D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Did you watch the Final Table? If so, was it any good? (is it worth checking out?)
The final table actually played quite quickly.

Shakerchi came in as chip leader but the lead changed hands a few times. As I like Talal Shakerchi and Michael Soyza I found it pretty enjoyable. But Shakerchi is pretty self-contained so I'll admit, it not like watching a baller with an exciting reputation. I would recommend a watch of sorts. I skip to catch the big hands - I always forward until I notice a player has exited then rewind and watch that elimination hand play out!

I'd give it a softish recommendation - if you have a spare hour or so to watch some of the hands, yeah, enjoy it!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The final table actually played quite quickly.

Shakerchi came in as chip leader but the lead changed hands a few times. As I like Talal Shakerchi and Michael Soyza I found it pretty enjoyable. But Shakerchi is pretty self-contained so I'll admit, it not like watching a baller with an exciting reputation. I would recommend a watch of sorts. I skip to catch the big hands - I always forward until I notice a player has exited then rewind and watch that elimination hand play out!

I'd give it a softish recommendation - if you have a spare hour or so to watch some of the hands, yeah, enjoy it!

some trivia for you, prior to winning the SCOOP title, Talal was actually a big loser on Stars (-$1,5 million). Worked hard, stuck with it, became a beast and then went on to win all of the titles (WCOOP, SCOOP, TCOOP).

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Canadian Michael Watson with the win in the $50K Short Deck Ante Only, for $695,000. Isaac Haxton second, with Michael Zhang third.

The $100K Short Deck Main Event Ante Only has now played down to the final 17 and currently Michael Zhang (who came third in the $50K above) is chip leader, with Mikita Badziakouski, Michael Watson, Sam Greenwood and Seth Davies all in the top ten.

Should make for a very interesting final day as the variance is so high playing short deck.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Aaron Zang wins the $100K Short Deck Ante Only Main Event for $1,544,000. Michael Zhang takes second after coming third in the $50K Short Deck, with Kiat Lee coming third.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The final tourney, Event 15, the $20K Short Deck Ante Only comes to an end as does the Vietnam series.

Sam Greenwood took the title for $207,000, Lun Loon came second and Isaac Haxton third.

Some final thoughts.

Another excellent series with record breaking entries for most of the NLH events. I think going to Hoi An (home of the Bahn Mee sandwich!), Vietnam was a great choice, The event venue was an extensive resort complex on the coast with many facilities such as golf courses etc. and Triton must have been gratified to see the local response. Not only did some Vietnamese players enter, Dao Minh Phu won the $50K 8 handed and the chat with the streams was often abuzz with Vietnamese following the action. Triton literally opening up new markets.

I have to mention again, much to my annoyance, the fact that PokerNews, for reasons unknown (I can speculate but won't lower myself) has completely ignored the Triton Series yet again. Apparently the fact that Phil Hellmuth is selling some modest house ($400,000) he owns in Las Vegas is a more compelling story for PokerNews to bring to the poker world than 13 days of the most significant high roller series being played anywhere.

Meanwhile, as I touched on earlier in the thread, the views to date (not yet including the final stream and with some streams still climbing) stands at 1,981,000 views which means that a significant number of poker fans are avid fans of the series regardless of the fact some patently want to undermine the series.

Finally, a few thoughts on short deck. We all know the story - that the game sprang to popularity in Macau where wealthy Asian gamblers felt the high variance levelled the playing field against visiting pros. A couple of years ago it was being touted as potentially taking over from NLH, but I never bought into the idea. Nevertheless, due to the Triton founders being Asian, short deck has been a featured in the series. However, the fields to the short deck events have been dropping off and this year they noticeably decreased (especially compared to the regular poker events which enjoyed record fields). The short deck events have been scheduled at the end of each series and I have to say (a little harsh I know) that the series then exit with a whimper rather than a bang. So personally, I wish they'd schedule them earlier and close the series with the $100K NLH Main Event.

Now, what makes the 'promotion' of short deck even more interesting at this juncture is GG Poker (a Triton sponsor because they do get the series interest, doh!) is apparently going to push the game even more than it does already. My impression is that the game has somewhat limited popularity on the GG site, but perhaps I am mistaken and it would be interesting to here if any CC member plays.

All that said, once again kudos to Triton for adding more quality events to the poker world and I (and countless others) am happy to see them go from strength to strength.