What is your most general advice?

T

Teranu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although i have some basic info about how to play this game, i consider myself a real newbie. I play 2-5$ SNGs and my bankroll is increasing, but i don't know why i'm winning, and especially why i'm losing (when i do). I feel that luck and some kind of knowledge is increasing my bankroll for now, but i'm pretty sure it's not scalable.

So, what is your most general advice that you can give me?

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from the top of my head...

1) Patience is key. Wait for your chances, they will come.
2) Buy-ins are usually too high, but they can also be too low.
3) Taking notes and keeping stats for analysis is very important.

Analyzing my own stats, I realized that my balance between luck and bad luck was off. My conclusion was that I had to bluff roughly twice as often as I did in order to win more often. To my surprise, being more risky actually worked, especially my late game (in SNGs) became much better.

Before though, in the middle section, I still had too many fails. I checked my stats again and realized that my calls were still off. While my bets were now appropriately aggressive, I still called too many "bluffs" - meaning: bluffs that weren't bluffs.

So, I adjusted again and started believing strange bets and reraises more often than I usually did. Now, at least when it comes to SNGs with regular blinds, I am almost unbeatable. I win them very often. :)

GL & I hoppe that was helpful!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Download the history of the hands you played to view them in Poker Tracker 3 or 4, Holdem Manager 2 or 3, Hand2Note and find out what you could have done differently to avoid losing or win more.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
be calm always, control your emotion

always focus on long term profitability, odds and implied odds and don't mind the result of the hand

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more,be patient, do some work after games(analyze hands,watch some tournaments)

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the main advice is to constantly work on the game and not tilt

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study up, and don't look for advice in forums like this!

Seriously though, patience is key, and nothing replaces experience. There are no shortcuts, other than immoral or illegal ones like having a bot play for you.

Having a sharp analytical or mathematically focused mind will surely give you an advantage- anyone lacking these skills I believe would not be a winning player overall.

YRAGAGARIN

YRAGAGARIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Self-discipline is the foundation

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When making a decision, we are confident in that moment. But, your evolution journey is open.
Play twice as often as you study.
When you win something big, don't change your bankroll management or study habits.
Choose a mode of poker and get really good at it.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although i have some basic info about how to play this game, i consider myself a real newbie. I play 2-5$ SNGs and my bankroll is increasing, but i don't know why i'm winning, and especially why i'm losing (when i do). I feel that luck and some kind of knowledge is increasing my bankroll for now, but i'm pretty sure it's not scalable.

So, what is your most general advice that you can give me?
you just need to analyze your play and eliminate leaks + regular analysis of your hand base

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best advice is to stick to BRM and be calm, don't tilt