Making a living playing online

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on country, your patience and skill.(And luck also ofc). You can be best, bun most unlucky in long run or average "regular" but got lucky and just win few tournaments and that money will be ok in your country to live some time/monthes/years or u can invest in something etc. Alot of factors matter, can make for living, but 1% of players it's not real value for sure.(imo)

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep

Making a living from poker takes a very good mathematic mind or some maths and great persistence.

Personally if my interest was purely percent gain it would be possible to focus on just one type say double or nothing and make persistent gains.

Winning tournaments frequently to make a living now that takes a real talent for the game. Most players should enjoy it rather than seek a income from Poker. My opinion only..

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would play $.25 / $.50 for 6 hours a day and start with a $2000 bankroll.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't underestimate the value in playing sit n goes.

sinatruces

sinatruces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR./BCP
ABOUT 3 or 4 hours
small
its have variance cant answer!

E

erikrid2910

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So do you think it is better to play low level cash games, or mtt? what buy in for the tournaments should I be choosing? thanks.

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't tried making a living, but I could make fuel money for the car back in the day, now I make bubble gum money, when I am not loosing.

Just wondering if any members have tried to make a living online playing poker ?

What site would you choose ?
How many hours do you play a day ?
What stakes would you play or rooms ?
What kind of a bankroll startup would you recommend?

What is considered a good daily poker income ?

Stevendewitt7

Stevendewitt7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dream job would be to play poker online all day or play poker all day in general. unfortunately I can't make a livin doin net just yet . I admire the people that have the bank roll to do it

NUGGEETTEE

NUGGEETTEE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament play is probably the best bet for good patient poker players. That way you don't have to calculate time. Remember a lot of the poker rooms are not necessarily random to the core. Many of the them are programmed which makes making a living difficult online. I tried it for a while(online that is) and they no longer accept us players but sportsinteraction was part of a network I loved (I can't remember the name of it) and I cashed out in the one tournament I liked once a day 5 times a week for $500.00 to $1000.00 daily in a $50.00 buy in tournament. What I liked about Sports Interaction was I got my withdrawals from 3 days to 7 days. It was awesome. They changed their network and that particular tournament was vanquished. I was sad to see it go to say the least. I never made a living playing cash games on either poker site I'm sorry to say. I do believe it's possible for tournament play if you are a patient type player. Most sites are programmed so patience is a huge must. If you play tournament for a living play $5.00 to $50.00.($5.00 will be more players, $50.00 will be less player(BEST IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT). Either one will eliminate your bankroll question. If you profit at all for that day playing the "SAME" tournament or tournaments(Try to play no more than 3 for rest) each day; you're doing good. Don't change and don't be greedy. Say NO to making a living in cash games online. The is my honest assessment and I hope this response helps you. Good luck.

What kind of tourney was it?
Also are you saying that playing Tourneys better than cash? What kind of bankroll do you start with?

R

rjwhite99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug Polk has a good video on his YouTube channel explaining how hard it is to grind as an online pro.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made about 3k in 07 playing .5-10 and then moving up to .10-.25 cash tables part time. Then in November I played a Freeroll tourney based on the points I earned from the previous month. I made $1500 in about 5 hrs! After that decided to read and study tournament poker. I played nothing but tourneys starting Jan 1st of 08. I made over 30k that year playing the same amount of hrs as the previous year. I was going to get further in depth training to start playing at higher stakes and do it for a living. I decided not too after talking with my wife. Good thing too, because 2 yrs later with no warning, our life would have been devastated.

I think playing part time and letting things naturally happen is the best way. Good luck.

