Are you still learning ? After how long ??

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played poker games more or less the last 10-15 years. About a year ago I started playing more seriously and started with freerolls/small cash games. When I started I thought I was a pretty good player, but now it has become clear that I just knew some basic things about poker. I have learned so much and become a way better player during this last year.

I could say now again that I am "a pretty good" player, but after one more year I most likely will find out that I was just an amateur who thought to know how to play poker. As mentioned above, you can never learn it all and be perfect.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I been playing for 13 years but only in the past year have I started to learn the game with the help of the experienced players here. It took me 6 months just to control my tilting. and sometimes it pops back up, but I quickly let it go. Tilt can cost you every thing you have on a poker site. Right now I'm working on position and range. I've started trying some different thing. It don't always work but it does more times than not. Every hand I catch, I first think how many hands can beat me. Most of the time it's a lot. Then I think about my position and what I can do from there. Then I think about if I want to risk my money to call in that position when the pot may get raised. That is one thing I do a lot. If I call, I want a hand I can stand a raise with. I know I.m going on and on, but this stuff is important to every player. There are many more things I need to learn, and I will but I can't learn all at once. GL to you. Ask your questions and these guys/gals will glad to help as they have me

R

Ray Sliva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I continue to learn every time I sit down at a table, not only about the game but also about myself. The evolution of both are rewarding. Good luck at the tables sir.--r

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep on playing and learning ,too. for 5 years.

art595

art595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a 5 year but every day I learn, read book and see VOD

M

miley17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just...it takes a really much time to know how to play poker like a pro..Still...u cant know everything..

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have about a year playing and I don't think I will ever stop learning this beautiful game.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is easy to learn and play,but may take a lifetime to master.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep on playing and learning ,too. for 3 years.

STL FAN

STL FAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Work ethic, the brain, these two terms comes to mind because learning is such a broad term. The brain, it is unnatural for the brain to learn poker because inserting logic does not always work, much about what makes a player better is the unnatural moments in poker when it is opposite for the brain to interpret in places where decisions do not make sense, pressure of situations, results of what you thought and what actually is will drive tilt, and what is learned could be lost in a black hole of thought.

Understanding and acceptance helps the brain to relax, learn, be more consistent because the brain is not utilizing the mental muscle of worrying about these situations and is now freed up to learn new things. People fail in poker because of not understanding the beginning, the root of the situation, the brain is the beginning, the root of all situations, from these experiences we allow our brain to plant seeds of doubt, mistakes, monsters under the bed, come from this beginning. As well as the obvious good from learning, improving their game, and when the player improves their decision making skills.

The brain only interprets results that have happened most recently; if it is bad results then can the player interpret the right decision amongst bad results to change the outcome of bad results? What I have learned through observation, it is not done consistently among players I watch every day, because the brain tracks our decisions in situations where we fold, can not interpret the situation properly, even when the player is holding hands they find valuable.

All things that require decisions to be made that put the brain in distress, because we do not have any experience to make a competent decision that would change an outcome that would be different than folding,making mistakes, and give the player a new way to win chips they were not entitled to win. To improve the brain has to filter information to make a decision. Ability comes from the brains interpretation of all information that is learned to the point of unconscious competence, even the mistakes that are made repeatedly, and have not been recognized as mistakes to be fixed as of yet. Mistakes that are not recognized and made repeatedly to the point of unconscious incompetence that are not recognizable to the player because they do not recognize a mistake is being made as the situation plays out each time. This last part is how the person who has the ability to learn this about themselves, fix these mistakes, or recognize the mistakes made by another in this area will now have an advantage.

If the brain is not put into these spots to gather new information, if the person does not understand the routine of folding, or any other example I could give that would be a mistake; then how would the person know what to learn if they believe what they are doing is not a mistake in their own eyes in the first place? However, it is a mistake in another poker players eyes from observation every day? What would drive them to explore other parts of their game that are not obvious from reading poker books or talking to other people of respect? Most do not venture into parts of poker that would result the person into feeling shame, failing, being wrong, ponder how great they think they are, what actually people think about them, or what they eventually find about themselves. Coming to terms with that last sentence separates good, bad, great players? Subjective question?

Work ethic, at some point to strive to be better, a person will have to go through all of what would be self-evaluation of the poker player; acceptance of who each person is will let them learn, coming to grips and admitting to themselves that shame, being wrong, failing, making mistakes, honesty about how bad in areas each of us are where chips matter, making losing hands win, winning hands pay, and recognizing which areas that need improvement that before were not considered mistakes in a person’s game now are clear to the brain as an example.

