Bluffing Online

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone, Hope you are all safe and staying healthy.

I have a question about bluffing. How can one determine if an opposing player is bluffing when playing online? I've been bluffed several times recently and I was not happy about it. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

AlexeiShok

AlexeiShok

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, to be honest I don’t know for sure. This can be determined by looking at how the player plays. If he constantly raises, then from the game you can understand that he is bluffing. And if a player plays passively, then it is very difficult to determine because he plays only with good hands

georgel2384

georgel2384

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing

i think is very you know a player is bluffing when you see that he play very agresiv.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Hi, to be honest I don’t know for sure. This can be determined by looking at how the player plays. If he constantly raises, then from the game you can understand that he is bluffing. And if a player plays passively, then it is very difficult to determine because he plays only with good hands

That makes sense. I guess one should try and watch his game to determine their style and play pattern. Thanks

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have a question about bluffing. How can one determine if an opposing player is bluffing when playing online? I've been bluffed several times recently and I was not happy about it. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Aggressiveness of a player should not be the only one indicator. If you only use aggroness, you will lose a lot.

It's about how often he place bet on preflop. How often he raise on flop. If he often play, it means he play with wider range and if he raise a lot on flop, it means he push only to make you fold.

To counter this is sometimes you re-raise him on flop. If he call, play slowly on turn and river.

However, it is not a general rule, to understand their mindset, just read anything about LAG and bet sizing.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressiveness of a player should not be the only one indicator. If you only use aggroness, you will lose a lot.

It's about how often he place bet on preflop. How often he raise on flop. If he often play, it means he play with wider range and if he raise a lot on flop, it means he push only to make you fold.

To counter this is sometimes you re-raise him on flop. If he call, play slowly on turn and river.

However, it is not a general rule, to understand their mindset, just read anything about LAG and bet sizing.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

B

Bird173

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There is a thing in poker called minimum defence frequency. It is something that I won’t pretend to fully understand but basically when implemented properly makes you unexploitable. It is a very gto concept.....I think not sure. I find a lot of the $ in poker actually comes from calling down when you aren’t totally sure but it is a balancing act that is for sure. Flag the hands that fit into this category for a couple days and then review them as a group

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

There is a thing in poker called minimum defence frequency. It is something that I won’t pretend to fully understand but basically when implemented properly makes you unexploitable. It is a very gto concept.....I think not sure. I find a lot of the $ in poker actually comes from calling down when you aren’t totally sure but it is a balancing act that is for sure. Flag the hands that fit into this category for a couple days and then review them as a group

Thanks buddy. I will look into that. Good luck at the tables.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Many ways, flop betting frequency for a start. Combine this with turn and river and preflop raise frequencies to build an idea of what a player is doing. If you see a high frequency (over 50%), combined with raise sizes that are large (like pot size), you are getting bluffed.

But don't always look at it as bluffing, there are many situations where players will continuation bet all of their preflop range on the flop with a small raise size and it is a fair approximation of a balanced strategy.

Some examples below (keep in mind you would need a HUD to really be able to make these reads; unless you catch villain showing down with trash that should never even have been bluffed with in which case you can safely assume he spews with bluffs)

Example 1) Player has Preflop Raise% (PFR) that's 20% and flop cbet% of 60, it's safe to say a lot of the time he isn't hitting the board when he is betting. You can say he has a "weak range" because it's so wide. You should be more inclined to call him with weaker hands that you wouldn't normally continue with, or re raise him with playable hands.

Important concept: The less often someone bets, and the more streets they bet on, combined with bigger bet size, the stronger their hand (or more correctly range) usually is. The opposite is true as well

Example 2) Player has preflop raise that's tight (7%), but flop cbet% is high (70%). You might be misled by the high flop cbet% but because his preflop range is so tight (strong), then he is usually cbetting more strong hands than the guy in example 1.

Example 3) Player has high cbet% on all 3 streets = definitely a maniac, UNLESS he is a nit with like a 4% PFR which means he is barreling a lot of strong pairs and overcards.

Also look at aggression factor, aggression factors of 4 or higher can be used as an indicator of an overly aggressive or bluffy player.

It's all about frequencies, minimum defense frequency, betting frequency, etc.

Last edited:
Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At nl10 there value bettnig is going to be profitable. Bluffing isn't.
I am going to be bluffing 100% of my range...

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many ways, flop betting frequency for a start. Combine this with turn and river and preflop raise frequencies to build an idea of what a player is doing. If you see a high frequency (over 50%), combined with raise sizes that are large (like pot size), you are getting bluffed.

But don't always look at it as bluffing, there are many situations where players will continuation bet all of their preflop range on the flop with a small raise size and it is a fair approximation of a balanced strategy.

