Tom Dwan was accused of failing to pay his debts.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This story seems way too common with the x- FullTilt pros.

B

Broz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
When he played online, some of the pots he played in were even bigger than the amounts they say he owes.
He played hands bigger than those debts and didn't pay who he owed?? Strange...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Each person has their own problems, and not everything they say can be true, we must know first to judge later

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Disappointed to hear that as he is one of the most looked up to players by the casual.fan

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is he the new TJ Cloutier ? A clue to the rest of you poker players :' Dont loan money to anyone at or around the poker table and expect to get it back .Better yet , dont loan money to anyone .

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not exactly a new story. Doug Polk talked about the "Durr challenge" years ago on his Youtube channel, and there has also been a lot of speculation about, why Tom vanished from the US poker scene for years alledgedly playing only in Macao. The only thing, I will say about this, is, that maybe people should not lend money to any professional poker player and expect this to be a safe investment. After all poker is gambling, and even good poker players will regularly lose ;)

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Consistent winners can go south and become compulsive losers .

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yeah, it's true that a lot of poker pros are in debt, but specifically regarding Tom Dwan, one could say a lot about his character after his challenge with Cates. I think reputation of any other poker player would be absolutely ruined after such antics, but due to some factors he stayed afloat.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Did you guys watch the video in the link OP posted?
Durrr was siting with 3.1 Million (up $2.1 Million in that game). Pretty sure he's not 'hurting'.
There was also some talk about payments that were made to Dan Cates.

ScreenHunter 18712

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Yeah, it's true that a lot of poker pros are in debt, but specifically regarding Tom Dwan, one could say a lot about his character after his challenge with Cates. I think reputation of any other poker player would be absolutely ruined after such antics, but due to some factors he stayed afloat.
Because he is still winning but his debts are astronomical.
He would need to win the Big one for one Drop to pay everything back.

I do not think however that he refuses to pay back. ...

Screenshot 2024 03 02 20 09 40 377 orgmozillafirefox edit

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Because he is still winning but his debts are astronomical.
He would need to win the Big one for one Drop to pay everything back.

I do not think however that he refuses to pay back. ...

View attachment 355144
This challenge happened such a long time ago, that not paying for it still sort of equals not paying... Just saying. Was he in debt already when he agreed to this challenge? If not, then there is no excuse to not pay in full still, if he was winning afterwards. If he was already in debt, then it's even a worse look - to agree on a challenge well aware that if you lose, you can't pay your part...

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
This challenge happened such a long time ago, that not paying for it still sort of equals not paying... Just saying. Was he in debt already when he agreed to this challenge? If not, then there is no excuse to not pay in full still, if he was winning afterwards. If he was already in debt, then it's even a worse look - to agree on a challenge well aware that if you lose, you can't pay your part...
Since we weren't there , we can't be sure.
That's all claims only and a little ridiculous of Cates to bring that up after decades.
Who knows what exactly happened..

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sadly, many poker players cannot be trusted with money. Far as I’m concerned after the challenge catastrophe it’s shocking that there are people lending him money.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
From what I understand, his gambling goes way beyond poker and he is a full-blown addict. He looks like gambling may not be the only addiction he suffers from either. I want to like him but I've always had an odd feeling about him. He seems to be lacking in spirit. He does not relate to others in a normal way and seems to lack empathy. He may very well be a sociopath.

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It's very difficult to listen to Dwan and his twisted explanations. This is gibberish. He didn't help himself with this interview.

Last edited:
Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder at what point he decided its a good idea to give these interviews.

He would have been better off not saying anything at all and not showing to everyone in what mental state he is in. That vertucci podcast, watched like 15 minutes of it, omg.

Guy seems completely finito from too much gambling, not enough sleep and whatever chemicals he is consuming.

A textbook example of what gambling can do to a person. I hope for him that he can get the help he needs before its too late.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like how he seems to decide on whether to pay someone back based on if they are "cool" to him or not.

Maybe everyone would be cool to him if he payed them back in a timely fashion.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They need to change rules in big poker games you cant get you money you won till all money owed is paid.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
what is wrong with people owning money for others