Show vs Muck

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never show my cards in any situation unless im playing with friends for fun, or someone offers me something like a free drink or something to show, then they might talk me into it.

Yes you may show cards for motivation :) I know there can be a rule that opponents give you chips for showing :D

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you show your cards... if you have flexible style - is it important?

sometimes cards needed to be shown, no matter strong opponent or weak, especially if you need to give your opponent false information about your style of playing :cool:

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never shown my card, to keep my game ... but sometimes I do to cheat games ...

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you show your cards in live poker if you've lost (or if others fold)? I understand muck is best variant cause opponents won't know your bluff but if you have flexible style - is it important? You can show bluff and next same situation you can have slow play. Also I know fun siuations when you show cards because it's epic hand:) What do you think?
I used to show alot more years ago, I think today if I keep getting good hands and say I raise 3 hands in a row, if I had AA KK or AK( or the tip top of my range) I might show to make the table think I'm staying in line, but then I can plow through with bluffs.
I agree w/ everyone on the thread who says never show, especially if its a cash game and you'll be playing the same people for hours. Big factor for me also would be the type of game and players, you know the mood or atmosphere of the table. If you have some exploitable leaks (all of us do) why show cards for free, in a game full of sharks? On the flip-side if people are gambling having a good time, so should you and have some fun!

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I keep my option open always.

Most times I muck, but at times if I bring down a pot without show down I would show both my cards.
That way I keep my status of a good player up at all times.

I generally down show my bluff.

Good luck

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving information away is not the problem. The problem is playing so static and rigid that your opponents use the information given in a useful way against you. Poker is about strategy and adaptability. Stay two steps ahead of your opponent!

This ^^^

Only show your cards when you have a reason to do so and you think you can make it profitable in the future (assuming you are playing to make money...if not show when its fun)

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Show V Muck

I'm New Bee, Playing for online poker since just before joining CardsChat... Had online account for years but only used play money games @ party poker then stopped when I became a lone parent for the next 12 years or so... Plenty of live local games though... lots

Now the history is out of the way....

Yes I've had lots of fun showing my cards at live games over the years and used to keep the good cards hidden but show the Drunken Donkey cards which I could see from the opponents eyes was a damaging move for them...

Since Playing online I've not been able to see their eyes or reactions so every time I've got a really good set and no one calls to see then yes I'll show... I do this to increase their fear the very next time I raise against them...

It also gives the opponent the "feel good" factor that they narrowly missed an obvious defeat and this instills the need for "feel good" when they play you their options are "fold feel good" or keep paying in and possibly feel bad as a result...

kahneman.jpg

This Book Thinking Fast and Slow is fantastic, I've not read all of it yet but the "Biases" It makes you aware of is all about how we make common mistakes in thinking based on how we "feel" about the situation... the "Feel Good" factor always out weighs the consequences...

So to make your opponent feel good about folding you need to show them why it was a good idea to fold every now and then...

Never show a losing Hand in online Poker if you can help it... Ever... the feel good factor works here too and it's only good if you're planning to trap later on...

Last edited:
C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show unless called, live or online. I ran into a nutball online who made crazy raises and calls then showed when he won the hand. I hated it. It’s obnoxious. I mean keep it to yourself dude. It took just one bad beat to get enough info to take his stacks and I look for him every I log on.

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you show your cards in live poker if you've lost (or if others fold)? I understand muck is best variant cause opponents won't know your bluff but if you have flexible style - is it important? You can show bluff and next same situation you can have slow play. Also I know fun siuations when you show cards because it's epic hand:) What do you think?

I personaly think, showing cards it`s about building a reputation for strategyc use.

ChipWinged

ChipWinged

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personaly think, showing cards it`s about building a reputation for strategyc use.

I am agree with you! You can just "draw" your play style showing cards after bluff and then you can do another unexpected move - it's more efficient way than just not showing cards :) In my opinion sure!

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only show my cards when I am in the BB and clearly they are stealing my blinds but I have a very bad hand, so I show it to give the impression that the next bluff will not pass, that it only passed because I had nothing

Bluestripes

Bluestripes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never show. I only show if I think it will benefit me in the long run. Most of my play is done by feel.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only show cards to weak players. Because the next time he thinks I'm bluffing, he'll go all the way. A strong player, and so will adapt to the style of play (I think). And I really don't like being shown cards. If the player is bluffing, good luck. But don't let him show his cards, and don't let him upset me)))

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not show. I deny my opponents information as much as possible.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Muck 99.9% of the time. I have showed once or twice before when hitting a huge hand. (One of which was the royal flush) But giving out information the others players will never benefit you. It can only hurt you

Stabbi

Stabbi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are rare moments i show card, just to show i didn't bluff, so latter on even if i bluff they quit. Working well for now. ������

B

binalf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Post

Hello everybody, im new here.
i do never show my cards, never nevver

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is great tool how you can tilting your enemies, if you show bluff they will call you more loose next hands.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO,for the most part, if you feel you are a good player, then there can be value in showing your hand in some situations, when you think it can help you in a future hand. Where, the players may react differently in a future hand, then they would have had they not seen your bluff. But if you do not feel you are that good of a player yet, you're probably better off not sharing that information, since you may not fully understand the consequences you may bring upon yourself, now that you've armed them with that information.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will muck if its a bluff..show if I have the nuts

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards. Why give opponents more information about my game?
I agree with that also. I played a game today and I got bluffed buy one guy twice(he showed his cards after the bluffs :D), there was a third time we went the flop together, he tried to bluff me once again but I won the pot and he had 200 chips left. Normally I would fold in the situation I was in but he was playing very aggressive and bluffing a lot.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never show less info the better in my opinion.:):):)

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
free information is generally not good in a game of incomplete information, but sometimes it can prove beneficial if you want to divert and give the impression you play a particular style, in order to do the exact opposite.

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to muck all the time , and also i like to play very slow sometimes when it's easy fold just to give the impression of having hard time or holding strong hand.
These moves could make your opponent tilt sometimes and force him to show his cards for no reason .

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I want to try and manipulate the perception I will always muck. I do not want anyone getting free information.