"Is it Possible to Build a Bankroll from Scratch? Let's Share Strategies and Experiences!"

lnm2308

lnm2308

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings to all CardsChat members!

Today, I would like to open a discussion on the possibility of building a bankroll from scratch in poker. I know many of us started with little to no money and wondered if it's feasible to grow our winnings from nothing.

I want to hear your experiences and strategies on how to achieve this. Have any of you successfully built a bankroll from scratch? If so, I would love to know how you did it and what advice you can share with the rest of the community.

What was your initial approach? Did you focus on freerolls and free tournaments to increase your bankroll, or perhaps low-stakes cash tables? How did you handle the ups and downs and the bankroll management during the process?

Additionally, if any of you have doubts or are starting from scratch, feel free to share them! Here, we can provide mutual support and share helpful tips to maximize our opportunities.

Remember that building a bankroll from scratch may require patience, discipline, and proper money management. There's no magic formula, but through study, practice, and perseverance, it is possible to achieve it.

I look forward to your inspiring stories, practical advice, and questions! Let's help each other reach our poker goals.

Good luck at the tables and thank you for being part of this wonderful poker community!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I documented my journey from $0 - $10,000 here!

I'm now in the midst of my $15,000 - $100,000 challenge here!

There is plenty to sift through in terms of strategy at different points of the challenge.

Please use me as a resource if you are serious about this, because I can help. :)

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I'm just doing this kind of challenge myself at the moment. Went from 0 to over 100$ within 2 months, now I'm having a bit of a pause as I'm preoccupied with other rl stuff.

Few tips/how I went about it, if you are going after this path:
-Have patience especially at start. By playing freerolls it might take a while for you to create a starting bankroll (took me about a month)
-After I created 10$+ bank I started playing money games, alongside still playing freerolls (mainly focused on MTT and Sit&Go, I'm not really a fan of cash games, especially on micro limits, you can play good, but still get busted easily by idiots who hit crap on river once in a full moon-but usually against you who is grasping for life with low bank)
-I almost busted my bank twice as I was playing out of my limits, went straight to 1$ buy-in MTT as soon as I hit 25$, if you want to be on a safe side stick with 0,25$ and 0,55$ tournaments
-From there on it's just a grind until you make it far in one or 2 of the tournaments, final table boosts your bankroll a lot
-As for future I still plan to continue playing freerolls, but only CC ones (I play only on pokerstars so no idea how good freerolls are on other sites), the free PokerStars ones are a waste of time with just too many people playing
-Now that I'm over 100$ I'll play it safe and follow the basic bankroll management

Overall around half the funds I have now came from freerolls and half from other play. With time freerolls should net less and less overall, to the point where it's not worth playing them, unless they are 300$ weekend ones or 1000$ monthlies. I might still turn em on tho if I'm playing another game at the same time.

So if you're going for it, good luck! And again, have patience! :)

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Can confirm! Also sucked out some wisdom from @jordanbillie . 😁

And while this thread is a little dusty, it may still be of help as well:

I also mostly build my BR with freerolls and build up 2k from that. ☺️

lnm2308

lnm2308

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I documented my journey from $0 - $10,000 here!

I'm now in the midst of my $15,000 - $100,000 challenge here!

There is plenty to sift through in terms of strategy at different points of the challenge.

Please use me as a resource if you are serious about this, because I can help. :)

"Thank you for sharing your challenge and offering yourself as a resource! It's truly inspiring to see how you've progressed from $0 to $10,000 and now aiming for $15,000-$100,000. I would love to hear more about the strategies you've used at different stages of your challenge.

Additionally, if there's any specific advice or approach you believe is key to achieving those goals, please do share! The poker community is always interested in learning new strategies and tactics that can help us improve our game and reach our own challenges.

Also, if you have any recommendations for resources, books, or coaches that have helped you on your journey, it would be great to know them. Sharing knowledge and experiences is what makes this community so valuable!

Congratulations again on your achievements so far, and I'm excited to follow your progress. Good luck on your path to $100,000, and thank you for offering your support to those who are committed to the challenge! Together, we can continue to grow as poker players.

I look forward to your next updates and any other advice you can share!"

