Pop Quiz of the day! What does he have and call or not?

Would you call? (See post for details)

• Yes

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hey guys,

I experienced something funny and I wanted to share it with you:
This game is a satellite for a $109 MTT, where you can qualify via some all-in or fold satellites quite cheap and this way sometimes you end up with several 100 BBs.

Some people obviously do not have the patience to play properly this deep and often go All-in on boards with SPR >> 10.

This player has been doing it 3 times already. (With around 30ish hands played.)

I get the Kings in BB, he raises to 3 BBs, I 3-bet to 9 BBs and he calls.

Flop comes
4c9hQc and he jams on me and has me covered. See here:
Screenshot 2023 08 22 19 54 06 60 280f49ecfad0573521ef0e125ceb9b19

Question:
To call or not to call (please vote) and write in the comments what you think he has.
Note: I know that by real poker rules, this is a fold due to SPR and overpair only but since he's not doing it the first time, he can't have the true nuts every time, IMHO.

I called and will post the solution once a few people have voted/ commented

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Call in this type of tournament. I think he has a lot more hands than sets or aces (aka hands that beat you).

If I can just pick one hand: AQ. He wants it in before the board gets scary.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
This player has been doing it 3 times already. (With around 30ish hands played.)

I get the Kings in BB, he raises to 3 BBs, I 3-bet to 9 BBs and he calls.
For sure call...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Call and see
1. QQ 🤡
2. :ah4::qh4: 🥰, turn and river :jh4::10h4:

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Call.Reason:the aggresive allin is screaming dont call.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Note: I know that by real poker rules, this is a fold due to SPR and overpair only but since he's not doing it the first time, he can't have the true nuts every time, IMHO.
Yeah!
I called and will post the solution once a few people have voted/ commented
I am curious...

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Board is nasty with straight and flush draws and you're both over 200+ BBs (right?) which is still a lot in a hyper.

Doesn't make sense to inflate the pot against a bingo player like that with that board. Play the structure and not the cards.

It doesn't matter if they get lucky with a set of 4s, Q9 or a donk two pair like 49 because that example is all about board recognition where they're probably going to be live even if you have an over pair and you're 200+BBs deep.

That type of player will give you opportunity all day long but you need the right board to double up off them. Don't 3x them, out play their chart cards and bingo plays.

Id play the structure and not the cards.

You can call and see if another nasty cards comes but you're making the game 10 times harder because it doesn't make sense to keep going with that board because like I said, that player even in a hyper that deep, will keep putting out bets giving you all the opportunity you need to take them out or someone else will take them out or cripple them.

I just would look for another spot, you're too deep even in a hyper.

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Another big question would be how much is this sat worth and how many tickets are in it?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Another big question would be how much is this sat worth and how many tickets are in it?
It's a sat for a $109 MTT and there are exactly 3 tickets. Usually it has a (slight) overlay, so around or less than 30 players in it.

Regular buy-in is $11 but usually you get in much cheaper via the all-in or fold flips, which are $0.55 each. Often I get in for like 3-5$. I don't remember how much I spent here.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Really, in these big blind ranges, people don't have the patience (I myself have a lot of difficulty), but this is due to a lack of study.
Of course, our game strategy must be more relaxed regarding calls and sizes to extract values and play strong hands, inflating the deep stack well.
I don't know how to tell you precisely if it's an easy call against smal's range.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a sat for a $109 MTT and there are exactly 3 tickets. Usually it has a (slight) overlay, so around or less than 30 players in it.

Regular buy-in is $11 but usually you get in much cheaper via the all-in or fold flips, which are $0.55 each. Often I get in for like 3-5$. I don't remember how much I spent here.
So is it not worth it to play that a bit longer instead of flipping so early on for 500+ BB (more like 250 BB for you, 500 for him)? I get that it's the right move against the player, but maybe not for the situation?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
So is it not worth it to play that a bit longer instead of flipping so early on for 500+ BB (more like 250 BB for you, 500 for him)? I get that it's the right move against the player, but maybe not for the situation?
Of course you're right. ☺️

That's why I said I know it's not the right move to call and wait for the undisputed nuts to do so. 🙈

But sometimes I lack the patience with such a play tbh and I was just curious who's on board with me. 🤪

But yes, patience is part of poker and who knows if I might have won the ticket here with folding but who knows. 🤓

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If he had QQ he would surely not jam, but bet to lure you in. I assume he has AQ, so you are ahead. But if that A comes down you are probably out. I'd probably fold.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In case you haven't seen, here's the hand and runout:

I played the same sattie today.

A lot of fishes and donkeys in it but this time I had the patience. At the FT, I went in as mid stack. There was one big stack and I had tons of notes on him already:
Calling station & bluffer sums it up quite well.

He often showed his cards and bluffed me away but I didn't tilt and waited for my spots. 🤓

He doubled me up each time when I had QQ and AA. 😎

So I was 2nd now and avoided another confrontation with him. He finally took out one of the shorties with J7o vs. ATs AIPF and he hit trips of 7s. 😁

Now I have tickets for some big tournaments but still waiting for my big bink. 🤩

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have seen him do this 3 times already, its kind of an easy call. Let him show you a hand, which beat your KK, or try to get there. Checked the spoiler now, and he had exactly the kind of hand, we would expect to see most of the time. This time he got there, which must feel good :)