Phil Hellmuth manages his emotions well, or does he?

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think most people have become immune to his outbursts, but I can see how it would be intimidating - maybe part of his game?

Maybe could be part of his game. But I disagree when he throws bad words to the dealers. André Akkari witnessed that on the table and he speak about it in the interview to the SuperPoker.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love Phil
i think he is hilarious the way he gets made and upset.
he just has a bad habit of letting it get to him.

he hates to lose on good hands he is holding.

D

dudemaster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think he is doing well. but of course, there still some work to do

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
analyzing

In all the time so it was evident that Phil manages his emotions well as long as he can mentalize to do it since we saw him that in some of the games he lost his sanity but like any other person, we have the side that is very bad for us and we seek to vent ourselves in some way

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Helmuth has no control what so ever. Which is why he has been pilloried in the last two wsop for acting out and then come back to apologize (and in at least one case paid entry for the next years main event for one player he berated).

There is no act there, he loses control and did so again just recently on Poker After Dark where he went all in with his paired 5 against Alan Keating's paired king....cue foul mouth tirade number infinity.

How is this helping his image? Or pokers image?

Yes, off the felt he is supposed to be a sweetheart and his bracelet collection is unsurpassed, but he gets away with an awful lot of nonsense. Inside poker, yeah, shenanigans.

But for the uninitiated looking in (in the grow the game context everyone constantly alludes to) it doesn't present well. How many have flocked to poker because they watched a clip of Helmuth cussing out another player for inflicting a beat on him?

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think he acts up just because he can.....everybody bows and curtsies to the "great man" , he can get away with things that you and I would be kicked out for

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the show is less to lure opponents into mistakes and more to keep his media profile up. Good for business!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While Hellmuth’s blow ups might make fans question his behaviour, the results throughout his career have been impressive. Maybe he really is an expert on managing emotions?

Author and economist Allison Schrager featured the “Poker Brat” and his ability to handle emotions in her new book, “An Economist Walks into a Brothel: And Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk.”

‘Poker Brat’ Phil Hellmuth is Apparently an Expert on Managing Emotions

Don't forget that Phil was very very young when he first started playing and winning at poker.

So it's easy for me to believe that he was genuinely upset many many times.

I'd like to think that over the years he has accumulated a lot more experience and a broader view about the beats he takes.

Hopefully even to the point where now he has to "act" upset when he takes a beat....lol

I wish Phil the very best and I know he has a lot more success coming in the future.

I mean when you are a pro or even a regular - you expect beats and yes "bad beats".

I know that in live play myself and other regulars giggle when a newbie is genuinely upset by any beat - sometimes the emotions are unwarranted. I like to say something like, "Man, this is a really hard game if you're going to cry like that every time you suffer a bad beat!"

Good luck !

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
His hot blood does not let him mask his emotions while playing. He seems to have been born in a South American country and has latin origins. :)) :D:D:D

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greatness is always followed with a giant ego,,,,history shows this.:cool:

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I'm pretty sure Phil explodes for the TV cameras, since he puts on a good show for the audience.

I agree with you. He is an ONE MAN SHOW. :p He knows when to draw all eyes on him. :driver::D

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with you. He is an ONE MAN SHOW. :p He knows when to draw all eyes on him. :driver::D

No, not a correct reading of Helmuth's behavior.

Yes, he loves the spotlight and has an ego (hence his ridiculous outfits and entrances of yesteryear). That has nothing to do with him losing it (or people pretending he is pretending) to gain attention.

He loses it plain and simple- not for effect. Numerous players have recounted stories of playing with Helmuth in low key or even private situations where he has 'lost it' without a camera in sight let alone a member of the public to stroke his image.

It seems to have not occurred to anyone here (or few at best), Helmuth is odd period, his behavior is likely 'on the spectrum'. He has some extreme mental capabilities - he can recall virtually any significant hand he has ever played, all circumstances around it, without having to pause to recollect.

However, his behavior when annoyed reflects the fact he has no concern regarding others or regarding the fact he is looking like a douche in the moment.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There is a thread with a series of videos on different poker players...one being Phil Hellmuth. It was really good, in my opinion. After having watched it, I had a much better understanding of Phil. I liked him before and I still like him. I have to believe his display of emotions is part of him and because over the years he has proven he is a good poker player, therefore we expect that from him. Sometimes, I agree, he goes over the edge, which seems to become less and less over time - I have to believe this is part of his appeal and has been let to continue with his rants, etc.

I'll have to search for the thread...anyone who cares to look it, I do hope you enjoy the contents!

Edit-

Dang it! The video has been removed and it is now private. :(

I think Poker Central has the rights to the video - if anyone has access and hasn't seen it, it is recommended (actually, all of the Pokerography videos are well done. )

Last edited:
W

wallyworld127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he uses it to his advantage

like i said in the title i think that he makes people think he is on tilt far more than he really is. I know i do something similar on online poker when i lose a big pot i dont loosen up i tighten up and hope i get a good hand to get paid with so idk it could go either way honestly.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That is why he is called POKER BRAT. He is a sore losser and
is proud as a rooster when he wins. He should grow up!!!

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi the ALL! Since I think the Life is generally a Game, that the truth is somewhere
in between... Somewhere Phil Hellmuth play on public, somewhere shows real feelings,
somewhere are mix... I think, many he doing spontaneously in the dependence from situation,
what human (people) are near. So as Phil Hellmuth on the sign of zodiac Dragon, therefore
the all His actions are very bright and often extraordinary! Hence, You this accept or not...:rolleyes:

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very difficult to say, his behaviour has somewhat became his brand. It's what people expected him to act like, it's what drew the attention of the cameras. I'm not completely sure there isn't a bit of exaggerated acting to it, in order to add some drama to poker. Or it just might be directed at the other player to try and tilt him. I mean he's been playing professionally for a very very long time. I find it difficult to believe he hasn't gotten used to the ups and downs of poker, just like all the other professional players. You don't see anybody else acting like him. Obviously he's a good player, no doubt. But his behaviour might be a bit of an act, we won't know for sure. It's not a professionals poker player's behaviour, either way. It's difficult to imagine Bryn Kenney or Erik Seidel have the same reactions. That session where he berates Dragomir calling him stupid or an idiot- nowadays it's not socially acceptable to bully somebody like that. So the fact that he's talking about positivity, if I'm not mistaken he even wrote a book about positivity ( that in itself is such a joke), means he's trying to change his image to make it more palatable the poker media and thus get more exposure. I also could be completely wrong. Just an opinion.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He loses his emotional strength all the time. I love it when Tony G rides his ass and makes him cry. Really wets his noodles in tears. Lol Good Luck At The Tables.

usmc2doc

usmc2doc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that he is a logical player and expects a logical progression in a hand based upon bets, position, etc. So when he gets a bad beat, he rails against the injustice of you not following a logical pattern that he can follow and beating him when he played the hand better. He has even acknowledged in Doug Polk's podcast a few years ago that he was a great winner and really poor loser. He even said he wishes he could change that about himself. This leads me to believe that he can't control his emotions, but he is also not inclined to control them. "Poker Brat" is a way of life, and choosing between his and mine, I would choose his all day lmao. His success in and out of poker is impressive, to say the least. :icon_stud:icon_stud

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like him and i think as much as i have seen on videos tournaments he just alowed his emotions go outside, but will always have that much control to not cross the line and become rude.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let he (or she) that has never gone on tilt cast the first chip. :mad:

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In spite of some blow ups during his career(many of them have been made on purpose,sometimes for the show and when he has wanted to deconcentrate an opponent)I think he manades his emotions.That´s why he has won 15 bracelets and he is still rocking.