Is Online Poker Rigged?

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players make this claim when they suffer a series of bad beats - we get our share of them around here.

Let's have a serious discussion about it. Read this article:

Is online poker safe or rigged?

There is some really good information in that article that explains some of the misconceptions players have.

The thing I see the most is players having a bad day or even a bad week - or they are making a lot of wrong decisions - and they instantly think the game is cheating them.

They will post hands and say "No way should this happen!" - and I know instantly they have never played live poker. I have been playing live poker for about 10 years and I have seen it all happen in a situation where it can not possibly be rigged.

What are your thoughts?

(ps - this is not the place to post your bad beat hands!)
Yup mos definitely Debi!
It's sort of a newbie or amateur perspective, if you've seen enough hands you'll know what's up. Online can get crazy because of the high volume of hands. Online, some players will say "This would never happen live."--- but in actuality, yes it would and it absolutely does. Most times people don't factor in the unbelievable luck they get to win a hand "the miracle river" or one or two outer spike. People tend to remember the runner runner quads that scorched their eye brows, haha, it's psychology, I get it. To most experienced players, this prospective is a victims mentality, and the player's game is probably weak and they need to be putting in work on and off the felt instead of having subconscious egos. The old "It can't possibly be me" perspective. When in fact it is.

macha2003

macha2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make your search

Of course online poker when it comes to the big, respected, trustworthy poker rooms in not rigged.

The truly good players, either they are cash gamers or MTT grinders, are consistent winners in the long run. This is the greatest evidence that online poker is not rigged. But from time to time there were (and probably are) small, unknown, shitty scam mafia sites. But, is there any reason really to put money at these shady sites, intstead of staying to the big trusted rooms?
I have been playing free online poker at wsop and PokerStar and decided to play online real tournaments. I made a long research and decided on one of the most trusted ones Betonline. I have never played yet but I will update you as I try.
I hope they are not rigged :))

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
In situations where you are still defeated by foolish hands and not one day, you will not admit that online poker is rigged.​

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup mos definitely Debi!
It's sort of a newbie or amateur perspective, if you've seen enough hands you'll know what's up. Online can get crazy because of the high volume of hands. Online, some players will say "This would never happen live."--- but in actuality, yes it would and it absolutely does. Most times people don't factor in the unbelievable luck they get to win a hand "the miracle river" or one or two outer spike. People tend to remember the runner runner quads that scorched their eye brows, haha, it's psychology, I get it. To most experienced players, this prospective is a victims mentality, and the player's game is probably weak and they need to be putting in work on and off the felt instead of having subconscious egos. The old "It can't possibly be me" perspective. When in fact it is.

Yeah, well said you two. There are no bots live and colluders might be easier to detect though, we cant forget about that. A closed mind not giving room for a possibility that "something" may or may not be "some thing" might be the worst though, so i leave everything open for a possibility.

If you dont think bad beats happen live you are going to feel stunned the first time it happens, but i think we all know this.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No of course not.Its the only thing in the world thats not rigged,thats why people ask hehe!:icon_sant

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did see an online poker movie once and it was not rigged, but they were catching people that were cheating. They would use algorithyms. The poker room can see all the cards everyone holds and if they see a player always winning above the norm, they would watch him and konw he cold see the cards also. You know when they are cheating the get greedy and dont let the other players win enough.

Also there were others on there that would talk on the phone and let each other know what was going on, and they would take over a poker room and all play against the player that would come in, they would loose stupid hands with nothing to make him think the room was loose aggressive and then when he would be in a hand with one the hero would think his mediocre hand was good because they have been showing down middle or bottom pair so he would go all in and they would have a monster and at the end of the day they would split the cash amongst themselves. They would do that all day long and pay their rents and everything with it. The online room was hard to catch it until they noticed that they always played together.

So my thinking is if it was in a movie, it was brought from some type of truth!

I think it was called "Runner..Runner" If thats not it, it was out about 15 years ago or less but not less than 10 years ago!
Yes i took a couple of screenshots of someone that i thought could see my cards just in case i need it for reference one day,it was the only thing that fitted.Who knows lol.

macha2003

macha2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep thinking about the same but than reminding what one of our blogger wrote : There will be way less winners than mass of losers so that is poker :)
I need more luck and be more patient and just enjoy the game :)

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hate when people say sites are rigged...because we are playing online we see a lot more hands...there will be more bad beats...we also tend to forget about our own suckouts and wins...gonna read the attached article later...looks interesting...

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe is not rigged. But could it be that the poker site does not have a good algorithm to make the hands as random as possible?

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmmm I dont know maybe some sites more than others... I hear a lot of complaints about ACR but who doesn't lol

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait I didnt say onlline poker was rigged by the cardroom, actually the cardroom was the one who caught the bad guys!

