Table Chat----NH and TY, are you required to respond?

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing a couple of days ago and someone did a NH to me and I did not respond. The next thing I know he is saying F you among other obscenities directed towards me. I hardly ever chat and could care less about NH TY GG and things of that nature. Are you required to respond to someone that is trying to table chat when you could care less?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Chatting is not mandatory in any games. It can be a polite thing to do but no-one should not require anyone to say anything.

Becoming provoked or provoking others is never a good thing. We should never attack on other players in chat - especially in CC games which would also be against our rules - but even here chatting during a game is not required.

Personally I keep my chat muted/hidden (if possible) most times.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Players who insult others during the game are just stupid pigs who are no longer capable of anything. In my opinion, such behavior is not acceptable. But in general, I rarely pay attention to conversations during the game.
Good luck.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The cat who insulted me would not have known a good hand if it slapped him in the face. After I knocked him out, I did type in ( Gonna miss him ). Should I have typed GG ?

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Bad table manners spice up the game for me ... at online games!!! Live, I wouldn't really know how to react.

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I will respond with a NH or GG etc... But, in general, I try not to use the chat box, and keep it open to see who's winning- and with what hands; if i happen to miss one...

I used to keep my chat muted or blocked, and have blocked certain vulgar players at times. Everyone has an edge in poker, and there are some players, where chatting, is part of their edge. This isn't really my style or forte, however, if a player is chatting, then I definitely find that reading what they have to say to be beneficial and "free information" about the player- telling you more about their state-of-mind, and increasing your odds of winning against them.

So, even if i respond with something as simple as "NH" will change and create a "table image" that will tell others that I'm paying attention and alert, which may or may not be something that you may want them to know.

But definitely not mandatory! haha. As humans, our natural inclination (for most people) is to respond when talked to - verbally or in chat. So sometimes it may feel like we need to say something or have to say something, or respond, but we absolutely do not have to. :) Personally, I've found it more beneficial not to respond or engage in any way, because then I'm not giving away any "free information".

It helps me to block or mute chat, but then i might be missing out on some information that may lead to a double up.

:)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Outside of the rules, you are not required to do anything... :smile:

Following etiquette and having good tables manners is recommended, but not compulsory.

In CardsChat's games, our rules state that we behave civilly, specifically:

• We expect members to be respectful of one another. Rude, abusive, insulting behavior or language will not be tolerated on the forum. Personal attacks on other members, inflammatory posts and hate speech will not be tolerated. This rule extends to CardsChat private games and events.

Hope this clarifies things somewhat, essentially, it's up to you! :wink:

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I hardly pay attention to conversations at the tables, in my opinion I don't have to answer, because I'm focused on the game and not on the conversations, I don't want to lose concentration

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I will respond with a NH or GG etc... But, in general, I try not to use the chat box, and keep it open to see who's winning- and with what hands; if i happen to miss one...

I used to keep my chat muted or blocked, and have blocked certain vulgar players at times. Everyone has an edge in poker, and there are some players, where chatting, is part of their edge. This isn't really my style or forte, however, if a player is chatting, then I definitely find that reading what they have to say to be beneficial and "free information" about the player- telling you more about their state-of-mind, and increasing your odds of winning against them.

So, even if i respond with something as simple as "NH" will change and create a "table image" that will tell others that I'm paying attention and alert, which may or may not be something that you may want them to know.

But definitely not mandatory! haha. As humans, our natural inclination (for most people) is to respond when talked to - verbally or in chat. So sometimes it may feel like we need to say something or have to say something, or respond, but we absolutely do not have to. :) Personally, I've found it more beneficial not to respond or engage in any way, because then I'm not giving away any "free information".

It helps me to block or mute chat, but then i might be missing out on some information that may lead to a double up.

:)
I think you hit the bullseye. This goes along with not showing cards. I see someone shove preflop from early position and win the blinds and then show a pair of threes and I think to myself what was he thinking.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yaaa, dudes spouting rudeness like that are just plain creeps. One good thing though...at least you know you got under his skin and you can use that to your advantage and maybe knock him out lol

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I was playing a couple of days ago and someone did a NH to me and I did not respond. The next thing I know he is saying F you among other obscenities directed towards me. I hardly ever chat and could care less about NH TY GG and things of that nature. Are you required to respond to someone that is trying to table chat when you could care less?

Well i usually dont answer to that kind of insults (nh ty gg) ^ either ...

Lupus

Lupus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I love the mute button for the nasty folk. I rarely if ever chat.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of folks shouldn't have the chat on because they could be doing really stupid stuff by their plays ruining a game and to them they're thinking they're playing well but more experienced people at the table are thinking they're wasting their time and the time of the players at the table.

I can't tell you how many stud and stud8 hands Ive played with folks auto raising with trash hands to the max every hand and every street and not considering what other ppl have and folks have hands worth calling all those bets and the donk hits some miracle card and takes down a huge pot.

Or calling stations playing every hand giving me the right odds to play a hand that I normally wouldn't play heads up or short handed.

Or you could have silly calling stations that you know for a fact are going to call a pot but they take their time calling, lol.

I mean there are so many silly stupid things that people do to a game and they have zero clue that they're annoying people with whatever they're doing and think they're not doing anything wrong, lol.

And on top of that when you tell them what they're doing then THEY'LL GET UPSET, lol. Its unbelievable. And thats on top of stupid people that KNOW they're doing stupid stuff at a table like stalling at a cash table that has no purpose what so ever.

Post is already long, that's one situation but there are plenty others. Best that a lot of folks just turn the chat off.

But people shouldn't be cursing or getting personal with you regardless of what is going on at the table .

Last edited:
coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i rarely chat.... if i am multitabling i just don't have time.
if i do see someone chatting i will open it up to see what they're saying. if it's some idiot i will tag them as a fish and look to get in hands with them.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have chat turned off. I find it distracting..
Jim

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm taking the advice...

Turning off my chat once and for all.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's required, sometimes a player just says NH because he or she just lost a good hand, so it seems that it's just out of sportsmanship. But then you get players who say it after every hand. That's just a little too much. Oops strayed away from the question. No, it is not required.:)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If among friends, I don't have any trouble with NH or GG. In a normal online poker setting with a bunch or strangers, I have a hard time saying NH if I don't mean it, whether with a sarcastic tone or not. BUT if I do say NH, then I mean it.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If among friends, I don't have any trouble with NH or GG. In a normal online poker setting with a bunch or strangers, I have a hard time saying NH if I don't mean it, whether with a sarcastic tone or not. BUT if I do say NH, then I mean it.
This makes a lot of sense. You have a dialogue with the people that you know and play with on a regular basis. On the other hand if you are against someone that you are not familiar with and they suck out a bad beat on you and you give them a nh, the true meaning is I just paid the "Fish Tax" and I hope you keep playing and do the same thing again and again.
So NH has different meanings and can be used to express different feelings depending on the situation at hand!

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I don't know if I'd call it a requirement but it's just courteous, imo. I used to play a lot of live poker so I'm just kinda geared towards a response or comment on a hand if I'm involved. Sometimes I don't see the chat right away and players can get a little pissed if you don't respond in a certain amount of time. I try not to let any of that bother me, though. After all, I am after their $ so if they get a little bitchy because of it then I can usually needle them w/3-bets and bluffs until they shove at the wrong time and "BAM!", gotcha.