Don't Base Your Reads on Avatars

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will probably know a person after playing few days in some tournaments, avatars names and other stuff are juts not worth to thake in account.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ive made this mistake before and it can be costly for sure. I try to not make judgements on a player till I have atleast a few hundred hands played with them.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I don't even look at them actually.

C

Cashcards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to guess about the opponents goals based on his nickname or avatar. maybe for him its just a nickname or maybe his smarter than you think and can use it lake a trap or maybe he just made a foolish when choose his nickname.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually block avatars that distract me in any way. Beautiful or ugly i just block it since i don't want that to have any kind of impact in my decisions.

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fully with you agree,not worth to pay on these things attention need always to think and represent that you the best player and you necessarily should lead

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of tells in the poker, the avatar is one that i has no use in my reads, but you can use the psychological: what make a player use this avatar, try search this nick on sharkscope or similar, if any one understand anything feel free to tell us...

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before I pay someone who has come all in, I see what nationality he is if a German or a Russian has a better chance of bluffing, but that is also misleading for the wrong decision

here I think it is appropriate to ask the question. Which nation do you think is the strongest in online poker and who has the most players ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm from Kazakhstan. By nationality I am a Turk. But I plead here for the Russian. All those who talk about that either Russian, you simply do not know. You brought up the TV. And your brainwashed by politicians in your country. No matter where you are. I think all who do not like Russian - is fascism. No matter who what nationality. Be a people. In any case the main thing to be a man

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have this akward notion that according to the avatar you choose can tell you what kinf of player you are, I think that it is a wrong idea to base your ideas only by the avatar, but also think that yes, the avatar can tell you something about the personality of your opponent :D that is only my thoughts ;)

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the Russians and respect them as a nation, I just say that I have observations that they are more aggressive players and bluffing more often

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't pay any attention to it. Not sure why any one would.

D

deeggr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right, but some nationalities have a level of play and also serves as player information

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think an opponent can be judged by an avatar. But at the same time I think the avatar can say a lot about a person.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very true but hard not to do sometimes.

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually assume most women avatars of hot chicks are men. Especially if their name sounds male.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the stereotypes of poker players based on avatars only make it difficult to play. Opponent with the help of his avatar can mislead you.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The poker book I am reading now actually starts off with some generalizations based on avatars and user names. I am sure that these are not correct 100% of the time, but it surprised me how accurate they can be. Here are a few examples:

- Anything involving booze or cars typically mean a player > 30 years old, likely a recreational player
- Anything involving a famous poker player, likely to be bad
- 'Crazy', 'bluff' anything like that in a name, very likely a tight player. I have found that the opposite is also true. This one is the most reliable out of what I have found.
- Baby in picture often a rec. player > 30 and probably very bad
- Pop culture references, things like 'lol' or 'monies', indicate a young player, likely active in forums who is probably aggressive
Interesting! That's almost like psychoanalysis of poker avatars. I don't usually pay any attention to the avatar at all, unless for some reason it really sticks out. In those cases I never draw any conclusions about the player, although perhaps I should.

carli

carli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's true, but the russians are crazy. At 888, sometimes he can upset the shooting of the eggs.Pkr poker was interesting on this issue.You could say different things which sometimes upset the opponent.

V

ValentinBLR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late. I lost the tournament. I estimated the opponent on the avatar, which I regretted later. Now I do not do it.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL if the opponent has a name "I'll kill you if you win", I'd be scared

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avatars and Nationality give no infomation on the player

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree, but I have a problem in respecting some avatars like disney doll,

Douglas Gonzaga

Douglas Gonzaga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not care by the name and the avatar, but by their attitudes during the game