The 2022 WSOP and COVID-19 - Report #3

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Chris Wallace had hoped to give us all the lowdown a few times a week from the 2022 wsop in Las Vegas, but he has been a bit under the weather due to the misfortune of having COVID. While on the road to recovery he has been able to put his third report together. As usual, another great read.

Fox Report #3: World Series of COVID

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!🙋‍♀️💞
What a pity to read that the WSOP has not passed this terrible infection! 😱
I wish a speedy recovery to Chris, Phil and all the players affected by this terrible fate. 💞
When will we all forget about this virus as a terrible dream? This is a rhetorical question.😔
Thanks Shelley for keeping us posted.🌺

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chris Wallace had hoped to give us all the lowdown a few times a week from the 2022 WSOP in Las Vegas, but he has been a bit under the weather due to the misfortune of having COVID. While on the road to recovery he has been able to put his third report together. As usual, another great read.

Fox Report #3: World Series of COVID

I was in town for the Housewarming flight 1d for 3 days, played that and one game at the Orleans and came back with COVID. There must have been a number of COVID positive folks at that flight because from what I hear it's spread like wild fire.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was in town for the Housewarming flight 1d for 3 days, played that and one game at the Orleans and came back with COVID. There must have been a number of COVID positive folks at that flight because from what I hear it's spread like wild fire.
Just ugh, Johnny. Not the gift you expected to come home with! I do hope you are on the road to recovery, too!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I find it a little hard to muster the energy to comment, because from a long time ago it was predictable there was going to be an acceptable level of infection and reinfection. Not too long ago, I shocked someone who thought the US situation was 'resolved' by pointing out that around 200 or so Americans were still dying on any given day.

There are arguments on either side about whether removing all protocols made sense for visitors to Las Vegas specifically. However, what I personally find mind-numbingly stupid is nobody had enough common sense at the WSOP to at least seriously recommend all attendees wear masks, let alone, god forbid, mandate the measure.

Further, when I surprised my friend with the fact that a few hundred were dying in the US everyday, I also pointed out as a common sense precaution, many Asian countries, in spite of the fact infection rates have plummeted are still urging their populations to wear masks and utilize hand sanitizers etc, when entering or leaving public areas. Why? Because Covid is still claiming victims, even if at a diminished rate, and if you have a population which never politicized the pandemic it is fairly easy for them to continue to maintain sensible protocols in public.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One of the reasons why my wife was pushing me to cancel my trip to the WSOP was to prevent the family from getting covid and keeping the kids safe. With eveything thats going on I am not surprised this is becoming a super spreader try of event. After what we all have been through the last 2+ years I would not be surprised people who have or suspect thay have covid would just play anyways. Lucky for me "well depending on how you look at it" I got coid 3+ weeks ago and have recoved and cant get it again for a few month so I will be safe in Vegas starting tomorrow. For the most part I will still wear my mask but if its anything like home, 95% of the people you see dont wear any mask anymore. .

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I find it a little hard to muster the energy to comment, because from a long time ago it was predictable there was going to be an acceptable level of infection and reinfection. Not too long ago, I shocked someone who thought the US situation was 'resolved' by pointing out that around 200 or so Americans were still dying on any given day.

There are arguments on either side about whether removing all protocols made sense for visitors to Las Vegas specifically. However, what I personally find mind-numbingly stupid is nobody had enough common sense at the WSOP to at least seriously recommend all attendees wear masks, let alone, god forbid, mandate the measure.

Further, when I surprised my friend with the fact that a few hundred were dying in the US everyday, I also pointed out as a common sense precaution, many Asian countries, in spite of the fact infection rates have plummeted are still urging their populations to wear masks and utilize hand sanitizers etc, when entering or leaving public areas. Why? Because Covid is still claiming victims, even if at a diminished rate, and if you have a population which never politicized the pandemic it is fairly easy for them to continue to maintain sensible protocols in public.
I am of the belief that, we live in a somewhat civilized society with copious amounts of REAL information available. The science doesn't lie.

Just the small gesture of wearing a mask has had a tremendous affect on our health. In my tiny state, at a world renowned hospital, this is an astonishing fact.
Winter of 2019/2020 there were more than 2000 cases of pediatric Flu. This was pre mask.
2020/2021 there was .........ZERO.
Is the hospital in on the "hoax"

I wondered how the masks affect one's oxygen levels. I had a medical procedure Oct. 2020 and while waiting for the surgery, I was wearing a surgical mask. my Oxygen levels were 100.

I started wearing a mask before it was mandated. I was told at my work if I continued to wear a mask, I would be suspended.
I have been wearing a mask in public since. I wear one to protect myself and my family. There are still over 200 people hospitalized every day in my tiny state.

If you see me at the WSOP, I will be wearing a mask.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am of the belief that, we live in a somewhat civilized society with copious amounts of REAL information available. The science doesn't lie.

Just the small gesture of wearing a mask has had a tremendous affect on our health. In my tiny state, at a world renowned hospital, this is an astonishing fact.
Winter of 2019/2020 there were more than 2000 cases of pediatric Flu. This was pre mask.

I wondered how the masks affect one's oxygen levels. I had a medical procedure Oct. 2020 and while waiting for the surgery, I was wearing a surgical mask. my Oxygen levels were 100.

I started wearing a mask before it was mandated. I was told at my work if I continued to wear a mask, I would be suspended.
I have been wearing a mask in public since. I wear one to protect myself and my family. There are still over 200 people hospitalized every day in my tiny state.

Absolutely natsgrampy.

I raised this issue myself elsewhere in the dedicated Coronavirus thread. Globally, the rates of flu transmission were astonishingly low throughout the pandemic. It was projected for many in large cities such as London and New York during flu season when using public transportation it would be a sensible measure to don a mask to avoid flu/colds and a lot of sensible people appear to now do so.

Regarding the WSOP, is just made sense to encourage mask wearing, nothing political about it (and now everyone knows this full well). Sorry about the work scenario.

Good luck to you and Luvepoker if you both play at the WSOP!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I too am still diligently wearing my mask while out in public. Prior to COVID, I didn't wear a mask in public but I have always been very careful about touching surfaces in public (ie. door handles, elevator buttons, key/touch pad at grocery checkout &/or ATM machines). I know this alone can make a huge difference as far as contracting a cold virus, the flu, etc. We have two sickly people in our household, but with advanced Stage 4 disease (myself & my partner)... we cannot afford to contract any type of bug if we can help it. Since COVID came out, I've always felt that if I can do something to help with the overall picture, to help keep my neighbors safe, to help the healthcare system , etc., I will do so. Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience for me (I could see it being a bit of a hassle in some work environments though and I do appreciate those who endure this).
I'd actually welcome the thought of wearing a mask at a poker table... one more way in which to conceal one's tells. (a necessity for me)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have been following some Twitter feeds and have heard some reports of dealers who appear to be very sick while working at the tables. :( I hope they're going to be okay for the rest of the series. (sure hope things get better for next year... it might be the last and only time I get to go and play the WSOP in Vegas)
Good luck in your games guys!!! And stay healthy!

WSOP