Seriously, Is There Enough Time?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Krista slams down the mouse, clicks FOLD and screams: “Mean bully!” at the computer monitor. On the green table felt suddenly is written…
The 5 minute break will start when hands on all tables are completed

“Yikes”, Krista jumps up, out of the black gaming chair. She spins the chair out of her way and runs out of the bedroom converted to computer room. She fumbles with the buttons of her shorts, as she turns right into the bathroom. The faded blue jeans shorts fall to her ankles, and she flips up the toilet seat….

Krista scrubs soap over her hands, drys them and checks her reflection in the mirror. “Yikes I need hurry!” On the counter, she runs water into the kettle and flicks on the switch. Selects a Chai tea bag and readies it in the mug. Munches on a crispy energy Fiber1 bar from the box on the shelf.

The muffled whine is from her Westie, the white terrier looks up to her with soulful, pleading eyes. “Sorry Piper yes you hungry, i sorry.” She pours dog food bits into the dish from the Tupperware container.

Krista adds boiling water to the mug. Tea drink in hand she returns to the computer room.

OMG!! From the doorway she sees her next hand on the screen, looks like Ace Ace both red! Rushes to her computer. She pushes the chair out of her path, the hot tea spills out onto the floor tiles. She reaches, almost dives for the mouse.

“Oh No!” She sees two players are all in prior the flop. Krista grips the oval mouse, the white arrowhead hovers over the betting array, on the MAX button… click.
Too late. Her hand is folded. Krista starts to cry. :(

Question…. Is five minutes enough time for hourly break? :confused:

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Grinders Prepare

Krista slams down the mouse, clicks FOLD and screams: “Mean bully!” at the computer monitor. On the green table felt suddenly is written…

“Yikes”, Krista jumps up, out of the black gaming chair. She spins the chair out of her way and runs out of the bedroom converted to computer room. She fumbles with the buttons of her shorts, as she turns right into the bathroom. The faded blue jeans shorts fall to her ankles, and she flips up the toilet seat….

Krista scrubs soap over her hands, drys them and checks her reflection in the mirror. “Yikes I need hurry!” On the counter, she runs water into the kettle and flicks on the switch. Selects a Chai tea bag and readies it in the mug. Munches on a crispy energy Fiber1 bar from the box on the shelf.

The muffled whine is from her Westie, the white terrier looks up to her with soulful, pleading eyes. “Sorry Piper yes you hungry, i sorry.” She pours dog food bits into the dish from the Tupperware container.

Krista adds boiling water to the mug. Tea drink in hand she returns to the computer room.

OMG!! From the doorway she sees her next hand on the screen, looks like Ace Ace both red! Rushes to her computer. She pushes the chair out of her path, the hot tea spills out onto the floor tiles. She reaches, almost dives for the mouse.

“Oh No!” She sees two players are all in prior the flop. Krista grips the oval mouse, the white arrowhead hovers over the betting array, on the MAX button… click.

Thank you for posting.

I from experience know I only have time for the bathroom break. All else I get ready before I play a hand. Dog food in bowl waiting to be put on floor. Tea in thermos ready to be poured snacks nearby. Timer near computer set for 4 minutes etc etc etc.

The real grinders do not even leave their computer for bathroom breaks ewwwww. LOL

Hope this helps

:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I kind of agree, the breaks could be a bit longer especially for tournaments, that last a very long time. If I want to do anything in the break other than make a pee, I often find, I am sitting out on some of my tables, when I come back. Not a huge deal though, unless it was exactly AA, that was folded.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny story, I have noticed many times that it is worth only to move away from the computer, so you are immediately handed out premium hands. It’s hard to say, on the one hand, 5 minutes is very short, but on the other hand, if the breaks lasted longer - tournaments would last much longer and it would lose the limits of a normal game. I think that if a person plays MTT, he should prepare food and drinks in advance.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I Love this description, I really do...

You are going to be one to watch out for on CardsChat...

In Krista's Case, NO there is not enough time Every hour to take her break and feed "Piper".

Generally Five Minutes is enough time to have a Pee but not much else...