At the table is a person willing to pull down their pants, stick out their tongue to the whole table on a read, and are willing to absorb the consequences, even if the table could possibly ridicule, feel shame of a wrong decision. Especially if they are still at the table and not knocked out if they are wrong? Can the person now continue to play and gather chips they lost based on ability, and not waiting to getting dealt AA to replace the lost chips as an example? Or does the emotion of the situation, does their own ability get locked down by how the brain shuts down from negative emotion? Can a player be comfortable to repeat this to learn more about themselves and their game throughout their career? Or are the results more important than learning? Crossroads of what could be most important? Subjective?

Learning is subjective in poker because poker is broad and abstract. To gain levels, to gain against opponents, I believe work ethic, the brain, drive of competition are important terms for me to learn more about myself, my game, shame, failing, being wrong, making mistakes is part of who I am as a poker player. The desire to fix myself, to understand how the brain works for each person in a moment of weakness including myself is the drive I need to continue to learn.

Because just the need of learning is not enough for me to separate myself from the competition on a consistent basis throughout my poker career; out working my opponent at or away from the table that has more ability than I, being different, looking for areas of the game that others would not give a glance towards. Work ethic, to find how the brain interprets information, learn what is not taught, embracing all of poker keeps the game fun for me to continue to learn.

I was playing for two years before black Friday but started learning since this time; but just in the last 6 months, I cut back on how much I play each day. I was playing and learning away from the table 5-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day because of the vastness of what I needed to learn about an abstract game. I now play and learn every day, with more focus on breaking my sessions into two separate sessions around four hours per session, evaluating, grading my sessions, and concentrating on sit-n-go’s; as I get ready to graduate college next year, I am forming my plans that involve poker and the reality of having to have or job or not? Still have more learning to understand this part of the poker reality, and more learning about the “self”, evaluation of the “self” before any concrete decision can be made or written down in print. Subjective?

Reality, learning might have been just staring into the “Abyss” with no realistic chance of making a career of poker, but I have the ability to either use my degree or go back to installing windshields that I have done my whole life, and I can accept this reality as well. I did learn new things about me, I am having wonderful journey, learned a great challenging game in the process, the fun of the journey was the best experience, and this helps to keep learning fun in all aspects of life, poker.

Last edited:
A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you never stop learning poker as you play
even after 3-5 years. You gotta have a solid base, and then find out current tendecies in poker
read more articles, post hands etc.
TOP players will never stay on TOP if they stop their progress. learn learn learn

Al Spath

Al Spath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tosh, you seem genuinely authentic. Contact me and I will provide you a FREE session, one on one with me on twitchtv. I will record it and provide you a copy so you can go over what we cover.

Having taught at Poker School Online and as Dean of the School there, I have worked with 1000's over the years and frankly, if you have learned a bit on your own, it's not hard to spot the leaks or holes in your game and turn it around in short order.

Deal?

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are a good player you will never stop learning because player strategy is always evolving if you don't keep learning counters you will be left behind.

S

scanter0999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm

if that were true we keep learning...how confident are we once we hit that pinncale?

So the question is.... Do do you guys have any suggestions for somewhat new books about general strategy (particularly cash games) that reflect the current environment we're playing in these days

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)
OK Just to clarify the Question... Do you feel like you are still learning and improving ?

I have been playing for 7 months... I know I still have a lot to learn, but I do feel like yeah ! I am slowly improving...

The 'After how long' bit refers to how long you have been playing and if you still feel after a long time of playing you still are improving or you are more or less static and have found your own level and any further improvement is questionable/marginal...

In the first few months it was a steep learning curve and I went from being quite bad to average over the first few months....

Next stage was to appreciate the importance of table position and understand hand strengths and try to read opponents and exploit etc and I feel now that I have 'Instinct' at times. When I first started I was playing in an analytical/mathematical fashion... but now I sometimes just have a 'feel' of what opponents have rather than reacting entirely on flops and bet sizes etc...

But anyway, yes 7 months in and I know I am playing better and smarter and was just wondering if there's a people out there who have been playing much longer and are still learning... improving !

I know you never really stop learning in life with regards to everything, but I'd say the Elite players on TV are not really learning or improving anymore... If they are it's very marginal
After 6 years still have to learn a lot:)

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Work ethic, the brain, these two terms comes to mind because learning is such a broad term. The brain, it is unnatural for the brain to learn poker because inserting logic does not always work, much about what makes a player better is the unnatural moments in poker when it is opposite for the brain to interpret in places where decisions do not make sense, pressure of situations, results of what you thought and what actually is will drive tilt, and what is learned could be lost in a black hole of thought.

Understanding and acceptance helps the brain to relax, learn, be more consistent because the brain is not utilizing the mental muscle of worrying about these situations and is now freed up to learn new things. People fail in poker because of not understanding the beginning, the root of the situation, the brain is the beginning, the root of all situations, from these experiences we allow our brain to plant seeds of doubt, mistakes, monsters under the bed, come from this beginning. As well as the obvious good from learning, improving their game, and when the player improves their decision making skills.