If I said that the cardroom was cheating, my bad....I did say that the cardroom could see everyones cards and that is how they would catch the bad guys, they reviewed the bad guys play and watched them live when they played and started putting it together.

How did the bad guy know to fold in a situation where like 95% of the players would call and loose, but the bad guys would get greedy and never lose, so the cardroom caught them.

I am not sure if some online poker rooms are rigged or not and I am in favor of the online poker rooms, don't get me wrong! But now there is proof there has been collusion amongst players to cheat and truth that some rooms are infested with bots, you can say what you want about that, but I am going by online poker writers reports and one guy on youtube did a complete video prooving just that.

I would think the rooms would want to be honest, so that is why I think they are not rigged and I am sure if any of their employees got caight cheating it would mean their job, as they make their money from the rake and creating a lot of player traffic is going to create a lot of rake!

Ha! I get the gist, Lloyd...

I may do some research on that poker movie that you typed about.

Of course cheating is inherent to the game of poker, especially online poker, but your basis of claiming that online poker is not rigged/fixed because of a movie that you observed is moot, and/or highly irrelevant and would be subjectively isolated, if it was/is based on truth, rather than being an omnipotent threat like card manipulation...

Also, having comprehensive knowledge of poker odds/probability, proper gameplay and such associated with poker could cleave the notion and/or threat of collusion, or maybe not.

I admire your enthusiasm however.

The ultimate threat is card manipulation that can supersede skill, basically rendering a player to the whims of the house...

Take it easy...

E

errsat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ONLINE POKER IS RIGGED

Write down your statistics , check your premium Hands and separate them by buyin tourney , then after by period of the tourney ,
and you will discover your premium Hands in later tournament are not into real statistics data.
Just because let's say your AA win 80% of the time doesn't make real statistics, is need TO KNOW when and HOW this 80% overall has been accomplished ?
High buying later tournament AA or other premium Hands holds into statistics standard 80% - 20%? ( because i bet this Hands are busting you out of the tournament mostly later in tournament )
If you win with AA or Premium hands when Pot doesn't mater just to make the standard statistics overal to look true , Is not a real statistics . I aspect to win more or less same % of time regarding the Pot and the buyin , but guess what ? none of the Hands statistics Holds when you will discover you lose more than 55%-60% WITH YOUR PREMIUM HANDS when pot really matter at higher buying and also depending against WHO(new account/-negative roi players )you are playing .

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is online rigged? If you have to ask then it doesn't matter.

Yesterday I was playing on a cc free roll and two other tourneys at the same time. I started noticing simular hands constantly. As I. Everybody I have a weak hand That I always play if it's cheap. Q,10 of dimonds in all three hands at the same time. Flop two pair on all three hands. All three hands lost to straights. What are all the chances is amazing.

I have a rule to never play two pair I hit on flop at ACR. Took a chance. Following those three loses I watched the CC free roll. Next ten hands in a row winners won 28th trips or better.. This isn't real. Conclusion who can prove anything. No one

Geez Guy or Gal, you are playing freerolls, what is a poker site's motivation to cheat you on a free roll???
Reality is that you will be cheated by people who are using "bots" or who are colluding with other players, this will happen before a site worries about changing a board run out on a freeroll. You do know that this argument is as old as online poker??? If you feel cheated, do not play.

R

robertkehl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sucks when you fold preflop and 75% of the time its ends up I'd be the winning hand. But that's just poker.. nuun rigged abt it.

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may be deviating, but how is the use of bots that are not directly associated and aided by the HOUSE itself cheating? It may be a distinct advantage, but in my opinion it is not cheating.

For arguments sake, a live player playing against a bot with a similar comprehension of poker probability and such forth, and with proper intelligence, in my opinion would have the same playground, so to type.

Poker is radically expressed via probabilities/percentages and fundamentally, if/and/or functions, much like the programming of software, and in the case of live poker, non-verbal clues, etcetera... Artificial intelligence can ultimately be defeated with a proper mind set, and patterns may be evident.

So with that typed, theoretically, card manipulation and house bots aided by the house and its card engineering is an ongoing threat to online poker card players.

Take it easy...