:elefant:

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very descriptive story. Have you tried that between hands? Even harder.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty graphic silly story:0) I had that happen to me once "( the A's not the whole potty, tea and dog thing)". :0) 5 minutes does go kind of fast so 10 would probably be the right amount to me. Good luck out there and keep grinding:0)

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get frustrated when its break time. Its always right when im getting momentum.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
thank you all for your comments
make i should no drink so much water when i playing poker? *grins*

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
5 minutes or less is what one gets, enough or not enough doesn't matter. Make it 10 & procrastinators & the entitled chronically late would schedule 11.5 minutes of stuff to do during that break. So the answer is yes.

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha great way to ask a simple question! love it.
I completely agree tho not much time at all. i usually have time to make coffee and a little sandwhich or something or go to the bathroom, but not both. and i have to time every second to make it in time. i was thinking if they did even 7 minutes it would already be much better. Or switching from 10 min and 5 min breaks every other hour.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, totally agree with you. Those 5 min break is not always a 5 min break. Usually its like 2 or so. In this time i only have time for a quick bathroom. If i want to take a snack or something its almost impossible.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post! I think even a couple more minutes (lucky 7? lol) would be great :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Easy solution is to play on your mobile or tablet device when you need to move around and do some things. You will lose hand history for that duration, but you won't be as hurried.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just want to say I enjoyed reading your story a lot and have been there many times :). Usually I just tell myself I would have gotten unlucky and busted lol.

On your question, yes I think 5 minutes is enough bc any more and mtts would take even longer to finish. I also come from the old school days where we had to pee in bottles or use the laptop :) bc there were no breaks

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Hit sit out and do not worry about or watch hands auto folded.
Break is important so is hydration.
If I know I need more than 5 mins on break I leave before break action is normally slow before and after break anyways.
5 mins before break+ 5 mins break+ 5 mins after break= 15 mins {I can get lots of things done in that time}
If on pokerstars and you really want to stay in the game you can use a mobile device with wifi like a smartphone or tablet. The mobile App supports all games except homegames, 5 card Omaha games and draw games.
Stir pot with one hand three bet with other I do it all the time.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG if your poker talent is as good as your writing the game just got tougher lol.Personally i think maybe a minute added to 2nd and 3rd breaks,leaving it on 7 mins for the rest of tourney,something along those lines.Honestly i played higher buy-ins finally after my personal best a while ago but the dog /puppy came along at the same time...so i was making it to ITM playing more seriously than ever in my life and doing well at it...but dealing with the pup during or outside breaks was an absolute killer.Im still gutted ..so many years of frustration ,time,effort energy,emotional rollercoasters to finally make it and this beautiful dog comes along and feels like a prison :( im still so so gutted.finally had money to enjoy my freedom,and the freedom was gone.Words can barely explain...but yes an extra couple of minutes when the blinds are up a bit higher would be a very good thing.Dogs name was suzy q when i got her ,but im changing it to Loosey Aggro hehe,shes so so beautiful and loves me to bits so im a bit stuck really lol dammit,rrrr poker mountain is always such a tough climb and there always seems to be another hurdle comes along,lifes like that i guess,love your writing Krista gl to you and Piper,cool name too btw.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When I started reading the initial thread I thought I was reliving one of my own experiences, except my dog's name is Snigglet. It happened about 10 yrs ago. Since then I've made sure everything I can control is taken care of before I start playing. I keep an empty Gatorade bottle around just for emergencies, lol. The post about converting to a laptop is worth consideration, imo. :stupido2: Good luck.

G

Gaaangster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Whenever I’m UTG and I don’t have a hand I usually fold and take a 1-2 min break. I usually make it back in time to decide whether I’m going to defend from the BB or 3bet ;)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That always hurts to see a big hand time out.

Five minutes is enough time for a bio break.

If I need to do something while in a tournament - I "sit out" for a minute or two and attend to whatever matter is pressing.

Good luck !

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
It has happened to me too
But.... 5 min is a very good time for your necessities
Nothing else
Rgds

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very fun made-up situation... one in which has actually happened to me (although maybe my aces weren't both red). I'd say 5 minutes is an appropriate amount because most of the time I end up just sitting there doing nothing anyway. Just hope the trip to the bathroom doesn't take too long!

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, in big tournaments should be at least 10 min break. Few times ive didnt get on time from bathroom and saw that my AA or KK was folded.

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me 5 minutes is not always enough. Although at any time, you can make yourself an extra break. But if the break was 10 minutes, I think it would be better.