thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have a hard time figuring out when an online player is bluffing. I know bet sizes are a pretty easy sign and whether pre-flop raises are in play, but are there more subtle hints as to when an online player is bluffing?

It depends what you mean by bluffing. In order to succeed a meaningful bluff has to be large. If there is a 4 diamond board and you are facing a large bet heads up, the guy is obviously representing the nuts. Do you call without a flush? If he doesn't have a diamond, that's clearly a bluff, but if he has the jack rather than the ace, he might be hoping to get paid off. Massive problem, but only if you don't have the ace!

R

Reach2234

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hard time figuring out when an online player is bluffing. I know bet sizes are a pretty easy sign and whether pre-flop raises are in play, but are there more subtle hints as to when an online player is bluffing?
when they use a lot of their time bank is usually a good tell

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also worth considering if you played the hand in a way that would invite or induce bluffs, or if the bet is coming unprovoked.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that if a player bets extremely low or extremely high on the river then they may be bluffing. I know that this is not a foolproof way to determine if someone is bluffing online or not but what way is?

Valera979

Valera979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this regard, you need to play like a professional..it is diverse, so that the opponent could not determine and constantly wondered whether it was a bluff or not )

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This bluff reading skill is creating after long time of poker play

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't always use bet sizing as a tell, a balanced player will use that for value betting some of the time or over betting some of the time creating a mixed strategy. For me, if I do not have a large hand history and notes, then I don't try to read a bluff too much. Have to look at their ranges they play from certain positions and gauge from there. Is there a missed flush or straight on the board? Have they played a similar hand the same way with a made straight or flush. What could they be bluffing with vs what made hands they have, etc. Just need to learn to bluff catch and know what blockers you have in your hand.
Well said bro, totally agree with you.

W

wwwb66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to feel the bluff in an online game. As stated here, if someone raises a lot, they bluff a lot. The worse thing, however, is that you have to have a fairly strong hand to check. And the worst thing is, when you have a strong hand and you know it's bluff you still lose, because the opponent on the turn or river will get good cards ... Nothing innovative, but it hurts twice ;)

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that if a player bets extremely low or extremely high on the river then they may be bluffing. I know that this is not a foolproof way to determine if someone is bluffing online or not but what way is?

I don't know see lot of river shoves when a plyer has made a strong hand. You think they would be worried about pushing opponents of the hand but suppose when people do call they make so much. But do not find excessive bets a definitive indicator but I do try and interpret odd betting patteens and patterns that donot make sense. And sometimes I have called those river shoves and gotknocked out and sometimes doubled up but am weary of those spots.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Getting a tell from a player on-line is really hard, some will over-bet the pot, others will shove all-in when they are bluffing, the problem is you get no information from them at all, and you really do have to be careful.
This is one reason I stay at low level stakes when playing on-line, Live games are a totally different game and the important thing to remember is to watch every hand played whether you are involved or not, because you can also watch the other players reactions to different situations, and pick up on some little tells that repeat themselves, when you are involved.
A player I used to come up against regularly, had a habit of straightening his cards so they lay exactly on top of each other when he had a good hand, but if he had rubbish he laid them down where they fell, because he showed no interest in them, and if he bet when the cards were neatly stacked I knew he had a monster, if they were dropped where they fell I knew he was bluffing, especially if he kept looking at his cards, to check during the hand.
On-line it is more down to you and how you play, that really matters, You cannot get any read's or tell's from players mannerisms or habits, so it comes down to your instincts and you have to ask yourself, would you have played the hand any different, in his position?
I really do have to be in the right mood to play well on-line, and sometimes when I know I am losing I will call an all-in from someone just to get the game over and go do something else, playing Micro/low stakes allows me to do this, without it costing me a fortune.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
(I Do)

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love this question.

It sounds like you are looking to be a well rounded player.

I believe that you have got to be able to think like your opponents. Are they bluffing is the question and the answer is usually in their actions.

I would suggest you take time to learn how to bluff. (Do this on a non-cash web site or with play money). Once you have learned how to bluff decently, you will be more able to spot a bluff. Everyone bluffs differently, but still have the same tendencies.
That is easier to experience than to have explained to you.

Even though we are playing for real money here, it is still good to go back and learn how to play different methods, thus improving our understandings of what the villan is up to and be able to adjust our defense to their type of play.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Observe how others play, bets way too much, probably a bluff.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. It was helpful. I don't mind that much when I was bluffed as its part of the game. People do sometimes admit that they bluffed a hand and that tilts most people and leads to a chain of bad decisions. I try to avoid bluff catching, but, will definitely add it to the list of learnings I have to do.
Poker is a game of hustlers hustling other hustlers..

