64 suited in a live game

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Watched the Phil Ivey masterclass and he talks about 64 suited being a hard hand to dominate, I have had really great results/luck with it. It is naturally a throw away hand for most ranges,…

What position/blinds/stacks would you play 64 suited live? And no, internet poker is a whole other game, so this is a specific question for live (tournament) play. Thanks y'all

Last edited:
Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Being a button, if I only have to pay the blinds it's a good hand, you change it with color or ladder. But if someone goes up from the beginning I don't recommend it, since it's not a premium hand.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a button, if I only have to pay the blinds it's a good hand, you change it with color or ladder. But if someone goes up from the beginning I don't recommend it, since it's not a premium hand.
What price would you pay to see a flop with it? Or just muck to a raise?

And for sure I would only play at button, maybe cutoff…depending on how I read the table lol

That hand is definitely getting out of line, but it just works so far lol, perhaps luck? I’m Not so sure.

Last edited:
Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are BB and there was only a 2BB raise, and there is no one else between you and the raiser, it might be worth spending the extra BB to see what happens

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Always defending BB with this hand, and opening BU,SB and sometime CO

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the limits / blinds . if it is a low buy in cash game for fun i will play it from pretty much most positions

if it is more serious and higher limit . only late position and defending BB . but it depends on the table . if you have maniacs left and right then yes only late and BB but if you have passive players you can widen it

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol, don't try to be Phil Ivey or anyone else, be yourself. Most folks don't have the skill to play that and most will not have the skill to recognize who they can and cannot play that against at a table and even if you can recognize all that they still might take a hand too far and lose way more then they should on a trash hand. Then you have the ones that get off on playing those hands and get a feeling of getting away with it instead of understanding when and who you can do it to so also they lack discipline.

Work with what you have and build on that. Stay away from the hands most pros lose money with. Master the hands you should be turning a profit with before going after hands like 6 trash. And you have to know what hands and from what position are profitable before even trying this anyway.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most of what you say, but after 20+ tournaments I know now how to get better board coverage at opportune times, and sure enough, I tripled up with 64s last tournament. :)

You have to study the players, the stacks and the level of the tournament all at the same time, and the board needs to fit just right. :)

Playing straightforwardly only gets me ITM at best, which isn’t my goal anymore, I am focused on winning or going home, and I’m done doing deals unless it’s heads-up , I may then consider it depending on stacks (but even if you do, it’s annoying to think about getting that far and not just seeing if you win the whole thing lol). It’s not an ego thing with me, it’s just about time vs money playing. Making a deal with 4 or 5 players just isn’t worth the time and money to me anymore, not for recreational games at least. BTW all of the recreational tournaments have all had deals offered at around 6 at FT…to me it’s just not worth it anymore…

I don’t advise anyone playing that way, it’s just how I play tournaments now.

Last edited:
GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6-4 suited is a reasonable hand to play. You never know until the flop is layed out. Suited connectors are fun to play.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Watched the Phil Ivey masterclass and he talks about 64 suited being a hard hand to dominate, I have had really great results/luck with it. It is naturally a throw away hand for most ranges,…

What position/blinds/stacks would you play 64 suited live? And no, internet poker is a whole other game, so this is a specific question for live (tournament) play. Thanks y'all

The reasson Phil says that it is that mostt players who aaree raisiing are less liikly to have a 4 or the 6. The problem with 46s is it is a borderline playable hand. It has tons of possibilitys and if your smart to not lose to much on the questionable flops I can see the value of playing the hand.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say you can fit this hand in almost any position. If you are good at postflop play and putting people on ranges you can usually check raise oop and get an AK to fold on a dry flop. You just have to know that you can't always be acting like its a premium hand post flop because you will get caught by a sneaky player that flats you with 99s+.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say you can fit this hand in almost any position. If you are good at postflop play and putting people on ranges you can usually check raise oop and get an AK to fold on a dry flop. You just have to know that you can't always be acting like it’s a premium hand post flop because you will get caught by a sneaky player that flats you with 99s+.
Oh for sure l, I in no way see it as a premium hand, just one you can really fly under the radar with at opportune times that can really catch players off guard :)

I would never be able to use this hand online the way I could in a live game, which is why I like talking about this hand in a live (recreational, at least for me currently) tournament setting.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games