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Go building a bankroll from scratch, is not an easy task.
Well, it looks like @jordanbillie has a lot of experience in this, you can consult our brother.
At least it helped me a lot because I saw it in Spanish, the video of Elias Gutierrez "zerospoker".
The main idea is that it is never really from zero, because the sites require a minimum deposit of $10 to start.
Assuming that we start from that amount, we should play either 0.01/0.02 cash tables with 100 BB or $2. Or start with Tournaments at 0.50, or sit & go at 0.25. The option in which you feel safer and more comfortable.
The main idea would be to reach $500, and then start facing tables at 0.02/0.05, that is, with 100 BBs, that is, you would have 100 boxes of $5 to face the variance of losing streaks. You could also play some tournaments for between 2 to 3 dollars and if you want to also play sit&go for larger amounts.
Once this is done, the equation will be
bank u$s 1000, cash tables 0.05/0.10
bank u$s 2500, cash tables 0.10/025
And so on, always taking into account also the tournaments you play.
I think it is words plus words minus what all the players who have started from scratch have done.
If I say something wrong, one of the more experienced colleagues please correct me.
My regards, brother:):):)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Thank you for sharing your challenge and offering yourself as a resource! It's truly inspiring to see how you've progressed from $0 to $10,000 and now aiming for $15,000-$100,000. I would love to hear more about the strategies you've used at different stages of your challenge.

Additionally, if there's any specific advice or approach you believe is key to achieving those goals, please do share! The poker community is always interested in learning new strategies and tactics that can help us improve our game and reach our own challenges.

Also, if you have any recommendations for resources, books, or coaches that have helped you on your journey, it would be great to know them. Sharing knowledge and experiences is what makes this community so valuable!

Congratulations again on your achievements so far, and I'm excited to follow your progress. Good luck on your path to $100,000, and thank you for offering your support to those who are committed to the challenge! Together, we can continue to grow as poker players.

I look forward to your next updates and any other advice you can share!"

For a good look at the strategies I used during the early stages, take a look at this thread here! This was when I got to $1,000 and I laid out my challenge in distinct phases. I believe this will help for your beginning part of your challenge, and it touches on some of the advice already offered by our brother @jonaselloco

To sum it up, in the beginning I was playing CC freerolls and $1.50 sngs until I got to $100. Then I took advantage of a promotion and "binked" an MTT for $300+, then I transitioned into my last minute late registration strategy for MTTs and haven't looked back. ;)

For specific advice, I'd say that for MTT play it all boils down to 25BB or less play, so you need to get good at playing shortstacked. The hyper turbo SNGs that I played a lot helped me understand push/fold spots much better. I actually think I am going to write an article/thread on the topic of the "pocket" (BTN/SB/BB) and how to read the dynamic of the pocket/anticipate what it will look like in future hands. This concept is a large factor to consider when deciding whether or not to open raise/jam/fold/etc. Also, I read a really good poker book a long time ago that set my mindset to always pay attention to the overall dynamic of the table and play a style which counters/exploits. For example, if I have a table full of fishy aggressive calling stations, the game is very easy and I just wait for premium hands to jam/rejam preflop and enjoy the free equity. No need to complicate things, just take the value and enjoy. ;)

For resources, you are in the right place! Just play your game and if you come across any spots you aren't sure about, post the hand/situation for discussion and we will all chime in. :) I don't utilize coaches as I've never felt the need, I really enjoy the personal nature of a poker practice and how rewarding it is when you figure out this game on your own. :)

And thanks for the words of encouragement! This year has started with some near big wins, but mostly break even play. I'm confident I'll get some momentum here soon and be further along the path to $100,000. :)

Cheers!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For a good look at the strategies I used during the early stages, take a look at this thread here! This was when I got to $1,000 and I laid out my challenge in distinct phases. I believe this will help for your beginning part of your challenge, and it touches on some of the advice already offered by our brother @jonaselloco

To sum it up, in the beginning I was playing CC freerolls and $1.50 sngs until I got to $100. Then I took advantage of a promotion and "binked" an MTT for $300+, then I transitioned into my last minute late registration strategy for MTTs and haven't looked back. ;)

For specific advice, I'd say that for MTT play it all boils down to 25BB or less play, so you need to get good at playing shortstacked. The hyper turbo SNGs that I played a lot helped me understand push/fold spots much better. I actually think I am going to write an article/thread on the topic of the "pocket" (BTN/SB/BB) and how to read the dynamic of the pocket/anticipate what it will look like in future hands. This concept is a large factor to consider when deciding whether or not to open raise/jam/fold/etc. Also, I read a really good poker book a long time ago that set my mindset to always pay attention to the overall dynamic of the table and play a style which counters/exploits. For example, if I have a table full of fishy aggressive calling stations, the game is very easy and I just wait for premium hands to jam/rejam preflop and enjoy the free equity. No need to complicate things, just take the value and enjoy. ;)

For resources, you are in the right place! Just play your game and if you come across any spots you aren't sure about, post the hand/situation for discussion and we will all chime in. :) I don't utilize coaches as I've never felt the need, I really enjoy the personal nature of a poker practice and how rewarding it is when you figure out this game on your own. :)

And thanks for the words of encouragement! This year has started with some near big wins, but mostly break even play. I'm confident I'll get some momentum here soon and be further along the path to $100,000. :)

Cheers!

