Guy Laliberte was arrested for growing cannabis

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Marijuana will someday be legal across the globe,,,,:deal: Now think about ALL the people who were arrested/jailed over the years,,,, :eek: Now,that's a crime.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He thought that because it was his private island he could do whatever he wanted .He forgot that there are some places where cannabis growing is illegal.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It was a small amount , just for personal use , maybe also for some health problems ?? He's not , apparently , a drug dealer lol . Why they arrest him is a mystery , as well as who the snitch was .

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was just spreading joy in this world. how unfair

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These things are known it is allowed in some countries and not in others. Personally, though not to use I believe that alcohol is more evil, but the basic is to respect the law of the country where you are, even more than he could live in any country they choose. Unfortunately it was amateur.

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A billionaire getting arrested? I'm down with that, even if the reason is a joke.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Up ten years for growing personal use cannabis seems nuts to us on the West Coast USA these days, but those french laws :( :(

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Marijuana will someday be legal across the globe,,,,:deal: Now think about ALL the people who were arrested/jailed over the years,,,, :eek: Now,that's a crime.
Personally I don't think it is newsworthy. if you haven't been caught you haven't been smoking or growing enough. :D

:rock:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He can probably afford a pretty good lawyer.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I do not use hemp, but at the same time I do not consider this a big evil !!! I hope the first time for him it will be only a monetary punishment !!! He broke the law, and he must answer for it !!! He was incredibly lucky that he did not sow hemp the whole island))))))))))))))))

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally I don't think it is newsworthy. if you haven't been caught you haven't been smoking or growing enough. :D

It's probably newsworthy because of his status - this would not be any level of news if it were you or I.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's probably newsworthy because of his status - this would not be any level of news if it were you or I.
It might not be newsworthy but if it happened to you in the USA your mugshot would be released to the media and then immortalized 4eva on the internet by websites that specialize in outing arrest records no matter how minor the crime you are accused of. lol. There are not any mugshots of me anywhere but there are countless mugshots of people on the internet who were busted for things like smoking weed.

Just something to think about for people who may engage in activities that may result in their arrest.

Last edited:
Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
capable was for own consumption

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunate for Guy Laliberte but we should all respect the local laws. On the bright side, French Polynesia looks like an absolute paradise!! :D:eek:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I wasn't going to comment on this issue at first, but...

As someone who has lived on 3 different continents, and visited numerous countries, it always strikes me as 'first world' when the western/rich interloper decide they are fit to ignore a lesser countries laws. I can assure you - yes could have been a set up, yes, could be corruption ….and it's just as likely that the local authorities were hacked off at someone arrogantly ignoring local law.

And by the by, if talking about a relaxed attitude to cannabis, well, you still can't light up a doobie anywhere you feel across the entire US of A, nor can you anywhere and everywhere in Europe.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Now thats what a sane person would say:hmmmm2:

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I can see why, I just don't think it is, people shouldn't be treated differently just because of a bank balance, (pro or con) now if it was a preventable work death that he was responsible for, that would be news. ;)

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the problems of legalizing cannabis is that people can grow their own too easily, even if not to make a living out of it but for their own habit and friends. The legalizer movement hate this because they want to create big business out of it and governments want all the extra taxes that they can waste on whatever new lies they are telling us.

You can be sure the billionaire will be completely fine here, the only times billionaires get into trouble is when they mess with other big money. In this world that kind of money can basically give you freedom to do and be whatever you want. The Sacklers are proof of this. They are deliberately making addicts of people but will never go to jail and never have their personal fortunes taken away.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
He will definitely hire some good lawyers to defend him. :p

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah, french laws ... Poor him. But I didn't know he was a poker player.
Liberté!

He's not just another rich poker enthusiast, he's a philanthropist in the world of poker (and a philanthropist in general), he founded the non-profit One Drop Foundation and, tied in with that, launched the Big One for One Drop annual poker event, with buy-ins ranging from $111,111 to a whopping $1million for the "Big One" main event. So that's what makes this story newsworthy, and particularly newsworthy to the poker community compared to if some other rich poker player got busted for growing weed. It's a billionaire poker player who actually puts his wealth and fame to good use, trying to make the world a better place, who's looking at the risk of jail time for a crime that (just my personal opinion here) should not be a crime in this day and age.