Some examples below (keep in mind you would need a HUD to really be able to make these reads; unless you catch villain showing down with trash that should never even have been bluffed with in which case you can safely assume he spews with bluffs)

Example 1) Player has Preflop Raise% (PFR) that's 20% and flop cbet% of 60, it's safe to say a lot of the time he isn't hitting the board when he is betting. You can say he has a "weak range" because it's so wide. You should be more inclined to call him with weaker hands that you wouldn't normally continue with, or re raise him with playable hands.

Important concept: The less often someone bets, and the more streets they bet on, combined with bigger bet size, the stronger their hand (or more correctly range) usually is. The opposite is true as well

Example 2) Player has preflop raise that's tight (7%), but flop cbet% is high (70%). You might be misled by the high flop cbet% but because his preflop range is so tight (strong), then he is usually cbetting more strong hands than the guy in example 1.

Example 3) Player has high cbet% on all 3 streets = definitely a maniac, UNLESS he is a nit with like a 4% PFR which means he is barreling a lot of strong pairs and overcards.

Also look at aggression factor, aggression factors of 4 or higher can be used as an indicator of an overly aggressive or bluffy player.

It's all about frequencies, minimum defense frequency, betting frequency, etc.

Thank you very much. This really helps me. I have one question. Was does HUD stand for?

PS: you should write a strategy book on poker. Thanx.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have seen a couple players online that love to show their cards when they bluff. They want you to think they are always bluffing. When they hit a hand, they want you to call or even raise them. They want you to tilt.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you very much. This really helps me. I have one question. Was does HUD stand for?

A HUD (Heads Up Display) is a App that gives you real time details on players you have faced. How often they raise preflop, how often they continuation bet, how often they fold to a raise... It is a pay app, that you can get free on trial (30 days).

Using a HUD is good when you play multiple tables and/or face the same players often. I think it distracts, but others find it useful. I think downloading one on trial is useful. It might expose somethings that you are doing wrong, like playing too many hands. It is also helpful for looking at hands you played later.

I wouldn't use it except for information on my own game, unless you are playing lots of poker and multiple tables.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

A HUD (Heads Up Display) is a app that gives you real time details on players you have faced. How often they raise preflop, how often they continuation bet, how often they fold to a raise... It is a pay app, that you can get free on trial (30 days).

Thanks again buddy.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR Freeroll

I played in ACR's freeroll today. I finished 63rd out of 300 players. I was satisfied with my play. In the 3rd hour of play I was raised by a big stack and I re-raised all in. He called me. I had AK suited he had 5-7 off-suit, he hit runner runner to make a straight and knocked me out. What can one do. Nothing. As they said in Forrest Gump, shit happens. :eek:

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t know if there is a specific way to know someone is bluffing. You may be able to get an idea if you play against them long enough but even then it’s all kind of a guess.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

PS: you should write a strategy book on poker. Thanx.
Thank you, I'm flattered [emoji4] .

I am actually writing one but it's more of a personal project to reinforce my knowledge, I add new concepts to it whenever I begin to actively incorporate them into my play. Maybe one day when I'm a much better player I will release it.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in ACR's freeroll today. I finished 63rd out of 300 players. I was satisfied with my play. In the 3rd hour of play I was raised by a big stack and I re-raised all in. He called me. I had AK suited he had 5-7 off-suit, he hit runner runner to make a straight and knocked me out. What can one do. Nothing. As they said in Forrest Gump, shit happens. :eek:
Haha, ya fish and variance often go hand in hand :)

You'll find you will probably do better in tournaments with buy ins.

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a lot of draws brick, he has a lot less value hands and a lot more unpaired bluffing hands to choose from so it's much easier for him to be bluffing more often than he should be.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Haha, ya fish and variance often go hand in hand :)

You'll find you will probably do better in tournaments with buy ins.

Thank you. In those free rolls there is no risk involved so players go crazy. They try to double up early.

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Always look at the line your opponent takes to see if it makes sence. Also concider your range, if you have the top of your range you probably should call most of the time. Another thing to concider is calling flops and turns with bottom of your range, if you thik you will face big bets on later streets and you dont fell comfortable calling them off, best to fold without investing much, so you dont have to play the guessing game. Having stats on your opponent halps alot in this situations.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Always look at the line your opponent takes to see if it makes sence. Also concider your range, if you have the top of your range you probably should call most of the time. Another thing to concider is calling flops and turns with bottom of your range, if you thik you will face big bets on later streets and you dont fell comfortable calling them off, best to fold without investing much, so you dont have to play the guessing game. Having stats on your opponent halps alot in this situations.

Thank you for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting patterns. You can bluff that you're bluffing too looking weak when you have it.

S

Selim10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Follow the way he plays , if he is very agressive , you have to be patient a set your trap ! Good luck