Pocket Jacks

G

Gam40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Euurrggh. I hate this hand but keep running into it.

How do you guys play this horrible hand? I variate between agro and passive.

Any strategy from you guys?

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The hand can look much better than it is. I try to look at this hand as a cautionary hand and be ready to abort the hand when I see fit. No need in going broke with a hand that isn’t that great. I actually use the precautions for many hands. Rather be safe than sorry. You can only go broke (without rebuys) once so I try not to make that happen.

M

Maximum

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends cash or MTT .In cash games i play this hand cautiosly ,i mean I don't go raise/bet/bet/bet ,depends v who you are playing and what is board .
In MTT depends on how many BBs you have ,if you are deep(more than 60bb) play like cash game ,in you are mid stack (60-30bb) little bit more aggressive ,and you have less than 30bb i usually 3bet all in or open 2.5bb

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I treat JJ as a medium pair and play it carefully. I don't raise high with her before the flop.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well there's a saying:
There are three ways to play the Jacks and they are all wrong. :ROFLMAO:

I also have a love-hate relationship with them.

How to play it pre-flop depends a lot on the effective stack, your position, the action before you. Post-flop of course on the community cards and the pre-flop action.

So hard to give general advice.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

It all depends on the situation. In most cases, I play aggressively. But you need to understand who your rivals are and what decisions they are ready for. Just keep a close eye on your opponents.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I actually love pocket jack but hate Kings. go figure.

I think Jackes are easy to play to be honest. It's a top tier hand than once the flop hit can be easy to just fold if needed. I may not fold to one over card but once the 2nd comes, I am pretty OK with folding if needed,

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very good hand but as with everything in poker, it all depends on the situation. Sometimes they get cracked and sometimes they can crack Aces...Or, as I have heard: sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It depends on game format, position and stack. In a MTT, I would probably play aggro except if we are close to the bubble.
In a SNG I prefer slow play JJ and hope to see a flop with small cards only.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I play JJ as if it was nines 99. it depends also on the format, cash or mtt. and in mtts sometimes you have to gamble where you push preflop or call allins preflop.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, jax are definitely an ambiguous hand pf. They kinda suck in early position and can feel weak to a really nice raise in late pos/blinds. I've mucked them pf and was lucky to do so on many occasions. Of course that would depend on stack size, position, or near the bubble if in a trny.
Seeing a flop is always a good thing so if you can, feel out the villains w/a raise in late-pos and go from there my friend. GL.

Grabobbe

Grabobbe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I kinda love all pairs. I do play them relatively defensively, but hit another one with a pocket pair, and people are lost trying to guess what you have. There is always really nice money to steal from people, when that happens. Especially from the aggresive ones...
If you don’t hit the third one, it can get quite ugly to not fold with them, though… I have seen many inexperienced players insist, that even with a queen and a king on the table, their jacks must be the better hand. 😜

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
All in on preflope with JJ. Practically everyonetime

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Three higher cards are available to beat JJ, careful what you bet.

Y

yabu77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Min raise,bet all the way until the higher ones appear.

mbermejo174

mbermejo174

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
watch for the flop and hope you got the higher pair lol!

GiGiCat

GiGiCat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Play them like any mid pair, they're just the first of the paint.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I consider them as good cards, but of course depending on the flop they can easily become weak hands. But playing in position it is possible to be profitable with this hand

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's a pair that when I have it, I know I have a good chance of getting out of the tournament!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With JJ, it's good if there are as few people in the pot as possible, so the goal is to reduce the number of opponents by raising as much as possible, if don't succeed, can only hope still for the flop set.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Jacks are not that difficult to play, I think they are good hands, but they can be beaten by Premium hands like Aces, Kings, Queens, even Ace-King. Of course, it all depends on the position you are in UTG Blinds, MP, Button, what type of Game you are in (Cash, Tournaments, spin and go, Sit & Go), what type of Villains you face, if they are loose or tight, Nit, Regular, Recreational.

You have to have a read on the table you're playing to know where you're standing all the time. For example, I had an amazing Hand with Pocket Jacks in the small blind in the Sunday Storm 12th Anniversary Tournament.
I'll put the link so you can see it. In that hand a player who had never entered the game against a limper in UTG who played almost every hand limped. The NIT raised 4bb and I in the Small Blind with Pocket Jacks saw that this player raised for the first time and strong, I immediately put him in a Range of Aces, Kings, A-Ks (somewhat strong) and I did not 3bet but I called and the limper called with 4-2o and the flop came out 4-4-J, I held and made Slowplay... and finish seeing the hand reproducing it in the link..
Pocket Jacks
This is the hand raised to the forum

Luck at the tables;)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
just with such a hand don't let the high cards flop, try to knock them out before the flop and you'll be in a big plus 4 bet or 5bet, it's better to lose a little more than then you give all the chips before the river, I personally think so

EVS777

EVS777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
It's hard to play with this hand.
Lots of situations.
Experience comes with age.
If you don't know what to do, go all-in...