Do you change your style?

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you change the way you play online when you jump from Cash type game to a MTT or a SNG. I dont see much difference other than the ICM makes you play super tighter. But ultimatly it feels like i play the same on all three different game styles. Good thoughts maybe i can learn something.
I don t change my style, but in cash game i play more responsible!:))

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If I usually change depending on the position my stack and other issues, also when I learn something new I implement it while I play:D

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
yes you do have to change your style of playing. sometimes you have to be really aggressif in order to win some hands
Mostly when you have AA because you can have a bad beat easely

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I particularly pay attention to nationalities to predict certain kind of plays, and I change accordingly.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play too. But I have noticed that playing the same way in different types of games only increases the speed of how you win and lose chips in certain tournaments, because the variance always changes from one to the other.
Do you change the way you play online when you jump from Cash type game to a MTT or a SNG. I dont see much difference other than the ICM makes you play super tighter. But ultimatly it feels like i play the same on all three different game styles. Good thoughts maybe i can learn something.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are two different types of games in themselves. In cash games the blinds stay the same the whole time and in a Tournament blinds increase so you just can't wait all day for a good starting hand or the blinds will eat you up. You have to learn to pick your spots in a Tournament. In cash games you can wait for a good starting hand before entering into a pot. So to sum up yes I change styles for cash games and Tournaments.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You can't play the same way.
Basically you have to have a style of play that suits each situation:

1- Cash games - play tight
2- CardsChat paid ST and tournaments and freerolls - Light tight
3- Shooting-style freerolls with 3000, 5000 player courses (ah ... 888Poker) - Take more chances in the beginning. There is no point in spending 2 hours in a freeroll to earn 28 cents. If you survive the shootout with a considerable stack, play tight. If the pot is small All-in or fold.
4- PLO. - Seeing the flop whenever possible and not thinking that two pair is a strong hand.

Each of the 3 needs a different style of play.

7thseal

7thseal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I admit I play different on cash games than with tourneys. I read that most people play more conservative with cash games. I guess I am the exception, because I figure in a cash game you can always rebuy where as a tourney you generally have a certain amount of chips in play. This strategy changes when the tourney has re-buys and such, but at the end of a tourney I tend to play tighter ,than in pure cash scenarios. I also factor in the cost of a tourney as well. A $109 buy-in is treated a bit different than a freeroll. It also depends on how deep my bankroll is at the time. Bottom line my goal isn't always to win, but place high as my stack will allow. Sometimes I even will sit out a few hand just to secure a higher ending position.

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, I change according to the progress of the tournament and how the table behaves.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure, I am a little bit loose but if I see that the table is reacting on me I change it to tight and vice-versa

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I change my style of from time to time. I might start off playing a certain way. Then, as others become accustomed to they way I'm playing, I might change my style. I might start off playing tight and aggressive, betting out when I have it and folding when I don't. It's very straight forward and predictable, if my opponents are paying attention. Yet it is remarkably effective, at least for while. As soon as I think that they are starting to realize how predictable I am, I start trapping, check/raising and bluffing. Or I might do it the other way around.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I change my style of from time to time. I might start off playing a certain way. Then, as others become accustomed to they way I'm playing, I might change my style. I might start off playing tight and aggressive, betting out when I have it and folding when I don't. It's very straight forward and predictable, if my opponents are paying attention. Yet it is remarkably effective, at least for while. As soon as I think that they are starting to realize how predictable I am, I start trapping, check/raising and bluffing. Or I might do it the other way around.

Nice signature, man!!!!!!!!;)

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Style

I always change my style like a women changes her shoes all day. Got to do it so no one knows whats going on. Capo1014

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I change but depending on what type of tournament I play, how it is happening to me on the occasion and what type of rivals I play at each table ...

B

bruno1234poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah! Sometimes you have to do this because of the occasion.

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to change your style of play constantly, it depends on the situation, but if you play in big tournaments, you need to do it all the time, which I do and it brings me luck.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to change your style every time but depends your stack and your position at table.

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have one style of play, he is thoughtful and reasonable, I never take risks if there is no good card, well, if only they are forced, I will not fold 2AA or AK.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All forms of poker have their own nuances of the game, and if you do not take them into account, you will win less or lose more. There is no one-size-fits-all style of play; you don't have to play all forms of poker at the same time.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A good player will change playing style's throughout a game simply because you don't always have the winning hand. It is like the song "You got to know when to hold-em, Know when to fold-em" (The Gambler).
You have to adjust to other players being seated at your table, in a large tourney, and you also need to slow down when you are moved to another table, so you can get some information on all the players already seated.
If you play too aggressive on a new table or against a new player you can soon lose a lot of chips, if he or they decide to be more aggressive player's,
The skill comes from practice, and the perception of the other players around you. Knowing when to slow down, or step on the gas is all dependent on position and chip power.
Poker is likened to chess, and in a way it is, because you always have to think about what you are going to do on the River even before the Flop is dealt. Being three steps ahead of your competition. is key to winning in both games.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Am beginning to. Seems like successful players are more aggressive as far as betting goes. Lose some fear. Don't go crazy overbetting like a fool but increase the pressure.