Falzee

Falzee

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So you're in a hand where you're not sure whether to bet or fold. So you bet, and the flop shows nothing comes up to help you.

In the same instance, you decide to fold. Once you fold, the flop come up all in your favor, kicking yourself for not betting.

My question is that do you believe the outcome of the flop would come out the same, or is is set to come out differently based upon your choice of bet or fold?

rsparente

rsparente

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've heard from poker pros, your actions should be evaluated by your decision taking street into context, in other words, was it the best decision based on what you knew at the time you took it? If so, nevermind the result after you folded.
I know it is a usual trap to overthink decisions after seeing all the streets, but...just let it go, if folded, don't even look at the final result.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I didn't quite understand the question. Perhaps it meant my decision before I saw the flop? Maybe this is a translation inaccuracy. I've been in situations where I made a decision to fold my pocket cards, but then regretted it when I saw the flop. I think it's unrelated to the fact that sometimes you see the flop after folding a hand – it's purely random, just like seeing the cards you need on later streets after folding. Your decision is based on experience, position, and opening range – everything else, in my opinion, is a matter of luck.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course the outcome would be the same. The important thing is if you made the right decision when you fold. If yes, it does not matter the end result of the hand.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I, also, am not sure of the question. Is the OP suggesting that perhaps the turn card would be different if you had not folded?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
No, you need to act exactly as you want, even if you are betting for your own other reasons and your card does not work out, then don't be sad. And if you don't bet and you discard the card and then your cards are out, then there's no need to be mad at all. The point is that you don't need to make a decision after seeing the result, whatever it is

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whether you bet, call or fold does not impact the next card. Of course sometimes you will hit and sometimes you will not but you should base your decision on odds unless trying to steal the pot.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Once you throw them away, it doesn't concern you anymore. Don't pay any attention to the board. It has nothing to do with you anymore.
We cannot control the cards, all we can control is our decisions.
p.e. Let's say that you hold suited connectors, up until the turn 3 suited cards appear and you feel that your opponent has a flush too, probably higher than yours. There is just one card that will give you the nuts, a straight flush. The opponent bets huge. What will you do? I would fold. A third opponent has a boat and he calls anyway. Your magical card appears on the river against all odds. Will you be devastated? You made the right decision on the turn, because your odds were minimum. Would you rather have called? One in some 30ish odds?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You will never know. Some sites use one virtual deck or cards and shuffle it once. Others constantly shuffle.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the beauty of it in my eyes. I believe that once you fold the outcome is changed as the variables have become different. Calling would probably not lead to the runner runner backdoor straight we always seem to magically hit after folding.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Honestly poker is a game of incomplete information,
the only question is did you make the right decision at the time...
coulda, woulda, shoulda is a waste of time😎

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, sometimes your hand would have hit if you had stayed, but i'll bet that most times
your hand will not hit and you will feel good about folding.:):):):)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Sometimes it is worth refusing a continuation bet. After all, if your opponent calls, you will have to check the turn and surrender to the bet, losing the chips that you invested in the continuation bet.You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you went all-in with one pair, saw your opponent's straight at the showdown, and realized that you were already out. Even if you are ahead on the flop, the balance of power can change dramatically by the river.You must learn to quickly recognize how coordinated the flop is, how many possible draws there are, and base your decisions on this.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
You should always raise / call 72 off suit there is a chance that u flop trips, two pair, a full house or quads :)

There might be some irony in my posting;)

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No i think this is total nonsense.

There are loads of times where I choose to check the flop, then I hit my A on turn, amd loss of times where I check amd I still miss. The same thing happens if I c bet and get called…..I can either hit my A or not!

The cards come out or they don’t!

If you are suggesting that the cards change based on your actions, they also change based on everyone’s actions…..how on earth would that work.

2 players limp, 1 raises and the other 2 call, or what if no one raised and all 3 limp, or what if one raised and only 1 call, or one raise and a limp shove…..how would all those different scenarios be accounted for in terms of ‘changing the cards’ the whole idea is ridiculous!

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
There were many times when I had the opportunity to get a good hand, but for that I had to give away a significant amount of chips, playing already in the late stages of the tournament, so I looked at the situation ... am I willing to take a risk, what are my chances, how were these people playing to how often such bets/actions were made.

Falzee

Falzee

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You will never know. Some sites use one virtual deck or cards and shuffle it once. Others constantly shuffle.
Thank You for understanding the question. My post was not intended to have anything to do with hand strategy. :giggle: :giggle::giggle:

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do analyze my actions after folding in multi way pots. The dynamics are a bit different multi way.

But it's not for regretting my action if the draw gets there.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thank You for understanding the question. My post was not intended to have anything to do with hand strategy. :giggle: :giggle::giggle:
For what it's worth, from my own observations, it seems that the board is already decided before the players start betting. No proof to offer, but that's the impression that I get.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, it wouldn’t have been any different. This happens all the time, part of the game. You have to leg that go and not dwell on it.

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It should be all in relation to what your opponents range is and the equity of your hand against their's.

This could be pre flop, on the flop, turn or river.

I can't count the amount of times I have folded a pair pre flop and then would have hit a set and won the hand but in most cases it is the correct fold as would have been up against an overpair.

Y

Youvraj365

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MU
Chips
This happens to me too, sometimes i bet to see just the river but the outcome turns not to be in my favour.

And sometimes when the flop i not in my favour and i fold because some did bet before me i feel disappointed by seeing the final result.

But that the true essence of poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question is that do you believe the outcome of the flop would come out the same, or is is set to come out differently based upon your choice of bet or fold?
Is this some sort of superstition or a complicated way of asking, if online poker is rigged? If you are serious about poker, I recommend to put superstition aside and to not engage in rabbit hunting. Its better to spend your energy paying attention to, what other players do, especially if the hand goes to showdown. That can give you valuable information for future hands, whereas the runout of the board cannot.

Falzee

Falzee

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is this some sort of superstition or a complicated way of asking, if online poker is rigged? If you are serious about poker, I recommend to put superstition aside and to not engage in rabbit hunting. Its better to spend your energy paying attention to, what other players do, especially if the hand goes to showdown. That can give you valuable information for future hands, whereas the runout of the board cannot.
Was a simple question as to what others think about the scenario, and if you believe that the outcome would be different or the same. Not if it's rigged, but whether the algorithms would change. Nothing else. No superstition, no 'rabbit hunting'. Just a simple question. Not looking for any particular strategy or advice.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker