Phil Hellmuth manages his emotions well, or does he?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
While Hellmuth’s blow ups might make fans question his behaviour, the results throughout his career have been impressive. Maybe he really is an expert on managing emotions?

Author and economist Allison Schrager featured the “Poker Brat” and his ability to handle emotions in her new book, “An Economist Walks into a Brothel: And Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk.”

‘Poker Brat’ Phil Hellmuth is Apparently an Expert on Managing Emotions

P

Play_Analyst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Phil has worked at building the image so he gets action.

If you watch how he plays he is pretty tight so most players would probably insta fold to his pre flop raises. To get "action" I really believe most of his outbursts are in order to get action.

Think about it, you have a good feeling he's raised with a premium holding and you only have 3,4 off. Doesn't the devil inside you scream CALL CALL CALL just to watch him explode on the off chance that you spike 2 pair or a straight.

I remember watching him years ago on Late Night Poker on the UK Channel 4. I was always impressed by a) how smart he dressed and b) by how he kept his cool even when coolered.

Hence the reason I think he is a great showman and uses the reputation of massive blow ups as a tool in his game.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please

Please; I would say no !

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think Phil has worked at building the image so he gets action.

If you watch how he plays he is pretty tight so most players would probably insta fold to his pre flop raises. To get "action" I really believe most of his outbursts are in order to get action.

Think about it, you have a good feeling he's raised with a premium holding and you only have 3,4 off. Doesn't the devil inside you scream CALL CALL CALL just to watch him explode on the off chance that you spike 2 pair or a straight.

I remember watching him years ago on Late Night Poker on the UK Channel 4. I was always impressed by a) how smart he dressed and b) by how he kept his cool even when coolered.

Hence the reason I think he is a great showman and uses the reputation of massive blow ups as a tool in his game.
I agree, I think he does this to get people to call him when they have weak holdings. He has to be able to control his emotions to get as far as he does in Tournaments.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Soon to be released film "the two" coincidence? Don't think )

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he has control over his emotions some of the time but a lot of the time he doesn't? At least in the past as we've seen over the years some of his major blow ups LOL... but I think as he's matured and gotten older he's definitely gotten a bit better at hiding and masking some of his emotions at the table but there's always the possibility of a Phil Hellmuth blow up... :)

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he has extreme control actually. His wife is a psychologist as well. He blows up for the TV poker beat image I feel, but all in all I think he’s a good positive guy.

F

flamerozzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if poker needs mental stability, look at his results and the question is answered!

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cant be all bad look at what he has dont over the years great poker play.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Phil Hellmuth doesn't manage his emotions well. But this is part of his charisma, this is a show. I do not think that the outbursts are always honest, nevertheless, i like it!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I believe that Helmuth sometimes is able to control his emotions and sometimes not , when the one happens and when the other noone can tell for sure , it's part of his mysterious charm . For me he is a poker man who can fool some poker players with his crazy outbursts and speach when needed .

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The emotional stuff is B.S., deliberate & calculated. He has all those bracelets because he is a great player.

M

mikeyg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure if he does have control of his emotions,seems he likes it to be known hes not happy, Tony G seemed to disagree,he loved to wind him up and that was when he wasn't even in a hand against him,maybe its the handling tilt that he has control off,blows a gasket 1 hand and resets for the next 1!

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well while he's playing i think he can control himself quite well and show no emotions, but at the end of play sometimes he really loses control (there are plenty of videos showing him at full tilt mode). The thing is i think he's able to bounce back, and main reason why he's so successful playing poker.

H

hedonist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it was well known in the pro circuit that Phil is a fish in the big cash games. Doesn't win often.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Helmut is a great player and what you really like it is the behavior of the table. He was cool and calm playing great right of this game you have to make an example.

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He usually derespect the players on the table, there are many videos him calling the players of idiot.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He usually derespect the players on the table, there are many videos him calling the players of idiot.

I think most people have become immune to his outbursts, but I can see how it would be intimidating - maybe part of his game?

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While Hellmuth’s blow ups might make fans question his behaviour, the results throughout his career have been impressive. Maybe he really is an expert on managing emotions?

Author and economist Allison Schrager featured the “Poker Brat” and his ability to handle emotions in her new book, “An Economist Walks into a Brothel: And Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk.”

‘Poker Brat’ Phil Hellmuth is Apparently an Expert on Managing Emotions

I personally think Phil is greatly lacking in the emotions management department. I think his great career would have been even greater if he didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve or berate/educate his opoonents.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. So maybe having emotional outbursts prevents a bottleneck tilt. Hmm.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His outbursts might work in his favour somehow. Not only does he release negative energy out of his system, but he creates a tilty player image which could potentially induce other players to give him action (when they might not normally do so).

Last edited:
P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me his a good actor if he dont manage ver well on his emotions than why have such a great results

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my childhood, I remember having friends who would always whine or complain like Phil Hellmuth so I find that endearing since it reminds me of my youth.

Not sure if that's an insult or a compliment! :D:D

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, he certainly did a great job branding himself. He's a nice guy off the table according to many, so I guess he is happy outside of poker. He's just a total jerk while playing. But he gets extra exposure because of it, and that sells his products as much as his pedigree. Good on him I guess.