Me, my wife, and online poker.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About 2 months ago, I told my wife I was tired of the poor play with play chips and that I was going to deposit $100 on Full Tilt. Her only real reply was that I had to set a limit of no more than $10 or $20 a month to deposit for gambling.

"It's gambling, I don't want you to lose much, it's just for entertainment"

"It's skill" I said, "It's about playing the odds and position among other things"

I don't think she bought one word of it.

A few weeks pass and one Sunday morning I played a $5 MTT with like 200 or so people and she sat and watched me. We discussed why I played certain hands and not others and she actually seemed interested. After several hours I ended up in second place and $145 richer.

Since then, in the evenings she started watching me while I played one of the 45 person SNG's for $1 after the kids went to bed. This went on for a little bit, and pretty soon she started asking me "Are you going to play poker tonight?" even before I had thought about it.

hmm, I sense a genuine interest here....

So 3 days ago, she asks me if I was going to play and I said "after I take a shower, I'll sign up for it now if you want to sit here and play if it starts before I come downstairs". She agreed, and instead of taking over after the shower, I sat and helped her. She finished in 5th place and in the money.

The next day the same thing took place, and until it was down to two people she played the entire thing. I took over heads up after she was getting squished by someone being very aggressive, and we ended up winning first place.

Last night, we had this conversation:

(we are going on vacation this weekend)

Her: "Do hotels have wireless internet?"

"I'm not sure, the last one I remember seeing an ethernet plug"

"Oh......

do you have an extra cable?"

"I'm not sure, I think so. Want me to look for one? Why do you need an ethernet cable anyways"

"I thought I'd bring along my work laptop so we could play poker in the hotel room"

:D

My friends, I think we've got a convert !

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Haha I love it. I gotta tell you, you're very lucky - I bet a lot of married people on here are very jealous and wish their other halves were as understanding as yours is.

Now to get her posting on Cardschat :D

J

joebobdee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are lucky!!!! my wife hates me playing!!! Don't think I'll ever convert her!

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hide the credit cards and change your password.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice One! :)

After my Mrs nailed a 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in consequtive 45 seater SNGs, she seemed to think she was Kathy Liebert. No matter what I said she didnt believe she was on a heater. Luckily after a few loses my second laptop was prised from her grasp!

Always good to have them interested, although I must admit I switch off when she relentlessly describes every bad beat, even other peoples.

Have a good time on your Poker holiday!

:hello:

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can talk her into that, think of what else you can talk her into.;)

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nick said:
Haha I love it. I gotta tell you, you're very lucky - I bet a lot of married people on here are very jealous and wish their other halves were as understanding as yours is.

Now to get her posting on Cardschat :D

Nice one Effexor, hey Nick, are you test running CC new version colours by any chance, BTW, your latest one is on the ball.

P

PreciousLor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch out, she'll be mowing the lawn and washing the car before you know it

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
zinzan1000 said:
Nice one Effexor, hey Nick, are you test running CC new version colours by any chance, BTW, your latest one is on the ball.
No I'm not ;)

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea that is a lucky man . My wife told me she had a problem with it when I told her I was going to make a deposit . She doesnt have a problem with it now because I turned $50 into a few grand:D .

omen4u

omen4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes she fell asleep early i can play without her complaining yahoo yippie

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sweet! My wife likes to play in my home games, I taught her the basic t/a style and she has done well. She still nags about me playing online though.:p

M

MrPow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My lady just hates poker. But I think it's better that way. I couldnt imagine if she liked it as much as I did. Because that's all we would talk about and probably all we would do.

I think in the long run it's definitely unhealthy in a way for your relationship if both of you were hardcore poker players.

But hey what do I know lol

D

DukeDrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell no! I don't want my wife playing poker... that's check-out time for me. Last thing I want is for her to be cuddling up next to me in a MTT. Gimme a beer and tell her find a vaccuum or something.

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet a lot of married people on here are very jealous and wish their other halves were as understanding as yours is.

I am lucky to have an understanding (tolerant might be the better word here) wife when it comes to my poker playing. We have a pretty good arrangement - a couple of weeknights a week after the kids are in bed at 9pm I can play to my heart's content, as well as on Friday or Saturday when it's "her" night with the girls (the other is when I'm out with the guys or the 2 of us go out), and if the weather is crappy I get Sunday afternoon, as well (since that's her "Lifetime" day)....although the kids are playing in the basement by me.

Even on the weekend days I play, I usually wait until the kids (6 & 7) are in bed before I start playing - given the choice between playing poker or watching movies or doing stuff with my kids, I'll take the latter every time. Every couple of months I'll play in a bigger buy-in tourney (the bodog 100K is my tourney of choice, usually) - was planning on doing it this weekend until I saw it was supposed to be 92 and sunny....I think I'll swim in our pool, instead. :D

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
DukeDrew said:
Hell no! I don't want my wife playing poker... that's check-out time for me. Last thing I want is for her to be cuddling up next to me in a MTT. Gimme a beer and tell her find a vaccuum or something.
Oooh! Ladies! Back off--this one's taken (thank God) ;).

Settle down guys, what's the big deal if your girl likes to play poker? I would think it would be a good thing. A girl who likes to play poker = a girl who nags less about poker. And no nagging is good for everyone, right?

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife hasn't played online much... just a few freerolls, etc, and cash games a couple of times. When I go round my parents and we have a game of poker there she normally joins in, though. And she's generally OK with me playing poker - I put $50 into Party, and if I bust that then I was done, and since then I moved that elsewhere, have cashed out slightly more than I've deposited, and have nearly $300 in profits... not a huge amount, but it kind of stops the arguments against gambling once you're only ever playing out of profits... once you get to that stage it's a hobby that pays you, rather than some scary hobby that has been known to cost people serious dough... making it much more acceptable.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your a lucky man to have such a wife, i think the majority of women dont like gambling, on or off line, but the more poker is getting recognized, the more women are getting into it, its not a mans game anymore,, i wouldnt give her your neteller info just yet, lol,,i hope she gets into poker and the two of you could have a husband & wife team,, theres a few of them out there now,, gl>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> buck:hello:

W

wind of change

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love the idea about a family team, not sure how this can be actually put to practice, as most poker rooms are against multiple accounts from one IP, if I am not mistaken.

But you are really a very happy man. I think your wife could play quite well from the start, as she´s had a lot of pasive practice watching you play, and common interests are a great way to mutual understanding. However, it´s not a good idea to spend all your time together playing, as she can quickly lose interest and be bored.

Titusbramble

Titusbramble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wind of change said:
Love the idea about a family team, not sure how this can be actually put to practice, as most poker rooms are against multiple accounts from one IP, if I am not mistaken.

I emailed pokerstars when me and my brother both wanted an account on the same computer and they had no problems with it at all. i dont know about other sites but what is the problem with having multiple accounts anyway? I mean what is the advantage of it to a player?

W

wind of change

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I´ve heard stories of people having 2 accounts at a poker room, logging in from both of them so that one could stand behind 2 players at one table, not really playing against each other....

But hey those were just rumours. Do you think that could actually happen?

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effexor said:
"I thought I'd bring along my work laptop so we could play poker in the hotel room"

You might want to be careful with that. If the company she works for is strict, and they ever do a scan on her computer and find that, she could be at risk for removal.

dinosdynasty

dinosdynasty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife thought I was a "loser" always playing poker before bed but I told her that was my relax time. I transfered her some real money after she did well in play money and now she's a "loser" too.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very nice Effexor. You might want to take Rockbusters advice & get a small fridge, a TV. & of course an internet connection installed in the doghouse for those times when you play against each other.:rolleyes: