WTF happened to High Stakes Poker

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe I'm feeling too nostalgic, but they used to invite only renowned poker players to be in High Stakes Poker, not some obnoxious people that have, let's say, suspicious/unexplained sources of wealth.

HSP provided a televised battle between some of the best cash game players for an absurd amount of money.

Now it's pretty much a freak show

Images   2023 04 28T124326056

IMG 20230428 125516

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The first picture makes me nostalgic... :oops::oops::oops:

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yeah maybe I'm spoiled from how it used to be but I lasted just long enough to see who was playing, anything with Doug Polk is usually a no from me anyway but there was no one remotely interesting to me...

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
It's still fun to see people playing for absurd amounts of money, but as you said it, I kinda miss how it was back in the day. Good poker players, good atmosphere. Now days it's more of a "show" in it's full meaning, same as it's happening everywhere no the world scale. Production trying to push what they believe sells to majority. We might sadly be in minority here my friend.

1Payou

1Payou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah this was not a great game buy any standars. It Got worse the longer it went on.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think it was the first poker show that I've watched and I enjoyed it. It reminds me the good days.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
84 diamond gets fully paid when cracking aces (y) :giggle:

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
I know. Its not the same as the good old days, but we have to think realistic.....
The old guys have to be replaced right? Or else we will be looking at only 60+ oldies playing high stakes 😎

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I know. Its not the same as the good old days, but we have to think realistic.....
The old guys have to be replaced right? Or else we will be looking at only 60+ oldies playing high stakes 😎
I don't think age is the issue, I'd rather watch 80 year olds than this crap.... are you seriously saying there are no interesting newer players???, that's sad lol

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I mean this is one of the highlight clips Pokergo is posting on YouTube... who wants to watch people like this tool

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did love that show! .I used to watch it on weekends.The line-ups of that era were amazing with excellent and charismatic poker players.Unfortunately,I do not know most of the players of the second table but Jennifer Tilly and Doug Polk

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The venn diagram between people willing to play those stakes and with any personality is pretty small. Most of the people there are trying to sell a brand (Polk/ Berkey/Persson), are there to make money (Lin), or are just maximizing their 15 minutes of fame (Airball). I think Tilly is just there out of habit...

Theoretically the idea was Berkey's beef with Airball/Polk/Persson would make it interesting, but it turned out to be just a drunk idiot shouting over people for 3 hours.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Doug Polk released a video commenting his view on this:

I don't necessarily think that it was a "freak" show, despite not liking Nik and Eric, but I mostly agree with you. Not only me, but it looks like most part of audience also agrees.
Well, nostalgia is also quite powerful, so it is great to remember the good old days, so we might end up being unfair when comparing both. We can't deny that times have changed, the entertainment changed a lot, and also there is much more people playing, with many different styles.
Maybe the formula of gathering "peculiar" high stakes players is not guaranteed to make a good show, and audience will tell when that happens.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm feeling too nostalgic, but they used to invite only renowned poker players to be in High Stakes Poker, not some obnoxious people that have, let's say, suspicious/unexplained sources of wealth.

HSP provided a televised battle between some of the best cash game players for an absurd amount of money.

View attachment 331136

View attachment 331138
I just think the times have just changed, I probably wouldn't watch this show just because I am a rec player and doing other things, but I wouldn't at all think of these guys and gals as freaks. If you visited the Lodge in Round Rock, Texas you would think it is a poker heaven, the place can't be topped for playing poker ran by Doug Polk. The only video I watched of Eric Persson was him talking crap to Phil Helmuth, but cmon, the guy (Phil) deserved it for doing it for so long to so many and on so many videos. But I don't consider him a freak, I consider him (Eric) pretty damn smart for doing it lol and great entertainment!. I don't really know the other players and their playing styles.

BTW I think Phil Helmuth is a pretty cool guy off the poker table for what he does for charity and whatnot, but good god what a nightmare it would be to actually play poker with. You couldn't pay me to hang out with the guy to play poker.

I think a lot of people forget that a TV show and poker personas is based on entertainment. Same goes with fake drama anywhere, it is just to have some damn fun and be dramatic lol

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
not some obnoxious people that have, let's say, suspicious/unexplained sources of wealth.
Please stop judging people. If you can afford it, no one would stop you from playing there too, then what would people "who think like you" say ??!

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was that the one with Gabe Kaplan as commentator? I remember him on Welcome Back Kotter---now that was a long time ago!

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was that the one with Gabe Kaplan as commentator? I remember him on Welcome Back Kotter---now that was a long time ago!
Some of those early high stake poker games are golden, its why I even cash out TBH playing recs lol, seriously legit OGS! hahah There are some classic moments in those games...I even think of them right up there with some of the best shows ever on TV. Just sayin, there was some real good stuff going on there back then:)

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted about this clip before and still think it is one of the greatest poker videos I have seen, just because it is hilarious and fun!

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you visited the Lodge in Round Rock, Texas you would think it is a poker heaven, the place can't be topped
This is the main room that I frequent the most. I play only tournaments there, atm. There are other club's w/promos for ring games. But the action you see in the live stream is wild because of the no rake or capped bets. They really do just want to gamble here. But I digress.
I've watched some of the new episodes of High Stakes and they're definitely a bit more aggressive w/the table talk but I think folx do that for the camera. I do miss those early episodes w/the original gang like Sammy and Viffer. I used to love watching Sammy and Eli get into pots; those were fkng awesome.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the main room that I frequent the most. I play only tournaments there, atm. There are other club's w/promos for ring games. But the action you see in the live stream is wild because of the no rake or capped bets. They really do just want to gamble here. But I digress.
I've watched some of the new episodes of High Stakes and they're definitely a bit more aggressive w/the table talk but I think folx do that for the camera. I do miss those early episodes w/the original gang like Sammy and Viffer. I used to love watching Sammy and Eli get into pots; those were fkng awesome.
You still effin with that wedding cake? Sorry, I have hyperthymesia, I remember everything, don't bring it to wilco, blaze it outside and discard. Just sayin. I have a long history with Wilco. Just because it is 2023, doesn't mean times are 2023. Especially in Wilco lol

This is the lite version to what I experienced growing up lol

Last edited:
JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

View attachment 331136

View attachment 331138
Spot on post ! Sad times :(

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I came onto the poker world later but see the HSP from the early-mid 2000's and looked like fun and players that are now considered legends. I've watched some HSP nowaday and it doesnt have many well known poker players like before but it does have pretty cool action, but yes, I prefer poker before but also enjoy poker today.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Let's be honest, there will never be a Player like Dolly Brunson and yes I prefer the 1st picture with some of my favourite players, but things change, I never liked Phil Helmuth that much in my early days but after seeing him away from the table he comes across as a really nice guy, nothing at all like the Poker Bratt he is when playing.
Even Players like Mike the Grinder Mizrachi has mellowed and not as fearsome as he used to be. Given a chance even newer players can become a Favourite over time.