Table talking, and making assumptions

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone else make assumptions in live poker about people's abilities when they are at the table talking specifically about not surface level poker concepts? The other day, a young kid, maybe 21-23 years old was talking about "ev" and "so-and-so's range advantage" in between hands, and other poker buzz words, like "thin value" or when a pretty obvious weak player raises UTG+1, they fold very tightly and make comments about position and his AQ not being good here...

I made the assumption that the kid knew what he was talking about, but wanted other people to think he was very good, but probably lacked the ability to put that knowledge into actual action. Specifically, in a hand where i was in the BB with 10Jss and he was UTG+2. He opened with a raise 3.5xBB. it folded around to me, and I called.

Flop is AdQh8c. I check, and he bets somewhat small I call. Turn is 8s. I check and he bets, and I raise. He calls, and the river is the Qc. I bet 3/4 pot and he folds AK face up.

Just wondering if people hear others talking about poker strategy and just kinda laugh it off as inexperienced players trying to make others think they're good players. Should I not make that assumption? Just wondering.

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I guess it sounds like a case of, I think I know what I’m talking about rather than knowing, for example I may know about something but it doesn’t mean I’m good at it

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Talk about making assumptions...

What kind of money were you playing for?
When you say he "bets" or "bets somewhat small" what are you talking about? What are the bets?
Did you have a particular table image yourself?

It looks like he gave you credit for having queens and eights in your range, which they very well could be as BB. But I don't think it's wise to then label him as one thing or another just based on one incorrect looking lay down with limited information.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Talk about making assumptions...

What kind of money were you playing for?
When you say he "bets" or "bets somewhat small" what are you talking about? What are the bets?
Did you have a particular table image yourself?

It looks like he gave you credit for having queens and eights in your range, which they very well could be as BB. But I don't think it's wise to then label him as one thing or another just based on one incorrect looking lay down with limited information.
I had just sat down, played 2 hands maybe 3 before this happened. His bet was smallish on the flop, but i was pretty sure he had an Ace, just based on how he was talking.

I am not saying he made a bad play, to the contrary, i would have also folded in this situation, but rather, I decided to make this play at a 1/2NL live game against where the vast majority of people won't lay down AK even if the board is double paired. My assumptions were based solely on his table talk.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I wouldn't base any decision on what type of player he is on one hand,.... but please keep him talking😎👍

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
At least in the short term, at the poker table I don't give much credence to what another player says or does. Deception is a major element of the game, so anything that anyone does could be for that reason. I believe that playing wild when he sat down was how Mike Caro earned his nickname "The Mad Russian". :)

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Everyone makes assumptions all the time…some are unconscious assumptions but they are still there.

The info about the hand is irrelevant. What I heard you say is that you assumed he had knowledge but lacked experience based on what he said. This could be true…it’s how people pad their resume by using buZz words. They know what people want to hear so that’s what they say. Truthfully I probably would’ve made the same assumption since my experience at that tables never includes anyone actually using those words. The only people who do are people trying to explain the game to those who are learning it.

If someone makes a call with a questionable hand based on getting great pot odds…they never say that’s why the made the call. They know why they made the call…so does everyone else at the table who understands. the game. Someone with limited experience might vocalize it, but that would just to tell others have some knowledge of the game.

Just my thoughts on the matter…

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do make assumptions to determine if a person is loose or tight by their tendencies.. But can't read too much into it..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A real pro definitely dont act like a "poker expert" at the table. So I would mentally classify this opponent as some kind of "bad reg". But I am not sure, how this relates to the hand history, you share? You basically ran a bluff on a board runout, which was better for your range than his. And I am not sure, he did anything really wrong by folding AK in the end. Other than showing it to the table, which further put him in the "bad reg" category. He is basically saying "look what a great fold I am able to make". So this would have been a fantastic time to show the bluff and potentially tilt him :)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Be sure to keep an eye on what other players are doing. Ideally, you should aim to eliminate as many players as possible while maintaining your position. Test your bluffing skills and try to use them to rise to the top.Poker is a game of luck, skill and the ability to recognize situations and opponents. Moreover, it is also a math game. Players must be able to calculate their chances of winning as well as their opponents.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are different types of players: some blame the dealer for all their failures. Others believe that they are truly good players because they have studied the theory of poker, but they have no practice or experience. I usually don't make any assumptions, I just watch everything that happens from the outside and continue to play poker the way I know how to do it. If a player is truly good, then the result of his play should speak for itself, but if this person loses every day, then he simply believes that he is playing well, but in fact he is not.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i don´t even read table chat, so irrelevant

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There's nothing that he discarded his cards, he thought you had a very strong card and you're ahead, he's probably a really strong player. If he could throw such a strong hand against you sometimes players can say a lot of words but when it comes to playing they play very poorly, so you don't always have to believe this conversation

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
When I’m playing at a live table event I am constantly paying attention to everything, this includes all the bragging, ego talking, and how they are playing every spot. If I think the person talking poker to impress their knowledge of the game over the table, well it makes me chuckle a little inside, this is the entertainment part of poker! But how they play is everything and that’s going to show how good they are. Bet sizing says a lot about how good or how new they are. Good luck everyone!