E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I am curious about how to identify calling stations by paying attention to how often these players call on the flop?
What percentage of calls does an average calling station make instead of folding? Is there a general range of calls as well?

What about a tight player, like a rock?

I am just curious, I just want quick answer in general.

I could do some math, but it would be a complicated stats problem to do :)

And, I will do the math at some later date, but I am working on other projects meanwhile, but I will give you guys the answer here later!
Thanks!

Last edited:
BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill let someone come and point out what those are but I would add that its not just the frequency but what they play and when they play it that matters.

The more you know/learn about the games then you can identify what people are doing and if whatever they're doing makes sense.

Like if the table is passive and you're giving someone really goods odds to call or its raised and a lot of the table calls a hand then you can justify playing certain hands in certain games especially the hi/lo or omaha games under the right circumstances.

I wouldn't label them a calling station.

To get that title they would have show me they don't have any clue what a starting hand is or reading a flop and they chase with bad odds or at least really improbably odds when they don't need to or it just doesnt make sense.

The same with the aggressive donk raising every hand with trash that doesnt make sense, the rock or whatever label you want to use.

So you have to see what they're doing and if it makes any type of sense.

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m also referring to a passive player by the way who never raises… I am playing 1/2$ no limit

Last edited:
E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry I forgot to mention that these players either play loose or average preflop as well…
I came to an understanding that just because they are loose preflop does not mean that they are an after the flop calling station. These loose preflop players can have a clue or a brain; a normal player that is not a calling station can simply just play to many cards preflop…

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Calling stations by definition call pre flop, on the flop, turn and river 100% no matter what your bet or what’s on the board. You will never be able to bluff these people. They do this because they want to see a flop. When they get any piece of the flop they are going to hang around. The rocks will only stick around with the goods.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
danny's right. A calling station is a player who won't fold once they connect with a flop. These are the players you don't want to fold, either. You just keep betting and let them give you stacks of chips. But this only works if you have something. You can't bluff these players.

An ATC (any two cards) players are the ones who will pay just about any pre-flop raise to see a flop, but will fold if they don't hit the flop. These players can be dangerous. In a recent $1-$3 session, I had AA in the BB and it limped to me with 4 players. I bumped it to $30 because I wanted to get the field down, and I'm sure all four players would have called if I had done the standard table raise of $10-$15. Sure enough, one guy called. The flop came J-4-4 rainbow, and he went all in. I called, thinking, no way he's got a 4. Sure enough, he turns over 6-4 offsuit. I couldn't believe he had called a $30 bet with 6-4, but this is a guy who had busted and rebought 3 times already, so I should have known.