Should I enter a live Tourney after studying poker for 2 months?

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can afford it then definitely. I play live at least twice a week and the opposition includes little old ladies and lots of hobby players along with the more sophisticated players. You don’t get half the bad beats with real cards and nobody will ever call your Aces all in with 75 suited and flop a flush!! It’s worth the buy in just for the enjoyment of playing and who knows you may do much better than anybody might think. Go for it, good luck!

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If these buy-ins are not a lot of money for you, then I would advise you to play in such tournaments. The fact that you have theoretical knowledge is very good, but the experience that you get in practice, you cannot get in training videos . When I started playing live poker, I had practically no theoretical knowledge; apart from poker combinations, I didn’t know anything else. True, I started playing live cash games and very rarely played tournaments. And at the same time, from the first days of my game, I was a winning player, because I only played with good hands. I wish you good luck in live tournaments and in gaining gaming experience.

Last edited:
KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Hy Guys I just busted from the 100 eu entry 100k GTD MTT. finished 98/103. I made a rookie mistake at the table.

I went it investing in the experience not expecting to win or anything, just to play well, get some 3bets in once I get more comfortable, have fun and learn from the experience.

Boy did I learn the hard way hahaha...

6handed Blinds 100/200 Hand: JJ Pos: BB
LJ limps
HJ raises 500
I raise 1500
HJ raises 3000
I call
Flop: 8 6 4 I think with a flush draw
HJ has lost about 80% of hands the whole game about 40mins in.
I ask how many chips he has left, he slightly moves the ones in front... the 5000 chips are hidden behind his front 2 or 3 stacks...

It's my mistake believing he had so few chips, I thought to myself like 60bbs

we started with 30,000stack 100/100 , bb ante

😭 I put him all in he shows his AA,
makes sense, how did he make that call though...
I easily could have had set... bad play on my part anyways, If I did It again I probably would like a small bet 33%/ a check on the flop.

I go down to 60bbs or so
at about 25bbs I go Allin with AQo from the BB with 4/5 limpers before me. 8 handed now. I lose to 52s from the SB on 23Q64

On the walk to the car I avoided the temptation to go back for a late rebuy, learned a lot had fun and know what to work on going forward.

There was a lot of info to process at the table and understanding the pot size/ amount I bbs I had was the toughest part. I was table chip leader for 40mins slowly building my stack everything was going very well until I got those bloody Jack's hahah

Thanks for all the advice guys, open to hear more as always !

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Nice job going in there and fighting!! Take this time to study what you did wrong and how you can fix it for next time. Each time you play it’s a learning experience. Keep learning and having fun!

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I wouldn't, but everyone is free to choose. If you have the money and you want to do it, all the luck at the tables

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
no u shouldn´t enter a live tourney ever, online is the way to go.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hy Guys I just busted from the 100 eu entry 100k GTD MTT. finished 98/103. I made a rookie mistake at the table.

I went it investing in the experience not expecting to win or anything, just to play well, get some 3bets in once I get more comfortable, have fun and learn from the experience.

LJ limps
HJ raises 500
I raise 1500
HJ raises 3000
I call
I ask how many chips he has left, he slightly moves the ones in front... the 5000 chips are hidden behind his front 2 or 3 stacks...

I easily could have had set... bad play on my part anyways, If I did It again I probably would like a small bet 33%/ a check on the flop.

I go down to 60bbs or so
at about 25bbs I go Allin with AQo from the BB with 4/5 limpers before me. 8 handed now. I lose to 52s from the SB on 23Q64

On the walk to the car I avoided the temptation to go back for a late rebuy, learned a lot had fun and know what to work on going forward.

There was a lot of info to process at the table and understanding the pot size/ amount I bbs I had was the toughest part. I was table chip leader for 40mins slowly building my stack everything was going very well until I got those bloody Jack's hahah

You know what they say: There's only two way to play Jacks, and they're both wrong! 😄

I think it's great that you played the tournament, and even better that you resisted the temptation to do the late rebuy - those are the kinds of things that can get you in trouble, bankroll-wise. I would encourage you to play smaller buy-in live events, and maybe even cash games, just to get that experience. It is completely different than playing online, for sure.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello friend.
This will depend on the good old question, are you investing money that you can lose?
In Poker, the very pressure of using money that in theory you could not lose will make you lose concentration and harm your game. Think about it and make your choice...

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

LJ limps
HJ raises 500
I raise 1500
HJ raises 3000
I call

I go down to 60bbs or so

Wow, hate to say it but that JJ hand was a total car crash. It sounds like you donk shoved in a 4bet pot, aces and kings are never folding there.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
You know what they say: There's only two way to play Jacks, and they're both wrong! 😄
Someone's favorite hand is Jacks... 😁

Ont.
Doesn't matter about results, you feel it on your skin, how does it feel/to play live poker! 😉

We have beautiful Serbian sayings "First kittens trow to the water" lol, that's too much, but you get it...😉

J

jmbluffnstuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't used the site you are speaking of so I cannot comment on it.
I can't play online poker anymore where I live, but I used to play on FT Poker before Black Friday hit.
The software I tried out was called the Sit N Go wizard. It was excellent.
I initially made several small deposits before using it, and only broke even, didn't know what I was doing wrong.

The SNG wiz taught me how to play properly after 90 days studying and practicing with it, about 4 hours a day.
I went back on FT Poker and won $5 in a freeroll, and in a years' time turned it to just shy of 3K.
It's grinding poker, you aren't going to get rich playing 9 person S&G games, but armed with the skills learned from the S&G wizard, you will win long term.
ROI is usually between 14-15. Build your bankroll up slowly, and then when you have at least 60 buy in's for the next level up, move up in stakes. If you run into variance, once you're down to 60 buy in's for the lower level, go back down. I only had to do this once.
Once you get comfortable with making proper decisions, you can play 4-5 games at once, increasing your bankroll a good bit quicker.

