Should I enter a live Tourney after studying poker for 2 months?

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Hi, I've been studying pokercoaching.com videos the last 2 months and have pokercoaching.com premium the last month. I play almost 1 free roll tourney a day. So I would say I've been taking poker seriously for the past month is it too much to take a shot at the Irish poker open/ tours? Buy in 125 EU - 200 when all I have played is freerolls online.

The justification to play in 1 of these in my head is like ok some % is going for my actual confidence in my game and another or most of the buy in is going towards an investment into gaining live tourney exp. Is this a good idea ? Feel like maybe 1 tourney wouldn't hurt much, and all of these games are conveniently on in the next 1- 2 months.

Open to your thoughts/advice.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi,

I'm not a live poker player myself, but in general from freerolls to 125€ is a huge step.

If you can afford to lose that money as part of your hobby budget, then why not.

In general, I would recommend to get a bit more experience in online MTTs, at least with the micro stakes.

But that's just my opinion.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you are sure why not if you have money, of course go and try your hand at live poker, and maybe this is your structure and you will win even experienced players, but first of all, we would advise you to play online tournaments better and get used to it, so practicing in an online tournament before live tournaments will always be useful

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Live poker is not all about theoretical knowledge.

The biggest edge you can get is the ability to read people (and avoid giving off tells yourself).

Some people are born with this talent to a degree BUT the only way to get better at it is by experience and observation.

So if you want to be good at LIVE poker start practising it.

Just don't think one single tournament will give any answers (unless you hate it and you know it isn't for you).

As I have written many times the variance in MTTs is HUGE so regardless of the eventual result see it as one small part of your poker life.

But if you can afford it and you think you will enjoy it just go for it and analyze the experience afterwards.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
2 months is a very short time, to become a good player the process takes years. For greater evolution, study every day and play to put what you have learned into practice, because seeing the theory and not putting it into practice is useless. Regarding the live tournament, if it doesn't affect your financial health, gl.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
At what blinds you start your poker career is entirely up to you.
But it's important to be within your balance.
ALWAYS .

Regardless of your income , you need to set a bankroll. How much js of course up to you.

The golden rule would be 1% of your bankroll for every game . Me personally I think that 1% are maybe a bit old fashioned but yes it works the best this way 👍🏼

You just need the discipline and determination with a clear perspective of a self defined goal.

However If this is just a one time thing and you can afford it... Go for it :)
Gl and TID
Hi, I've been studying pokercoaching.com videos the last 2 months and have pokercoaching.com premium the last month. I play almost 1 free roll tourney a day. So I would say I've been taking poker seriously for the past month is it too much to take a shot at the Irish poker open/ tours? Buy in 125 EU - 200 when all I have played is freerolls online.

The justification to play in 1 of these in my head is like ok some % is going for my actual confidence in my game and another or most of the buy in is going towards an investment into gaining live tourney exp. Is this a good idea ? Feel like maybe 1 tourney wouldn't hurt much, and all of these games are conveniently on in the next 1- 2 months.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nothing prevents you from going to a poker house, if you want to know it is good, if you want to play start with the lowest value, just don't get addicted, a piece of advice, research, analyze before sitting down to play, there are many players who know the newbies, good luck, success in your visit

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely. You play with very little experience and you will learn a lot from the day. You will probably learn most about table etiquette, how to protect your cards, general betting and table dynamics. Easier to get a read on player weakness too I find when you are face to face in person. Don’t sweat doing well or trying to win the tournament outright. That is unlikely to happen. Use the experience as a learning curve. It will take a few live events for you to become comfortable at the baize.

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you have the money, go for it. It will be a learning experience for you. I was just watching a pokerstars broadcast of a previous EPT Barcelona and there was this guy in the money with absolutely no internet or live poker tournament experience, he only played homegames, i think he won 20000 euros. So yes go ahead and try the live tourny and enjoy the ride. Good luck ,hope you make a deep run.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know about the structure for the Irish Poker Open but find out what the house rake is . That may factor into your decision .If it is more than 10% i personally wouldn't enter .

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Thanks everyone for your advice, its helped me curb my excitement and i think i will cap myself to 1 live tourney exp maybe in a month or 2 where I can contine to learn, experiment online and practise. As you all said if i keep my expectations in check it should be a fun and good learning experience. After all maybe the live fun will be good motivation to continue learning and grinding online. I overall goal is to make money in the medium to long term but maybe some fun in a few months time will be a good boost towards that ultimate goal !

