How to become a successful online grinder?

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What are the most important concepts for becoming a professional online grinder?

Playing more or studying more?

Is playing classic old-school ABC poker with volume a decent strategy for the micro stakes online?

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
As a micro/low stakes player who's been around since the Moneymaker poker boom yes all the old Harington, 2+2 books and most good/great books from that era are still fine and a good base to build off and still be a winning player. FWIW I would recommend Peter Clarke's "From the Ground Up" course at runitonce poker. You can't beat the price $50usd. You wanna get a sample of his coaching style first search him on youtube "carrot poker/corner".

With that all said I only play at pokerstars and play full-ring tables. In my opinion it's a pretty soft/easier player pool because most the better or good micro regs play 6 max tables or faster games because they provide much better volume. I'm far from a decent cash player as I've been playing mainly MTT's for 15 years. Other then 1 bad day since Oct I'm crushing 2nl for 12+bb/100. I just don't get much volume because lack of time and playing full-ring tables. I also only double table(but not all the time). I fully admit my cash game is rusty and I'm still make some pretty terrible and costly mistakes.

The only real difference from the Moneymaker poker boom till now is just less fish by alot. The fish out there still suck and are terrible as they ever were though. At least at Pokerstars full-ring micro stakes(2nl/5nl).

I study and review my hands weekly. I also replay over and over again Peter's course videos while studying/playing. Which now I do less because well I know the content so well now. I also use PT4 "leak-tracker" so I know what parts of my game to work on and spots I need to study.

Cheers!!!

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing on micro limits can bring harm instead of benefit,, micro limit and ranges, strategies and tactics have nothing in common, it is better for a beginner to strengthen their knowledge and start playing with low limits at least, not to mention experienced players who want to apply a more serious approach to the game

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you need to learn and practice a lot while studying your game, you need to understand where you are weak and what points you need to change, you can see after a lot of poker games

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
"all the old Harington, 2+2 books".....

I've also read Harrington's books for cash games. I think that they were the very first poker books I read years ago.

Preflop ranges are very important.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is practice. And it is a fact that people with a very high bankroll or like the majority of us on cardschat has the opportunity to grow his bankroll with freerolls without losing own money. I think that many poker players have an emotional instability and that's why they put everything back in the hope of winning the money back. That's why I also think that people who are either very reflective of themselves (or jaded and have no problem with losing large sums of money) or have a very strong rational view of life and hardly have any emotional feelings are best at playing poker because they don't get distracted by downs.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
You just play and after each session you have to review the biggest pots that you have won and lost. Analyse and see if you could have done things differently either to maximize your winning or to minimize your losses.
Keep notes on each player cause you'll play'em a lot especially the regs.
Keep adjusting your strategy (bluffin more or less, check raising your draws, your opening/defence ranges....etc) until you become a winning player and crushing that limit.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe you need to have a mix of studying and playing, but of course in the beginning you should spent more tine studying than playing.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
"Keep adjusting your strategy (bluffin more or less, check raising your draws, your opening/defence ranges....etc)"

I agree with that.

V

valen06

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
What are the most important concepts for becoming a professional online grinder?

Playing more or studying more?

Is playing classic old-school ABC poker with volume a decent strategy for micro stakes online?
You would have to study and play! All little by little!
Lots of practice and also watching other games and/or more experienced players!
Always know what your limit is so as not to exceed yourself!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
playing on micro limits can bring harm instead of benefit,, micro limit and ranges, strategies and tactics have nothing in common, it is better for a beginner to strengthen their knowledge and start playing with low limits at least, not to mention experienced players who want to apply a more serious approach to the game

yah... umm... No.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
"With that all said I only play at Pokerstars and play full-ring tables."

Back when I started I played almost exclusively full-ring at Pokerstars. The field was really tight.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Also I think that volume plays a significant role, especially at the lower stakes.

Minimum 25-30K hands per month.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I understand that it's more important to know, study and make good decisions than to play until you win. Even so, with knowledge, your effort is always important.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
"your effort is always important"

Agree on that!

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Practice, learn and dont give up. Mostly of players, i think, quits because of losses.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying and playing go hand in hand, but the balance will always lean towards more game time. The important thing is to always be clear about the reason for each move you make at the tables, and always review the game session to improve.

pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Just play a lot and the results will come naturally! Also, use software for analyzing hands.

idhemmy

idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
You can become a successful online grinder by mastering bankroll management and improving your skills through studying, and staying disciplined and focused during long sessions and not playing AK at the end of the tournament :cool::ah4::kh4:(n)o_O:ROFLMAO: