jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm looking for some advice. I won a seat in a big live tournament and it will be with BB ante. Does some of you have experience with this format? Do you change your strategy?

I play online and never played an online tournament with this format. Thank you!

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Good luck in the game. Online there is no need, its mostly this format Live to speed up the game, otherwise the dealer would be constantly reminding everyone to get their antes in, plus players wouldn't have enough chips. It would be hard work!!

You don't really have to change your strategy I don't think, as opposed to any online tourney where the antes add up to roughly 1bb.

Its more about paying attention to it, being aware that OK right now you have 13bbs, but this will be 11bbs in a few hands. Especially when the blinds maybe go up soon, you can go from short stack to very very short incredibly quickly!!

Maybe players defend their BB more as they feel like its more of their own chips, but I haven't noticed this particularly when I play live.

Where I play often the level starts at 100/100/100 which can be confusing if you've not played live before, as BB,SB, BB ante are all the same for that level.

One final thing is sometimes on a short handed table, maybe 5 players, the rule could be for half antes!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When I played my 1st Big blind ante event, I thought I would hate it but i quickly realized it's a great thing. I really does not change the game so much but makes it quicker and smother.

Advise, Some BB will defend a bit more as they put in the ante in the hand so don't be to surprise if some people call more. Once nice advantage is when you become short your stack wont go down as fast until you get to the BB. This can allow you to wait a bit linger to get all your chips in the middle. The one negative is when tables become shorter. That BB double ante come around fast if you don't keep aware.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB ante doesn’t change much in tournament play early on. - unless the table is short several players.

The only thing that changes really is when you have a short table - inflates pot odds a bit compared to a traditional ante.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your "M" rate is virtually the same except now when you convert your chips into BB's it's doubled, literally. If you're sitting on a stack of 80K and the blinds are 400/800/800, instead of having 100 bb's you now have 50, imo, since you're putting in 1600 for the BB to be "dealer-correct". Here in TX the rule is when the tourney winds down to 4 players the BB ante is cut in half, so, for example, you're looking at 20,000/40,000/20,000. When it gets to heads-up the ante is removed. This is all mainly for the dealer's benefit as well as moving the trny along a little faster.
AS far as a different strategy is concerned I'd just play my game the same. GL.