The brain only interprets results that have happened most recently; if it is bad results then can the player interpret the right decision amongst bad results to change the outcome of bad results? What I have learned through observation, it is not done consistently among players I watch every day, because the brain tracks our decisions in situations where we fold, can not interpret the situation properly, even when the player is holding hands they find valuable.

All things that require decisions to be made that put the brain in distress, because we do not have any experience to make a competent decision that would change an outcome that would be different than folding,making mistakes, and give the player a new way to win chips they were not entitled to win. To improve the brain has to filter information to make a decision. Ability comes from the brains interpretation of all information that is learned to the point of unconscious competence, even the mistakes that are made repeatedly, and have not been recognized as mistakes to be fixed as of yet. Mistakes that are not recognized and made repeatedly to the point of unconscious incompetence that are not recognizable to the player because they do not recognize a mistake is being made as the situation plays out each time. This last part is how the person who has the ability to learn this about themselves, fix these mistakes, or recognize the mistakes made by another in this area will now have an advantage.

If the brain is not put into these spots to gather new information, if the person does not understand the routine of folding, or any other example I could give that would be a mistake; then how would the person know what to learn if they believe what they are doing is not a mistake in their own eyes in the first place? However, it is a mistake in another poker players eyes from observation every day? What would drive them to explore other parts of their game that are not obvious from reading poker books or talking to other people of respect? Most do not venture into parts of poker that would result the person into feeling shame, failing, being wrong, ponder how great they think they are, what actually people think about them, or what they eventually find about themselves. Coming to terms with that last sentence separates good, bad, great players? Subjective question?

Work ethic, at some point to strive to be better, a person will have to go through all of what would be self-evaluation of the poker player; acceptance of who each person is will let them learn, coming to grips and admitting to themselves that shame, being wrong, failing, making mistakes, honesty about how bad in areas each of us are where chips matter, making losing hands win, winning hands pay, and recognizing which areas that need improvement that before were not considered mistakes in a person’s game now are clear to the brain as an example.

At the table is a person willing to pull down their pants, stick out their tongue to the whole table on a read, and are willing to absorb the consequences, even if the table could possibly ridicule, feel shame of a wrong decision. Especially if they are still at the table and not knocked out if they are wrong? Can the person now continue to play and gather chips they lost based on ability, and not waiting to getting dealt AA to replace the lost chips as an example? Or does the emotion of the situation, does their own ability get locked down by how the brain shuts down from negative emotion? Can a player be comfortable to repeat this to learn more about themselves and their game throughout their career? Or are the results more important than learning? Crossroads of what could be most important? Subjective?

Learning is subjective in poker because poker is broad and abstract. To gain levels, to gain against opponents, I believe work ethic, the brain, drive of competition are important terms for me to learn more about myself, my game, shame, failing, being wrong, making mistakes is part of who I am as a poker player. The desire to fix myself, to understand how the brain works for each person in a moment of weakness including myself is the drive I need to continue to learn.

Because just the need of learning is not enough for me to separate myself from the competition on a consistent basis throughout my poker career; out working my opponent at or away from the table that has more ability than I, being different, looking for areas of the game that others would not give a glance towards. Work ethic, to find how the brain interprets information, learn what is not taught, embracing all of poker keeps the game fun for me to continue to learn.

I was playing for two years before black Friday but started learning since this time; but just in the last 6 months, I cut back on how much I play each day. I was playing and learning away from the table 5-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day because of the vastness of what I needed to learn about an abstract game. I now play and learn every day, with more focus on breaking my sessions into two separate sessions around four hours per session, evaluating, grading my sessions, and concentrating on sit-n-go’s; as I get ready to graduate college next year, I am forming my plans that involve poker and the reality of having to have or job or not? Still have more learning to understand this part of the poker reality, and more learning about the “self”, evaluation of the “self” before any concrete decision can be made or written down in print. Subjective?

Reality, learning might have been just staring into the “Abyss” with no realistic chance of making a career of poker, but I have the ability to either use my degree or go back to installing windshields that I have done my whole life, and I can accept this reality as well. I did learn new things about me, I am having wonderful journey, learned a great challenging game in the process, the fun of the journey was the best experience, and this helps to keep learning fun in all aspects of life, poker.

Wow!!! You should have a poker blog! Very interesting point of view of the game! Congrats!!!

arborest

arborest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played about 3 years and to be honest with you guys.. Im still a beginner. I feel like I have still a lot of things to learn. I think even professioanl players have always something to learn and thats why poker is so special.