R.I.P Poker, dead July 20th 2019 rofl

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Write down your statistics , check your premium Hands and separate them by buyin tourney , then after by period of the tourney ,
and you will discover your premium Hands in later tournament are not into real statistics data.
Just because let's say your AA win 80% of the time doesn't make real statistics, is need TO KNOW when and HOW this 80% overall has been accomplished ?
High buying later tournament AA or other premium Hands holds into statistics standard 80% - 20%? ( because i bet this Hands are busting you out of the tournament mostly later in tournament )
If you win with AA or Premium hands when Pot doesn't mater just to make the standard statistics overal to look true , Is not a real statistics . I aspect to win more or less same % of time regarding the Pot and the buyin , but guess what ? none of the Hands statistics Holds when you will discover you lose more than 55%-60% WITH YOUR PREMIUM HANDS when pot really matter at higher buying and also depending against WHO(new account/-negative roi players )you are playing .
Pretty much this. I will lose full pots in cash with AA all-in pre-flop against AK (flops KKx), will get busted out KK late in an MTT all-in pre-flop against A7s (runner flush), etc. BUT as long as the same premiums give me 4 other walks on boards that don't matter, the stats look perfectly normal. The cards win as much as they are supposed to, but they lose for the maximum at the worst times to the worst players. Look these players up on sharkscope and you'll find they are often new accounts.

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think poker is rigged, and the things I am talking about were in regards to tournaments.

What was rigged was teh cash games, and they were not rigged by the Online Poker Room, their were players that were a team getting together only in the cash games where they can sit, just like they do in live poker and take everyone elses money!

I don't beleive any poker room is rigged, I think some software may be a fraction off or two, but that is useaully tweaked here and there, and I have read articles in poker news where the room, tweaks it software from time to time, to keep it as fair and accurate as possible.

As far as cash games are concerned there is collusion and thats been proven even some poker went as far as to back some players the money once they caught the perpetrator, do you not read the poker articles, a few good poker rooms that want to keep their customers happy and safe admitted to this. I think that is great that the poker rooms want to stop collusion and cheating from the player, the rooms themselves make money in turn from us playing there, it was up to them I am sure they would have none of us loosing out entire bankroll, they want us right there playing and paying the rake!

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it seems illogical, and a sign of paranoia, to accuse a site like pokerstars of being rigged, the amount of sheer lunacy that takes place with their games, namely the plurality of winning river cards, seems to defy belief.

E

errsat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think poker is rigged, and the things I am talking about were in regards to tournaments.

What was rigged was teh cash games, and they were not rigged by the Online Poker Room, their were players that were a team getting together only in the cash games where they can sit, just like they do in live poker and take everyone elses money!

I don't beleive any poker room is rigged, I think some software may be a fraction off or two, but that is useaully tweaked here and there, and I have read articles in poker news where the room, tweaks it software from time to time, to keep it as fair and accurate as possible.

As far as cash games are concerned there is collusion and thats been proven even some poker went as far as to back some players the money once they caught the perpetrator, do you not read the Poker articles, a few good poker rooms that want to keep their customers happy and safe admitted to this. I think that is great that the poker rooms want to stop collusion and cheating from the player, the rooms themselves make money in turn from us playing there, it was up to them I am sure they would have none of us loosing out entire bankroll, they want us right there playing and paying the rake!

what is your roi donk ?

E

errsat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what is your roi donk ?
i ASKED you what's your ROI so i can understand if you understand statistics, because my next question will confuse you harder when i know you have some little neuron giggling into your head .
why NEW ACCOUNT Players /-negative ROI players have a edge of hitting BOARDS and Rivers more often than +roi players do?

G

gera131188

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that there is no deception. Everything that happens online happens in a live game!

E

errsat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what is your roi donk ?

As far as cash games are concerned there is collusion and thats been proven even some poker went as far as to back some players the money once they caught the perpetrator, do you not read the Poker articles, a few good poker rooms that want to keep their customers happy and safe admitted to this. I think that is great that the poker rooms want to stop collusion and cheating from the player, the rooms themselves make money in turn from us playing there, it was up to them I am sure they would have none of us loosing out entire bankroll, they want us right there playing and paying the rake!

when was the last time you buin 100 euro/dollar tourney and you played or you placed 100 dollars/euro bet in online poker?

F

FuncrusherPlus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes i took a couple of screenshots of someone that i thought could see my cards just in case i need it for reference one day,it was the only thing that fitted.Who knows lol.

Players have gotten so good that it presents the perception that they know your cards. Modern technology has provided learning aids that have allowed players a new depth of understanding. Even if sites could properly police these tools, they can't, the players who have reached a certain level wont be affected that much.

In my experience, the feeling that players "know your hole cards" is really just your brain taking the path of least resistance. Much easier to blame an indistinguishable and unquantifiable boogeyman than it is to put in the work to take your game to that level. After all, most don't want to see poker that way.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would online poker be rigged?

It is really a question of 'does capitalism work'? They make 10% or more on every dollar that is played. Their only goal is more players with more money. Rigging it would be the equivalent of draining the pond to get all the fish. Not saying that it's impossible, but it would be really short sighted and not very bright to rig it.