Revolution to Introduce “Fair Play Technology” to Separate Players by Ability

M

MSINIWRAD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talk about depressing...Doesnt this kinda defeat the purpose of what poker is about? winning money off people who are worse than you?

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that's the bad idea!
what is fair, it is fair that remove the freedom to select all the tables?
on line, every player have the right to select limit, free to access all the tables... that's poker!

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally the market would determine whether this is a viable idea or not. But until OLP is once again mainstream in the US, options are severely limit and the sites are left to try various gimmicks to get people in the door.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not that good of a player,,, but what the hell are these people thinking... Sad day for poker when this happens.

Rappyness

Rappyness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wth is this? Its such a dumb idea! online poker should be trying to make the experience more like a live poker experience and now they are doing this? Its going to make the online poker more like a video game.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will never work.
I do not want to explain why because it too dumb.
There was that idea with real cards and decks that you can cut yourself. It was dumb from the beginning because it was started with the idea that online poker is rigged. It did not worked. Where are they now?
Some dumb guys at one site announced with the big fuss that they will block HUD because it was a big advantage to some players. Where are they now?

Big sites like pokerstars do not do stupid things like this because they know that a big mistake will cost them a fortune.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Got to thinking about how they might do this, and it seems to me that the ability for the sites to read our computers will make it easy for them to know whether or not we use a tracker. Perhaps even if it is not even running.

So more than likely they would separate us into "has a tracker" and "doesn't know what a tracker is" camps, and provide games accordingly.
So you're sayin' they'll combine fish & regs. on the 'same' tables then? (I thought they were hoping to accomplish the opposite of that):confused:

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you're sayin' they'll combine fish & regs. on the 'same' tables then? (I thought they were hoping to accomplish the opposite of that):confused:

No, I'm thinking they will want to provide all tables to the fish including the more advanced tables, but will offer the fish 'protected' tables. SO a fish could, if he is drunk, decide to play against the sharks, but the sharks can't go to the fish tables.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got to thinking about how they might do this, and it seems to me that the ability for the sites to read our computers will make it easy for them to know whether or not we use a tracker. Perhaps even if it is not even running.

So more than likely they would separate us into "has a tracker" and "doesn't know what a tracker is" camps, and provide games accordingly.

Aside from that whole notion not even making any sense, since when does having a tracker installed equate to being an "advanced" player? PT and HM have tens of thousands of paying customers between them, and I can guarantee you the majority are not winning players. And that's not even counting the thousands more who have active or expired trial versions that they never paid for and never uninstalled. They'd catch more fish that way than they would winning players. They *know* who the winning players are on their site anyway.

As far as being able to do it, it's been done before and is trivial to do. Stars and FT clients used to detect illegal poker software, that's how they busted people. Then a huge outcry in Europe and other countries where privacy laws proved it to be illegal put a stop to it. I doubt it'll happen again, certainly not for trackers, because like I said it wouldn't make sense anyway.

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont consider myself a fish but I am damn sure not a shark...in virtually every competitive thing I have done the best and quickest route to improvement has been to pit myself up against and to observe those who are better...of coarse since there is a financial aspect to this it is also nice to play people of lesser skill...that said I kinda thought the table price levels did that job...are really good players gonna be content long playing for pennies just because they are so easy to take...these poker sites that are considering this ignorance should wake up and realize who it is that lines their pockets...pretty sure it aint the fish....

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you determine an accomplished player? In the higher buyins there is a lot more risk taking (gambling) since those levels automatically flush out the losing players. A good player has losing streaks as well as winning streaks, so timing plays a big part. An initial winning streak does not qualify a player as accomplished if he would normally lose at the same level. Let the players decide who is accomplished and who is not.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you determine an accomplished player? In the higher buyins there is a lot more risk taking (gambling) since those levels automatically flush out the losing players. A good player has losing streaks as well as winning streaks, so timing plays a big part. An initial winning streak does not qualify a player as accomplished if he would normally lose at the same level. Let the players decide who is accomplished and who is not.
It is simple. You need his EV over a number of hands. No matter the swings the EV does not lie.
There are simple filters to divide the players when you have the complete history. It only takes the last mounth history over one player to decide what lvl of skill he has.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

this seems the least likely way for it to happen

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guys, I would have thought it obvious, but in case it's not -- they're basing it on your past performance on their network. They know your won/be/loss stats across all their skins. Combined with stakes, volume, withdrawal history and who knows what other variables, they've come up with a formula to categorize you into a low/med/high tier. Obviously the bigger the sample size, the more accurate the categorization. Smaller sample sizes will have more error on the side of being dumped in the lowest tier. They will regularly adjust where you fall based on your ongoing performance.

They're not releasing the specifics of their formula but they do have a FAQ on 2+2 where they've addressed some of the questions (albeit vaguely).

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for link.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this seems the least likely way for it to happen

Didn't say it was how it would happen, only thought it might be a way it could happen.

From a promo POV, it would be good for Revolution to promote games against players who do not use trackers. This is the path bodog has taken.

Remember when you started playing online, you didn't know anyone used trackers, then you probably were outraged when you found out otherwise, then you relented and got one, or you seriously considered totally quiting OLP. We lose a lot of fish at that point where they find out what they are up against. In the US, all that are left are decent poker players mostly in the mid processes of improving. The online money is mainly moving back and forth between those players with little new money coming into the ecology. I hope it is enough to cover the rake we lose, but my guess is that it is not covering that rake.

So from that point, those segregated games might help prevent fish from losing heart so easily.

Bonghead

Bonghead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has got to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard. How the fish supposed to get better if I can not take their stack??? how will they learn? This makes no sense and is actually making it so the better players stay better and fish stay crappy, if u let fish play like normal with sharks they get better ( yea right ) in theory anyways. pffft I want easy stacks to take damnit hahaa. its ok im still up 4k this month on juicy .. so i dont really think its effecting me.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
great for poker economy in which nobody is ever a sustainable winner, bad for good poker players

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got stuck in Tier 1 on Lock...Opened the lobby on one day, plenty of 50nl+ games running....open it the next, only bumhunters at 200+ HU

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is completely uninformed on the subject and has no idea what there talking about.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got stuck in Tier 1 on Lock...Opened the lobby on one day, plenty of 50nl+ games running....open it the next, only bumhunters at 200+ HU

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is completely uninformed on the subject and has no idea what there talking about.

+ the unacceptably high chance ATM that they may go south with your monies

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So what you're saying is that the games you normally play don't even run (or hardly run) anymore because the normal player pool (ie bad players) have been segregated from you?

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its really necessary. Or the pool will run out of fishes.