A

asauceda1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain: A of Spade A of Heart 125k stack
Me : 9 10 ♣ (clubs) 115k stack

8th place was about 190 dollars. 1rst got around 900.

23 players left with a average stack of around 75k

Blinds: We play a variant where big blind post a double blind which is 5k 5k for a total of 10k

Small Blind posts a 2500 blind

I'm on the big blind. My opponent is under the gun with 6 people on the table.

Opponent limps with aces but I had a live read that he was wanting to raise. He looked directly at his chips and started counting out some chips before deciding to limp.
This was no act I could tell he wanted to raise with certainty but decided to limp. I've seen people limp Aces deep in tournaments before but I do not know if this is correct? I had
been at that table for maybe a total of 6 hands so I don't know if one of the guys were being aggressive which could have justified his limp.

Small blind folds Me and the utg player go heads up

Flop comes Queen 8 3♣ Giving me a flush draw with a gut-shot straight

UTG starts counting out 15k and puts them in the pot

I think for a bit about what he could have them give him a quick stare down. He immediately looks away when we make eye contact which made me think he was weak then after a few seconds stares back at me
into my eyes for a good 7 seconds. but just felt my hand was to good and for some reason I jammed.
He calls quickly showing the aces I know I have probably had a 50 50 shot at winning if he had decided to call but figured it was profitable to jam on him and take the pot
because I had fold equity. I now realize I should have probably played this differently. I think I should have probably just called the 15k raise then jammed the turn when he bet which I knew would most likely happen and then scope up a big bot some of the time from a fold.

Turn comes 6 of diamond giving me a opened ended straight draw on top of the flush everyone at the table starts going crazy talking about all my outs then a brick hits and I'm eliminated I tell everyone good luck and my opponent nice hand (he replies thanks) another guy starts telling him about how he missed all kinds of outs then I leave 80 dollars down :(

How could I have played this differently?
I feel so dumb because I blew my big stack tonight when I probably could have played this differently and cashed.
Someone please give me some advice on how to play this. Thanks guys - Alex​

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well. your first read on the guy was bang on. You said you were certain your read was correct. When he leads out on the flop you know for sure you are dominated at that point. The size of his bet should have simply confirmed your initial read...he was betting from strength. So the questions is why shove? The key for me is when you said "for some reason I jammed". That sounds like an emotional decision with no reasoning to back it up. You asked how to play the hand differently. Based on your initial read and his big bet you knew he was going to most likely keep betting each street so after calling the flop bet you were most likely facing 2 more bets. You were in the classic "play from behind" situation leaking money while you chased a straight. Add in the money getting close and the fact you had an above average stack the only conclusion is you should have folded after the flop.

A

asauceda1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wasn't a straight draw jam. It was a gutshot straight draw with a flush draw on top of that giving me a 50 50 chance to win if he called the jam

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably just flat the flop and fold unimproved to a larger bet on the turn - they gave you decent odds and your read is they are strong and will pay off if you get there.

I think a raise is better with no read, but nobody folds live and jamming screams 'draw' to many people.

No need to worry about missing out on a min-cash, passing up good spots to double your money is not a winning strategy. Top 3 is where the money is, so put yourself in position and take advantage when things go your way.

Good luck! :D

Full Flush Poker