Listen or not listen to music on the table?

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always listen to calm music, it calms me down and helps to keep emotions in me.

Aleksmy

Aleksmy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not distracted, it is better not to. If the surrounding people interfere, then of course it is better to put on headphones and listen to music.

I

ImUrLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to choose the right music. If you are a grinder who rolls a bunch of tables for rakeback, then you need energetic music, it speeds up the speed of thinking, and if you roll a few tables, you need something calm, since fast thinking has a bad effect on the quality of decisions. Well, it’s better to skate without music, since almost any music reduces concentration, except for music, which on the contrary is specially created to improve it

I've never actually thought about it like this but it makes sense!

I'm only opening 3-4 tables max as a beginner, but I always start with 1-2 tables & some calm/classical music. If I feel like I'm playing ok, I will open a couple more tables & maybe throw on some rap/r&b/dance music. :D:cool:

I can't do anything without background music on, it motivates me. Never played live poker but it seems like live tells would have a big impact on win rate, so I'd probably have to leave the headphones behind.

Last edited:
Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listen. Also watch some streams.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. eat at the table of poker every relax me. I dont like to drink and listen anything. I loss my focus.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
many times we are playing live and the general noise of the room (cards, general nonsense conversations) can deconcentrate us, so sometimes it is good to put on the headphones and isolate ourselves from the world, but it leads us to lose valuable information that can provide us our rivals when they talk, why do you think? In general, is it better or not to listen to music during our sessions?:confused:

I've had experiences with both and for long slow sessions music can be helpful as it gives a lot of energy, it can keep you awake and in the game.

For best performance though I don't like to listen to music. Why? Because I like to hear everything that's going on at the table so I can pick up on the moods and emotional states of the opponents. What are they talking about, are they happy or complaining (because this carries over directly to how they will play).

In places like the RIO during wsop where there is a ton of extra noise I actually like to wear ear plugs. That way I tune out all the background noise but can still hear everything that's going on at my table, which is what matters.

Definitely a pro tip that's helped me a lot over the years!

M

MyPokerCoaching

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that playing without music and concentrating on what's going on the table will be the better option for most.

While music can help you relax (or have better time??), you will surely miss some information or even chance to interact with other players, so I vote for NO MUSIC.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music keeps me calm and helps me think. So yes music please!

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, it is very good to listen to music, I am more relaxed and more noticeable to other players that live, no longer online the music is to relax even though you cannot watch other players.
Music is life, music is love

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would find it difficult to listen to music whilst playing live. I think it's easy to play out of turn or miss out what the bet is when it is announced. I could be wrong but hearing what is going on at the table is the way I like to play.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Music is distracting and can create unnecessary tempo for your playing. But if you are annoyed by the conversations of people and the noise around, then it is better to listen to music. You can alternate. :rolleyes:

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Music I vote music- salmonella dub baby ! Kiwi music

P

Poeffy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I donot listen to music while playing.

19honu62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started streaming and use a Royalty free site that makes it easy to listen to a nice beat rather than hearing nothing.

M

mxylpic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only use ear buds not full noise cancelling headphones so it cuts down the background noise but I still hear a lot of what is going on at the table.

G

GrannySmit77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least in live poker you might be card dead for longer stretches of time and get bored and get tilted.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. "Stick Figure" and keep on winning!

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always listen to music while playing. Some tournaments are long and boring, and the music allows me to concentrate.

GabaGabaHey

GabaGabaHey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen to BACH. The mathematical precision will stimulate your brain into making only the perfect decisions.
You will win every game.
You will take your winnings and invest them in stocks that only go up.
You will marry the perfect spouse.
You will have smart, talented, perfect children.

I listen to THE RAMONES.
My life is the exact opposite of the above, my ear drums are busted and I'm pretty sure I'm brain damaged, but I don't care.
Gaba Gaba Hey!!! :rock::thrasher:

C

coolbrees 9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it helps to stay patient, other times it can be a distraction and u can make mistakes.

ComfyPanda

ComfyPanda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I'd listen to music if I played live, at least not for quite a while until I got used to it. But online sure, some background music helps keep me focused, and an upbeat playlist helps with my mood as I play.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I think it all depends on the person, everyone finds what is best for him, the best option

M

masa11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many times we are playing live and the general noise of the room (cards, general nonsense conversations) can deconcentrate us, so sometimes it is good to put on the headphones and isolate ourselves from the world, but it leads us to lose valuable information that can provide us our rivals when they talk, why do you think? In general, is it better or not to listen to music during our sessions?:confused:

And what to decide, do as it is convenient for you and as you like, you either come to win or play for your pleasure, if something distracts you, do it so that it does not distract, find a way.