Lifesaver needed: Where can I find full hand histories?

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in panic so I have to ask!
I’m working on a thesis project regarding mathematical studies of NL hold em game theory as well as a comparison with real life actions and results.

As a part of this I need access to real hands for real players and now, when I’ve already done half of the work, I realise that such information is almost impossible to find.
All I can get is hand histories which do not show hands until showdown which is not good enough for my purposes.

Anyways, I’ve been googling for 15 hours and not been able to find the information I need so is a bit nervous I’ll have to redo everything now. Does anyone know any place where this information would be possible to get?

Alternatively if someone can send a few of their own hands to me so I could do it in a small scale I would be beyond grateful!
They will not be shared or shown in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi! For some reason this went into a moderation queue to be approved. I did remove your email, because this is a public section of the forum where your email address could be picked up by web crawlers and end up with you getting spam in your inbox.

Hopefully some of our members can help you out! Good luck!

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your either in luck or not

I’m working on a thesis project regarding mathematical studies of NL hold em game theory as well as a comparison with real life actions and results.

As a part of this I need access to real hands for real players and now, when I’ve already done half of the work, I realise that such information is almost impossible to find.
All I can get is hand histories which do not show hands until showdown which is not good enough for my purposes.

Anyways, I’ve been googling for 15 hours and not been able to find the information I need so is a bit nervous I’ll have to redo everything now. Does anyone know any place where this information would be possible to get?

Alternatively if someone can send a few of their own hands to me so I could do it in a small scale I would be beyond grateful!

Your in luck or your not. Every poker site you have to go to setting and look for the save hand history and then extend your amount of time you want to save them . i think a year is the longest. and if you havent done this then you have no hand history longer than a month. The site then saves those hands to your harddrive where is stores it for the alotted time. Gl

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yeah

I think you have to buy a hud to be able to see other ppls hands in the cases where they did not go to show down. sorry bud

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone willing to give you their hand histories would be very stupid.

You're just going to have to play poker and save your own hand histories.

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! For some reason this went into a moderation queue to be approved. I did remove your email, because this is a public section of the forum where your email address could be picked up by web crawlers and end up with you getting spam in your inbox.

Hopefully some of our members can help you out! Good luck!

Thank you so much Tammy, appreciate it!

I think you have to buy a hud to be able to see other ppls hands in the cases where they did not go to show down. sorry bud

Thanks so much for replying!

Do you know how to do it with a HUD, I tried poker tracker 4 but was still only able to see the hands that went to showdown and no other hand?
Is it some specific HUD, setting or poker room etc. that is needed in order to be able to see it?
Will try to google and see if I can find a way to see also the hands that not went to showdown with it.

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Why?
You can easily add the file into a text editor and replace your player name to something else in all places if you're afraid the histories will be shared etc.

Issue is saving my own hand histories will not help unless I'm able to see which hands other people are using since I only would be able to analyse my own game in that case which is not good enough for what I'm trying to do.

Cheers,

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Can't you request hand histories on pokerstars by tournament ID? Or is that just specifically for your hand histories?

Why?
You can easily add the file into a text editor and replace your player name to something else in all places if you're afraid the histories will be shared etc.

Issue is saving my own hand histories will not help unless I'm able to see which hands other people are using since I only would be able to analyse my own game in that case which is not good enough for what I'm trying to do.

Cheers,
I actually quoted the wrong post, but we do have a PT4 support thread here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/official-pokertracker-support-thread-216564/

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't you request hand histories on PokerStars by tournament ID? Or is that just specifically for your hand histories?

That would be just for your own hand histories I believe.

I misinterpreted your original post, I thought you wanted someone to send you their hand histories for your analysis whereas what you actually want is a bunch of hand histories with every players known cards as well as a board runout.

If that is the case then I'm not sure you're ever going to find that naturally, you could probably program something which will assign cards to "players" and then also a board runout and have that info written into a txt file but that may not be good enough either for you because you probably want to know how each player may have played their hand.

Or another option may be for you to get 9 players including yourself to play on a play chip home game table on pokerstars and then ask each of the participants to send you their hand histories after the game.

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't you request hand histories on PokerStars by tournament ID? Or is that just specifically for your hand histories?

I actually quoted the wrong post, but we do have a PT4 support thread here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/official-pokertracker-support-thread-216564/

Thanks for the help! Seems like you can see mocked cards on pokertracker but not folded ones which would be needed.

That would be just for your own hand histories I believe.

I misinterpreted your original post, I thought you wanted someone to send you their hand histories for your analysis whereas what you actually want is a bunch of hand histories with every players known cards as well as a board runout.

If that is the case then I'm not sure you're ever going to find that naturally, you could probably program something which will assign cards to "players" and then also a board runout and have that info written into a txt file but that may not be good enough either for you because you probably want to know how each player may have played their hand.

Or another option may be for you to get 9 players including yourself to play on a play chip home game table on pokerstars and then ask each of the participants to send you their hand histories after the game.

No Worries! And I wanted either or I guess, most important thing would be to have a selection of hands from a number of players in order to be able to draw conclusions that is a bit more general then from me alone.

The other option I've found is to watch tournament videos like this
where they show almost every single hand with cards up and then manually writing down what every player is having and doing.
It takes forever in order to get a few thousand hands(and might be harder to get positive conclusions of improvements that could be made since it's professionals) but seems to be some kind of solution!

foldeamela

foldeamela

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you got a good track record. Your thesis is very interesting to me, I wish you success and it would be nice to see the end some results

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you got a good track record. Your thesis is very interesting to me, I wish you success and it would be nice to see the end some results

Thanks, appreciate it and I will. Just remind me in a few months and I'll share if I arrive at something interesting!

Going ok, slowly building up some hand histories.
Feel free to tell me if you have some spare hand histories lying around that you want to share;);) (after replacing you username in a text editor if you prefer)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the hand histories from Bovada and ignition actually do show all the hole cards at the table. These sites use anonymous tables where each seat is assigned a number and you can request the hand histories for any session after 24 hours. Of course it's only good for analysing your own hands and getting general population stats but that may be good enough for what you're trying to do. Still, you'll need software to do this, PokerTracker or Hold'em Manager.

B

BetABet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the hand histories from Bovada and Ignition actually do show all the hole cards at the table. These sites use anonymous tables where each seat is assigned a number and you can request the hand histories for any session after 24 hours. Of course it's only good for analysing your own hands and getting general population stats but that may be good enough for what you're trying to do. Still, you'll need software to do this, PokerTracker or Hold'em Manager.

Sorry most have missed the email notification and thanks for the reply!

It seems like they would save the histories for all the players in the best desired way. Though I tried to download it now and it doesn't seem to be allowed in sweden for some reason so I can't actually use them.
Will keep looking though, perhaps some other client saves it the same way.

S

stakkedoff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you still need hh's i'll sell you a 40k hand dbase

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands