dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I'm about to play at a club for the first time after about 4 years of playing online poker and cash live with friends. Do you have any advice for me as a first-timer?

rsparente

rsparente

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Don't get too eager for chips, I use to get very anxious to play when live, as I mostly play online.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I also like to play live with people and would play live all the time if I had more time but now I don't have enough time and I play online just take your time because in a live tournament you will play even fewer hands than online poker and the game will be very long. Try not to show your anxiety and emotions because it is very visible when you look at cards don't show your emotions

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Wrote this a year and a half ago. Lots of online players don't get the whole chip thing but even live players make things harder than they should be.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Best of luck and enjoy it.

My only tips would be try and spot the regulars and the guys just there for a day out (usually the weaker players)

Be patient as the action is slower than live and pick your spots.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to always be relaxed, not show that you are nervous, and the most important thing is to enjoy the moment, do not get frustrated, on the contrary, try to always be focused on your game and the opponent so that you can make adjustments to your game.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really try to pay attention to the hands that you are not in.

Try to minimize your physical tells.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Have a great sleep before game, that's very important!
Relax, be confident, enjoy and have fun - that's important... + little smile is ok! 🙂

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Put on your glasses and keep your emotions under control. Don't drink beer, especially don't drink anything stronger. Play with concentration, take your time, take risks when you have confidence in your chances.
Good luck :)

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play live at least a couple of times a week and my best advice would be to be yourself and enjoy it. It’s so much more enjoyable than any computer program could ever be imo. Take your time as it usually takes about 8 hours to complete a tournament of 60 players so it’s not like online when thousands drop out in an hour. Best of luck to you!

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm about to play at a club for the first time after about 4 years of playing online poker and cash live with friends. Do you have any advice for me as a first-timer?
Each person has a type of behavior, I usually have a lot of patience, observe the behavior of the participants as much as possible, I don't raise the cards, I don't comment on my cards, both when I give up and in the end when I bet, I leave my chips with higher values ahead (psychological issue) I don't like to talk when I'm playing, even when I give up the play, I don't eat either, I don't drink so as not to disturb my concentration and hand analysis

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Try to look relaxed and to stay above average, if you're playing MTT. For me, one major difference between live and online poker is that most people check the flop, it is normal, unlike what we learn about c-bets on the flop when playing online. Also, try to look at your cards only once, or when it is your action.
Idk where you're playing, but if there is some loose players just having fun on their happy hour, stay tight and crush them when you really have something.
My biggest issue when going to a poker house is that Idk when to stop, it's like we get more frustrated when loosing at a live game than online, that we are used to it; so I always end up doing rebuys, addons and such, even when it means spending more than I should. That said, always analyse when it is really worth to keep buying chips.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In live poker, when it comes to strategy, playing styles and basic knowledge, they are the same as in online poker and cash games with friends. Try to stick to your playing style, carefully choose the range of starting hands, do not enter the game with garbage hands, and at least approximately calculate the outs and pot odds in order to know whether it is profitable for you to call other people’s bets or raises. The gameplay itself is slightly different in live poker from the types of poker you have played before, but everything else remains the same.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The dealer runs the table.

Make sure you tell the dealer clearly and loudly what your intentions are....call....raise....fold.

I also recommend saying the amount you want to bet out loud instead of putting chips over the line without saying anything.

Good luck !

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wrote this a year and a half ago. Lots of online players don't get the whole chip thing but even live players make things harder than they should be.

I was just about to reply to this thread with a link to your thread from a year and a half ago. Now I don't need to BUT I do want to let OP know that this ^ is a good thread to read through. Tks Dave Mark
Are you heading to wsop Vegas this year DaveMark? I had some big plans to go but my partner is in rough shape so I might not be going anywhere.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
dont play lots of small pots at low stakes 'cause the rake will eat you alive !

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I was just about to reply to this thread with a link to your thread from a year and a half ago. Now I don't need to BUT I do want to let OP know that this ^ is a good thread to read through. Tks Dave Mark
Are you heading to WSOP Vegas this year DaveMark? I had some big plans to go but my partner is in rough shape so I might not be going anywhere.
Yeah, the plan is like the last 2 years. 3 separate 1-week periods. FYI, I had a big score last summer in the Seniors. 59th of 8190. $1000 --> $13,600

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, the plan is like the last 2 years. 3 separate 1-week periods. FYI, I had a big score last summer in the Seniors. 59th of 8190. $1000 --> $13,600
Wow! Very nice!
I'm eligible for the Super Seniors this year so 'if' I'm able to make it, I'll be there for the Seniors & SuperSeniors

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tip your dealer and be nice to them. Dealers will help you out of you make a mistake if they know you are a newer player.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Give it a miss, especially cash games. You're far better off playing on-line.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
bluff carefully or don't bluff at all, don't play at high limits and concentrate on one game.

Poker Tips