It really boils down to what you want to do playing poker.
If you'd rather play a tourney that could net you a big payday, then play MTTS. There will be a lot of variance playing these though. Don't play these for more money than your bankroll can handle.
If you'd rather grind out a bunch of small wins, 9 person S&G is a game you can definitely beat with proper strategy. You only have to beat 6 players to finish in the money.
Cash games can also be grinded out and produce long term winnings, though they have more variance than S&G, but not as much as MTTS.

Pick one and apply yourself to becoming as good as you possibly can.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a huge step.. Maybe start with small buyin and see how it goes..

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Hello friend.
This will depend on the good old question, are you investing money that you can lose?
In Poker, the very pressure of using money that in theory you could not lose will make you lose concentration and harm your game. Think about it and make your choice...
I limited myself to this one live learning experience, investment really, I'll work on what I need to for the next time I play a game I'm actually bankrolled for

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Wow, hate to say it but that JJ hand was a total car crash. It sounds like you donk shoved in a 4bet pot, aces and kings are never folding there.
exactly just a rookie mistake not understanding he can't be that short stack at that point in the mtt, although he was hiding his 2 most valuable stacks behind his other stacks which we all know is so wrong, is the dealer not meant to step in at that point ? to say reveal your chips you know ?
My fault anyways obv...

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
exactly just a rookie mistake not understanding he can't be that short stack at that point in the mtt, although he was hiding his 2 most valuable stacks behind his other stacks which we all know is so wrong, is the dealer not meant to step in at that point ? to say reveal your chips you know ?
My fault anyways obv...
Not a live poker expert but it sound like an angle/cheating, maybe you needed to complain louder at the time or get the floor involved?

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I have many opportunities around me to participate live, not something big, quite accessible, but I still don't know how to control my emotions. I've been playing poker for over 20 years and it's still not something for me to guide others to in any way.In the end everyone does what they think regardless of what others decide.
If you go, good luck! And let us know how that experience was for you, and let's see if there's anything to look into.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
My fault anyways obv...
The big chips must be on top or out front per TDA rules so if the dealer was doing their job they should have said something to this guy before the action even happened. Players will notice this too so I’m surprised they didn’t say anything. In a cash game it doesn’t matter. But to protect yourself next time just ask or stand up and physically look at what his chip stack is. Never trust another player, if they are hiding chips it’s a clear angle.
That being said, try not going broke that early in the tournament with just a pair. It’s a learning experience but hey if your hand held up you would have been in a great spot!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My fault anyways obv...
Yes, that's a good point. Next time, don't be afraid to speak up and say something to the dealer.

I have many opportunities around me to participate live, not something big, quite accessible, but I still don't know how to control my emotions. I've been playing poker for over 20 years and it's still not something for me to guide others to in any way.In the end everyone does what they think regardless of what others decide.
If you go, good luck! And let us know how that experience was for you, and let's see if there's anything to look into.
It gets better the more you go! For me, my heart rate and everything would go up every hand when I first started playing live. Almost like public speaking... :LOL: But it got easier and better the more I did it. I haven't played live in so long...I really want to go now!

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if u want the experience of playing live why not??? good luck!

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats on your first live tourney. Impressed to hear you were chip leader for 40 mins and you weren't scared to apply pressure with 3 bets, and asking for opponent chip counts. My first live tourney, I was nervous and made table etiquette mistakes I had no clue about. I couldn't keep track of the pot size, and acted out if turn several times (still do this sometimes, but have improved in paying attention). I agree with Tammy about the way to play pocket J's. Good to hear you didn't re-buy, and instead gonna take the time to study. Good luck in the next one.

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
your right maybe I should have actually said something, I didn't because it was my first time playing live, and honestly when he pulled out those extra stacks I was shocked and then he showed me the AA and I was like wtf...
Not a live poker expert but it sound like an angle/cheating, maybe you needed to complain louder at the time or get the floor involved?

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
The big chips must be on top or out front per TDA rules so if the dealer was doing their job they should have said something to this guy before the action even happened. Players will notice this too so I’m surprised they didn’t say anything. In a cash game it doesn’t matter. But to protect yourself next time just ask or stand up and physically look at what his chip stack is. Never trust another player, if they are hiding chips it’s a clear angle.
That being said, try not going broke that early in the tournament with just a pair. It’s a learning experience but hey if your hand held up you would have been in a great spot!
yep completely agree thank you !

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Congrats on your first live tourney. Impressed to hear you were chip leader for 40 mins and you weren't scared to apply pressure with 3 bets, and asking for opponent chip counts. My first live tourney, I was nervous and made table etiquette mistakes I had no clue about. I couldn't keep track of the pot size, and acted out if turn several times (still do this sometimes, but have improved in paying attention). I agree with Tammy about the way to play pocket J's. Good to hear you didn't re-buy, and instead gonna take the time to study. Good luck in the next one.
Well said perfect thanks, yes exactly keeping track of pot size, was the hardest and calculating rough bet sizes was the hardest which actually took away from my thought time I usually assign to thinking through the hand. The experience was to learn which I did, and will work on everything I seen that day. Only frustrating to not have seen how my skills would compare against the player pool there. I was expecting around top 40/50 % on the day and given my good start for the first 40mins and I was playing ok poker to put me as clear table chip leader it's a little frustrating.

No worries ill come back much stronger and maybe can hope for a top 30% or even better finish next time. Top 10/15% would make the final for this particular event.

Organize a Home Poker Game