Is Online Poker Addictive?

S

Slmmccartney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well of course gambling in poker go hand-in-hand, and if you have an addictive personality he should definitely stay away from Poker.

M

michael conley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it probably could be I if I played instead of enjoying life . I try to play when it does not interfere with having a good time with people.so I do not consider myself addicted I just lost two straight not making the money not paying attention so I'm done for the day. I don't think I'm strung out on poker.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YOU A PLAYER OR ADDICTED

If poker player is to play poker just like any other player, regardless of poker room, buy in value and style of play.
Being a community game or sport, poker is a game that can be played by anyone, this does not depend on someone accepting or not, you only need to be over 18 years.
Playing a lot of poker means that you have time for this, and you have no other occupation, to earn a lot in the little one says that you have many skills and have level of play coupled with a good experience.
In addition to playing is able to communicate hear a criticism and even give an opinion.
But what it is to be addicted, to be a poker addict, is to play the game interchangeably without stopping to rest, do nothing or learn nothing, just know how to talk poker, not watch movies, study other subjects that are not of poker. And the worst of them accepts anything that happens in poker as a matter of course, they are unable to see something that is wrong.
The person addicted to the game is unable to hear any criticism, for it all is correct, it no longer has the critical sense, because it has lost the capacity of reasoning.
What to do, play poker, but do not forget about life, do other things and read any article other than about poker, critique the game and criticize yourself.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not believe that i am addicted to something that sometimes i need to put tremendous willpower to start a playing, and i can go without it without having any withdrawl symptos or urges to play, i never have that feeling of "ooh i need to go home and play poker etc" i always thought about that i dont want Poker to be a compulsion for me that would mean i am not here for the right reasons, i dont even believe Poker is gambling after all i think it off as a game that the more skilled players win and their pize is money.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything dealing with money can be addictive to some people. Competitiveness also. Now that I think of it just about everything you can enjoy is addictive. I think the woRd addiction is just usually applied to things people view as negative. If you somehow could never have a losing day, and always placed in touneys, no one would say you're addicted. If you lose constantly, then people view you as a degenerate. Same coin, two sides.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Give time to time, do another activity, listen to music, read some book, watch a football game.
For everything you do you should give yourself some free time to improve your activities, and even your poker.
Never play all the time create a goal and respect it.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you play poker for 2 hours a day it will not hurt.
What makes you take up a lot of your time are the freerolls that sometimes take place all day, but you can choose to participate in a couple of days, remembering that you will not always win, will often fall before the ITM, and then you should seek rest .

MrGrace

MrGrace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can be addictive but poker itself is fun and as long as your enjoying the games its all good. addictive sounds negative at least to me i think gambling can be a problem and addictive in genral for some but everyone has there own limit and should not exceed it so as long as your playing and enjoy the games win or loss i feel online poker is not addictive or a problem. But that's just me.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe

I think it is very fun to play poker. I can't seem to get enough of playing. So, yes I think it may be.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is addictive, like substance addiction, you'll come back. You'll be hooked by the highs, which contrast the lows.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anything dealing with money can be addictive to some people. Competitiveness also. Now that I think of it just about everything you can enjoy is addictive. I think the woRd addiction is just usually applied to things people view as negative. If you somehow could never have a losing day, and always placed in touneys, no one would say you're addicted. If you lose constantly, then people view you as a degenerate. Same coin, two sides.

Yes this is very true.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes. This activity becomes a swirling vortex of doom if you are not careful. Like a volcanologist, admire the view but don't get too close because you won't get out..but if you do survive you will carry the scars with you..figuratively speaking.

I am just starting to play again after a long absence from online gambling (poker is not an investment in my opinion and some investments are gambles however...) and I can easily sit out games where the potential for a six figure payday exists in order to engage in family oriented activities.

L

Litosfrank17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Impulses

super addictive if you do not know how to handle the impulses, if you lose you get into the mind that you have to recover if you have a bad spell you can go in a big loss if you know control nothing happens in a next day

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely it is addictive. I think it is cool that you posted this question.. I don't think poker is bad. lots of things are addictive. I do hope that people who are addicted realize it and get help. I have an annual amount that I am willing to lose each year and I don't go over it. Also my family knows about the annual amount. I am in my 3rd year and so the first two years I lost the full amount but thats fine with me. We will see how this year goes, but I wont go over the amount.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything that's starts out as enjoyable, has the ability to be addictive, it is more to do with the characters controls we either have or do not have internally that determines whether we "become" addicted. I am happily addicted to many things, good coffee, poker, homeland, game of thrones and reading books to name a few. I have controls over some of those!

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely think the thrill of gambling can make some people addicted to online poker. But I also think if you approach poker from more of a thought experiment or from more of a cerebral point of view where you try to evaluate what is the best decision to make in order to be net positive in the long run, then it can be not quite as addictive

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker is a cool game but not addictive.It´s just a recreation game that is spreading the world.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wear a t-shirt that says addiction and I play poker.
And YES it is black and white as it should be!:confused:

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
like all goods things in life, poker can be addicting..... The key is finding the right balance.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing poker somewhere 4 years ago, and after a year of playing poker I realized that I depend all my free time I play poker, if not played, then read moterial about poker to me at that time, my wife said that I became addicted and I took a break in 3 months and rest after zavisimosti gone now I play from time to time just for fun.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing poker somewhere 4 years ago, and after a year of playing poker I realized that I depend all my free time I play poker, if not played, then read moterial about poker to me at that time, my wife said that I became addicted and I took a break in 3 months and rest after zavisimosti gone now I play from time to time just for fun.
And how much money did you earn since then to buy her flowers? playing poker I mean (not being mean):icon_joke

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember when online poker was just starting; the guys I played live games with,( a $1-5 spread-limit dealer's choice, a $5-10 Limit Hold'em/Stud, and a $10-20 Limit Hold'em/Omaha hilo games ), always called online poker poker-crack.