Cheers!
Hi @jordanbillie.
Your comment is worthless, and thanks for naming a humble servant, I just explained the bankroll issue to the least as I understood it, although I now follow your advice in other situations in which I had not paid as much attention, such as late registrations in the MTTs.
Regarding the book on table dynamics, if you can, send me the author and the book if it can be found on the internet.
This topic is a matter that I have been observing for a while and many times it gives me results in terms of the game. Because many times the term "aggressive" is distorted. I believe that the aggressive player is aggressive when he should be, not that because you are at a table and one makes you openraises 3 bets all the time he is aggressive. And those types of players are highly controllable. Just waiting for a hand and seeing a flop in which your chances in the second streets are practically nil or very low, and well you will have to recharge your wallet hahahaha
The funny comment is about what a great truth you say about the variation in the dynamics of the tables. There are tables that it is convenient to limp, others to have more authority over others in general when there is a lot of recreational player, etc. They always vary.
That's why when I'm at a table I take notes on every situation that happens with my rivals, it's more or if I have time I'll make a thread about the value of taking notes, which thanks to my brother @Luvepoker, which I read in a response that He did, I started paying attention to him and really taking notes is very important, at least in online poker.
A hug dear brother, and a very good answer as always with high wisdom.
My blessings to you and your family:):):)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi @jordanbillie.
Your comment is worthless, and thanks for naming a humble servant, I just explained the bankroll issue to the least as I understood it, although I now follow your advice in other situations in which I had not paid as much attention, such as late registrations in the MTTs.
Regarding the book on table dynamics, if you can, send me the author and the book if it can be found on the internet.
This topic is a matter that I have been observing for a while and many times it gives me results in terms of the game. Because many times the term "aggressive" is distorted. I believe that the aggressive player is aggressive when he should be, not that because you are at a table and one makes you openraises 3 bets all the time he is aggressive. And those types of players are highly controllable. Just waiting for a hand and seeing a flop in which your chances in the second streets are practically nil or very low, and well you will have to recharge your wallet hahahaha
The funny comment is about what a great truth you say about the variation in the dynamics of the tables. There are tables that it is convenient to limp, others to have more authority over others in general when there is a lot of recreational player, etc. They always vary.
That's why when I'm at a table I take notes on every situation that happens with my rivals, it's more or if I have time I'll make a thread about the value of taking notes, which thanks to my brother @Luvepoker, which I read in a response that He did, I started paying attention to him and really taking notes is very important, at least in online poker.
A hug dear brother, and a very good answer as always with high wisdom.
My blessings to you and your family:):):)
I'm not sure if these are English only versions, but here are two links to the book I was referencing.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'm not sure if these are English only versions, but here are two links to the book I was referencing.

Thanks brother.
I will try to download and translate it today.
A hug:):):)

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have repeatedly built a bankroll from scratch and all thanks to freerolls. Those players who are members of our community have a huge advantage, because our daily and weekly freerolls allow you to build a bankroll from scratch quite easily.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve done it many times and it’s absolutely possible. It’s a fun challenge to eventually withdraw all and start with freerolls. It can be frustrating but once it snowballs, it’s fun

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been playing on ACR for almost 5 years and it's all from freeroll winnings. It all started w/CC when they had freerolls over there. I play mostly micro-stakes but occasionally I'll buy in for something a little meatier like $11 or so.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
hello )) this is a very interesting topic, I will follow it 😎 I did it with 10$ 450 in 8 hours and lost this cash game

aurora1207

aurora1207

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Absolutely, it is possible to build a bankroll from scratch.

Poker is a game that requires several qualities such as patience, learning and discipline.

If you manage to respect these points, you have a great chance to build and increase your bankroll.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have done it on several sites over the years. Its not easy and to many not worth the time for the slow start of getting going but its very possible.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management