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, daily income to survive believe it or not is plausibley 40US-150US a day. But you have to have a lot of experience, patience knowledge and fundamentals prior to trying to run up a bank roll to play poker online with, their is still some collusion online time to time so it is best to play small/ micro tournaments or micro cash till you feel comfortable doing so. Keep in mind that you have to stay in control and keep an action plan in case you spend to much on buyins from your own pocket. Good luck out there.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the number of poker players who make a living playing poker is maybe one in a ten thousand, as someone who has played poker for over 40 years I say this from experience.
Maybe 10 years ago, as a prop, I could make decent money grinding.
These days Rakeback and bonuses have got tighter and tighter and the average, or even above average player who thinks they are going to make a living out of poker, is going to quickly brought down to Earth.
Having said that there is always an exception and hey it is always good to have a dream. :D:D

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew a few people in college who made short-term money.
In my opinion, any serious online play as a career should also have live play included.
For long-term stability, the future is too unclear. There are so many things beyond the player's control. With regulation, I think the opportunity broadens.

Be careful. Even if you win in the short-term, what if your play is canceled from an unmerited audit, government website shutdown, ect. For that reason, I think online play would be a great supplement and/or stimulus for the income of a poker player who ultimately will be more dependent on live play.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many other people said bankroll management is the key. Another important thing is to understand variance and knowing you are going to have downswings and upswings that are not related to your ability. You need to focus on playing good and be comfortable with your play even when you lose.

Low stakes STNGS are a good way to play a lot of hands while controlling your bankroll, because you won't lose more than the entry fee, cash games can be more brutal sometimes in my experience.

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i personly would never try to make a living playing online as it is a program you are playing against the people 30% but the program is made for action and the n you are in a race most time c rap cards win. Bit that is gambling flip a coin and enjoy

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personly would never try to make a living playing online as it is a program you are playing against the people 30% but the program is made for action and the n you are in a race most time c rap cards win. Bit that is gambling flip a coin and enjoy

You are basically saying that online sites are rigged and the cards aren't random, is that right?

Where does that 30% comes from?

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are basically saying that online sites are rigged and the cards aren't random, is that right?

Where does that 30% comes from?
the 30 is just a guess but i played around wen the boom was on and they got their hands slapped, Remember when playing online you are playing a program that is rigged for action and prove me wrong that a greater number of times the worst hand wins when you have multiple all ins. The first hour of the game a lot of times is Bingo. not trying to irritate anyone this is just my view

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if someone earns or not, how much I have not tried, or a small plus or a small minus, is zero in total

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the 30 is just a guess but i played around wen the boom was on and they got their hands slapped, Remember when playing online you are playing a program that is rigged for action and prove me wrong that a greater number of times the worst hand wins when you have multiple all ins. The first hour of the game a lot of times is Bingo. not trying to irritate anyone this is just my view

I respect your view of course, I had experience that situation several times, but I don't have enough data to prove anything. But there are many people playing regulary on this sites, using tracking software, so I would be inclined to think that if they see something fishy on the data they would start being suspicious and maybe stop playing at all. That would be very easy to check with a good amount of hands on a tracker database.

It's possible that they are rigged, cannot prove they aren't, but it would be a huge gamble for sites like pokerstars, for example. If a programmer decides to make the world know that the cards are not really random, it would be the end of they business. Doesn't mean they aren't stupid or greed enough to make such a thing.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great questions
I want to play Pokerstars so badly but sadly, I can't play because I'm USA.
8 hours like getting to work
I will prob play SnG/Tournament but maybe 1$/2$ for cash games. Im not expert so
150$ area daily grinding up!

gl!

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great questions
I want to play Pokerstars so badly but sadly, I can't play because I'm USA.
8 hours like getting to work
I will prob play SnG/Tournament but maybe 1$/2$ for cash games. Im not expert so
150$ area daily grinding up!

gl!
I’m in the same boat. I’m just starting out again after being gone since 09. Tough going from a good bankroll to start again with nothing. After a week of some freerolls and a little cash tables, I’ve got $10 on ACR. Now I just need to build on that. Gl to you too!

M

Montana11112

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn’t be easy

Sounds like such a stressful life having to sit infront of computer all day.
But if I had to choose one it would be PS

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its the hardest job to live out of, you need lots of time which means no job, and if you run bad and don't have a pretty big bank roll. You need to start from building a bankroll which is even harder. Good luck, poker stars would be the place.