatically heads up lasted just one hand.

So, Jason Koon first for $2,451,000. That makes this his seventh Triton title, his thirty second cash for a total of $21,800,000 in career Triton earnings.

Sam Greenwood was second, for $ 1,924,000, Steve O’Dwyer third for $1,101,000.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Don’t get me started I could watch this for hours. I would love ❤️ to play. One ☝️ day. Thank you 🙏 for posting.