Mike Matusow Defeats Phil Helmuth To Win 2013 NBC HU Championship!

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil second again...LOL
cannot waiting to watch the final game, must be very interesting.

I

inflnlte

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hellmuth coming up a little short but wow, he's been doing so good in tournaments. I dont know how many tournaments he enters but it seems like he goes deep in a lot of them. And congrats to Mike - he finally broke thru. Just shows how you can win something big when it seemed like the game was past him. I think he still played cash and prolly does pretty good so maybe just a tv break.

C

ChipTowerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to see Mike Win its been awhile since he took a major one

$ChipTowerz$

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It funny to see Mike Matusow finally win a big one after a long long time. Even after he made myself believe that the new generation has out class him.

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be a fun heads up match to watch. Cant wait for them to air it on tv.

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it funny?...mike is a great player
I think he means the back and forth between the two will be funny and we all know Phil's blowups when he loses are great. Should be entertaining.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just talking about this. I am so glad mike finally took another championship.
Dont get me wrong I like phil,but mike is an awesome person.
He use to put cash on my tilt account when I was on the felt.
Not a ton,but still he would message me and ask how I was doing.
My friend lived in henderson down the road from him,and we hung in vegas when I was there.
He really is a decent guy,and one hell of an omaha player.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It funny to see Mike Matusow finally win a big one after a long long time. Even after he made myself believe that the new generation has out class him.

Interesting you put it that way, because when you look at his draw he really didn't play much of the "new generation".

He played Michael Mizrachi, Barry Greenstein, John Hennigan, Scott Seiver then ultimately Hellmuth. Seiver is probably the only one on that list that you would really call "new generation".

Unrelated issue - how the hell does John Hennigan even get an invite to this event?!? It's like it's season one of the WPT or something... :p

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
most people dont realize what a good player mike is because of his clowning around. he has his allin bonehead moments but he makes alot of great reads and plays from what ive seen. never cared much for PH arrogance so glad he got beat

SyKoChiller

SyKoChiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will it be on ESPN2 or something else when it comes on in April!?

RiverMeTimbers

RiverMeTimbers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow great event! Really glad to see somebody other than Helmuth win!!

This will be a fun event to watch! Any links?

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a "fan" of Mike the mouth. Would have rather seen Joe Serock take it down. Sharp as a "sea rock".

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't wait to see it. I haven't tried to search for a leak yet of video footage, maybe it's out there somewhere. Tom vs. Phil would have been awesome to watch. I remember how mad Phil got at him with AA vs. TT and Tom sucked out.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just talking about this. I am so glad mike finally took another championship.
Dont get me wrong I like phil,but mike is an awesome person.
He use to put cash on my tilt account when I was on the felt.
Not a ton,but still he would message me and ask how I was doing.
My friend lived in henderson down the road from him,and we hung in vegas when I was there.
He really is a decent guy,and one hell of an omaha player.
Thanx for that. I've always felt the Mikey is the only real person in televised poker. What you see is what you get.

GO MIKEY GO

-

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta say I'm genuinely surprised by the outpouring of love for Mike Matusow - personally I find him to be a huge turnoff when it comes to televised poker. If he's playing, I've really got to force myself to keep watching. His nitty play bores me and his "antics" just annoy me.

Guess I'm the minority.

Jd0ubl3M

Jd0ubl3M

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
well deserved been waiting for him to win a tournament, been a long time!

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think much of Mike's game at all but congrats to him nonetheless.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think much of Mike's game at all but congrats to him nonetheless.

Why is that?

If you're referring to the "old Mike" that was on drugs all the time & was rude @ the tables etc., then I can understand. I can relate in ways.

He's changed though, he's a better man & player since those "old Mike" days.

Maybe really getting to know him now will change your mind on your thoughts of him.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I already do. I was referring solely to his poker ability and not his demeanor by the way, but since you bring it up, he's (still) a bit of a toolbag. I have no problem with that though because it adds comedic value to his interviews.

Again, happy for him he shipped this year's NBC HU. Maybe he'll pay off some of his debts.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh. His poker ability is great though so again I'm confused. lol

He makes +EV plays, makes great reads, makes great laydowns @ times, knows how to get info from others @ the table & knows equity value in pots.

hopedieslast

hopedieslast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha i watched phil with A j offsuit against those qq j on flop calls all in a on river haha, then he hits that a q on the river ace against that k 8....i guess he used all his lifes and heads up was his third life?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mikey prolly put the laugh on him. Sent him into an early tilt.

Ohhh, I sure hope that's how it went. Every hand he wins, Mikey leans back in his chair and lets loose the laugh... acompanird by a little playing advise to Phil. BwaaaaHaHaaaaaaa...

-

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously? It doesn't air until April 20th. I could understand if it was next week. I don't see how anyone can exist in the poker world without finding out before then. You would probably have to live under a rock - or at a minimum avoid all contact with the poker world until the show airs. I have seen it all over the place since it happened - some forums even have the news story on their homepage. :p

We are a poker forum with a news forum for breaking news. Proper thread titles are important. :)
I beg to differ. I somehow didn't even see this thread until today and even then the only reason I opened it was because I assumed it was an April Fools joke! I was unaware that they even still did the NBC HU games let alone who won it. I am somewhat pleased with myself for knowing who both of these players are though. Of course it doesn't matter to me about spoiling it since I won't be watching anyway just pointing out that it's possible for someone who is here everyday to be completely ignorant of what's happening in lolpro poker.