It is a great feeling when you pull of a bluff to beat a bluffer. When you know they were bluffing, show it just to get a tilt out of them. Then don't show any more hands the rest of the game. This will most likely either chill them out or make them bluff more and then get caught, thus removing them from the game.

Another tactic that I will use is to raise a bluff (Or suspected bluff) as long as you believe a third player does have the hand. When the third player calls and the bluffer reraises, just get out of the hand. And you have set up a trap to help remove the bluffer.

Then you just need to deal with the third player. [emoji849]

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what you mean by bluffing. In order to succeed a meaningful bluff has to be large. If there is a 4 diamond board and you are facing a large bet heads up, the guy is obviously representing the nuts. Do you call without a flush? If he doesn't have a diamond, that's clearly a bluff, but if he has the jack rather than the ace, he might be hoping to get paid off. Massive problem, but only if you don't have the ace!
I think a good way to judge if you have the higher flush would be how they bet on the flop. If they had high cards they would call a bigger opening or raise the bet themselves, since chances are they have the suited cards in the pocket. If they limped in, chances are they have a lower flush or just a bluff.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of hustlers hustling other hustlers..

It is a great feeling when you pull of a bluff to beat a bluffer. When you know they were bluffing, show it just to get a tilt out of them. Then don't show any more hands the rest of the game. This will most likely either chill them out or make them bluff more and then get caught, thus removing them from the game.

Another tactic that I will use is to raise a bluff (Or suspected bluff) as long as you believe a third player does have the hand. When the third player calls and the bluffer reraises, just get out of the hand. And you have set up a trap to help remove the bluffer.

Then you just need to deal with the third player. [emoji849]
Oh, another side note to my post would be to use the bluff look when you are up against aggressive players. Really play it up. Get them in a trap and then take them to the bank.

S

Supathug007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More of a way to tell you that they are not bluffing

Ive noticed that when I rfi oop and check the Flop there's a long hesitation from ip then finally he checks, if I lead the turn and he snaps then bombs the river, whether I check or lead, they always have it. Something about the way they hesitate on the Flop, it's like they are trying to decide what to do, play face up or trap. By checking they are hoping you bet turn, if you don't and they lead with anything over half pot, they have it if you lead they will call hoping you lead out on the river, so they can raise. No all this is supposing hero has no hand. Of course when you do male a hand you can use this strategy against them
Can't always use bet sizing as a tell, a balanced player will use that for value betting some of the time or over betting some of the time creating a mixed strategy. For me, if I do not have a large hand history and notes, then I don't try to read a bluff too much. Have to look at their ranges they play from certain positions and gauge from there. Is there a missed flush or straight on the board? Have they played a similar hand the same way with a made straight or flush. What could they be bluffing with vs what made hands they have, etc. Just need to learn to bluff catch and know what blockers you have in your hand.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At first it is difficult to detect players who are bluffing, but after 20 hands or more you can get an idea of ​​the opponents' profile, the bad beats, donkeys, and passive players, some of them will give you an idea.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

1) Are they betting like they have a hand too frequently? Many people who like to bluff are extremely imbalanced in their frequencies and 3bet pre, cbet, 2barrel and 3barrel all the time. or check/raise or donk all the time.

2) If the pot is big relative to their stack a jam is more likely to be a bluff - desperation bluffs are common

3) If an obvious draw bricks on the river - a missed draw is likely to bluff when checked to.

4) If your line is weak versus a player who likes to attack weakness - their bet is likely a bluff.

5) Many players have obvious bet sizing tells - large bets are value and small bets are bluffs; or vice versa - small bets to induce raises and big bets are bluffs

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I think you can get a timing tell, if the player instantly jams the flop its usually a polarized range ie really strong or air.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in the beginning stages of learning when a player is bluffing or not so up until now I've been playing my cards. But now I think that I will implement another aspect of my online talent and figure out the bluffing tales online. When I figure this out I'll be back to let you know.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!:)
For me, a clear sign of bluff is if the opponent begins to play his hands unconventionally(he goes off his usual draw line,and of course his bet sizes .)

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If waiting for straight or flush draw and starting betting before it gets there that count as a bluff?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at a players 3bet stat, if it's high then they like to 3bet light pre flop, which might mean they also get a little frisky post flop.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes I think you can get a timing tell, if the player instantly jams the flop its usually a polarized range ie really strong or air.

Yep! and actually a strong play, don`t you think?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep! and actually a strong play, don`t you think?

I think it helps to know the villan, some players will really try to extract value and some just jam in excitement with strength.