Thanks everyone!

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Don’t tell anyone at the table this is your first tournament or you will immediately be a target. Let them figure it out if they can. Try not to engage in talking to someone when you are in a hand. They are going to try and talk to you to find out your comfort level. Try to do everything the same way, put your chips in the same way, check the same way.

Playing live poker is awesome and I hope you have a good time! Remember it’s just a card game so always keep your emotions and ego in check. The best players will never tilt. If something bad happens you have to move past it fast. Never let your emotions get in the way of making the right decisions.

Good luck and welcome to live poker!

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First thing you need is confidence, so if you have ask us then you do not have it yet. When the feeling hits just play.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As long as your okay with losing that money, go for it. Where I live online poker for real money is not allowed, so I play live tourneys when I can. I have won two live tourney's, but still a losing player. I make sure not to risk any important money that I need and only when I have extra funds that I can afford to lose. Your first tourney may be uncomfortable, and hard to keep track of everything, but that's okay. If you go, enjoy the tourney.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Yes, baby! ( Maybe baby is too much 😀)

If you can afford it, play it - you going to see how it all works slowly then online tournaments...
Good luck (if you decide to play) and don't forget to have fun, enjoy the game! 😉

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hey! If is not too much sacrifice to you to get into the event, do it. I think that your experience doesn't tell too much yet.
Maybe you can start with smaller events before if you have the time.
Also, you can take it as a target next year.

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
A period of 2 months is a short time to gain more experience. I recommend that you still play low-stakes tournaments, and in 2-3 years try to play live. If you are not too big of a cash outlay you can try your abilities and skills now, you may find yourself in a live game.

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Great advice thanks
Don’t tell anyone at the table this is your first tournament or you will immediately be a target. Let them figure it out if they can. Try not to engage in talking to someone when you are in a hand. They are going to try and talk to you to find out your comfort level. Try to do everything the same way, put your chips in the same way, check the same way.

Playing live poker is awesome and I hope you have a good time! Remember it’s just a card game so always keep your emotions and ego in check. The best players will never tilt. If something bad happens you have to move past it fast. Never let your emotions get in the way of making the right decisions.

Good luck and welcome to live poker!

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
If any of you are familiar with Poker coaching.com, ive been studying his content, several hours a day, everyday the past 2 months, and playing about two games a day so the rate I'm improving is giving me a lot of confidence and excitement as Im sure you all understand. I also know a few leaks i have and places to improve and also so much i dont know i dont know. I will cap myself to an amt I can afford to lose and go to learn and have fun and put myself out there a bit. In the meanwhile ill keep studying, practising, and move on to micro stakes tournaments in the next few weeks.

KingKolev

KingKolev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Live poker is not all about theoretical knowledge.

The biggest edge you can get is the ability to read people (and avoid giving off tells yourself).

Some people are born with this talent to a degree BUT the only way to get better at it is by experience and observation.

So if you want to be good at LIVE poker start practising it.

Just don't think one single tournament will give any answers (unless you hate it and you know it isn't for you).

As I have written many times the variance in MTTs is HUGE so regardless of the eventual result see it as one small part of your poker life.

But if you can afford it and you think you will enjoy it just go for it and analyze the experience afterwards.
well put thanks

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

My question for you is what are your expectations in the live game? If you can afford to lose the buy in I would say, go for it. It's a great experience. If you are expecting to do well and cash or win you may be very disappointed. 2 months of study is good, and you should keep it up. I pretty much took off from playing for the most part 20 months to really work on my game. 10 to 20 hours a week of study averaging over 15 hours a week with some play added in if possible. What did I find after the 20 months? I still had so much more to learned and to be honest I study a lot before I took the time to really get into the learning of the game. If you do go into the live game i wish you great luck but I would advise going to play to learn is a very advisable and not look to win.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello. Two months is very little for learning, refrain from hints - if you can afford to spend this amount of money and it will be an investment, try it. Experience is a great thing, whether it's an online or live tournament - you have to start, and you might really get lucky or enjoy it. Good luck to you!

Organize a Home Poker Game