Can you still learn poker at older age ?

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Sure my friend ..... poker is a game in which every day you have to be improving, every time the players are better, for that reason you have to keep studying and improving. No matter how old you are, you will always learn something new in this wonderful game ...!

T

tramal1965

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm approaching retirement and I'm looking for a new hobby. So started from zero couple weeks ago in learning pokerskills. I'm curious if it's still possible to learn the game.
Any comments ?
Never is too late!!! Go on!!!

john harris

john harris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am old lol and you can learn as much as you want. I found that learning the rules and hands was simple but learning about other players and how they play only comes from lots of time spent playing.

Congrats on your retirement and as others have suggested I would start out with play money at first.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure! I think that poker is great to train your mind at all ages. Basic rules are not difficult to learn, just start playing and enjoy the way of improving you game skills knowing more and more new tricks. Good luck!

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even after acquiring a good foundation still have a long way to go in Poker strategies, so yes. (even more now that they are creating other variants)

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its never too late to learn. No matter how old you get. There have been countless studies showing how exercising your mind is just as important as exercising your body.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
By retirement do you mean you are 23 years old and sold your latest cellphone App to Apple for millions and are looking for places (read play) to spend your money?

Or...are you pushing 70, wear a cardigan and find it challenging to stay up past 10 pm?

Or...are you 60ish and considering supplementing your income (without working at McDonalds or Walmart) by taking down a few hundred thousand playing some tournaments??

If you are in any of the above categories I think you can find a place and time to play some poker. :driver:

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, poker is a sport where the skills are 95% mental and 5% physical, therefore age will never be a limitation to practice it, I wish you success in this activity

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm approaching retirement and I'm looking for a new hobby. So started from zero couple weeks ago in learning pokerskills. I'm curious if it's still possible to learn the game.
Any comments ?

:D:D:D Hello! How nice that there are people of retirement age in this forum! I have been learning and testing my poker skills for over a year now. There are small victories! It's never too late to start something from scratch at any age! I'm already retired, a lot of free time. Only now there is an opportunity to try everything new and interesting for me! Good luck!

GGrinder

GGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
age is not a factor in my opinion.just study and try to get better

best of luck

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My suggestion would be fullfill the requirements for the freeroll club. There are freerolls 7 days a week. While fullfilling requirements go join pokerstars school. They have courses from very beginning poker player to intermediate. You can play free there in the school pass games and might win in the league games. I won T$100 there in April. Then once youre in the freeroll club you can play 7 days a week for free and have a chance to build a nice bankroll to play as you advance. Youll have 2 good sites full of information to improve your game and many good chances to win money for free. Enjoy your retirement and enjoy learning a great game.

T

tscheniizu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any comments ?

I don't see any reasons why you shouldn't be able to learn it. Some people start university studies in the old age - so, why not?

Would see the advantage that you can spend much more time than others and concentrate on Poker. :)

J

Jedimindtryx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any comments ?
yes u can learn it will take work to get good at it and studying and a coach to get great at it but its def doable

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never too old for poker. Just takes patience!!!

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OLD ???
i play daily keeps me home with the wife and im enjoying it.
your never to old to learn or play poker my friend

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it is still possible. Depending on your cognitive abilities you will have a more or less difficult time compared to other people. But as long as you are capable of comprehending information, you can eventually learn poker. The bigger question is whether the time that it will take you is worth the effort. Are you willing to learn poker, is the question that will eventually be answered. No worries either way, this is a time for exploration and understanding what you will enjoy. Congratulations on your retirement!

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is possible to learn the game. The rules are very intuitive and have a lot to do with what we've seen throughout life, how to manage your money, where to invest and in what situations to invest. It is also necessary to understand that things do not always go as planned, I think poker is very much like real life.

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning is never too late, and even with a lot of free time, even more so. And there is nothing complicated in learning poker, everything is quite simple.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ye ofcourse it's possible the basics can be picked up relatively quickly and it's never to late for learning new things.Just start by learning about basic preflop ranges and also how important position is in the game of poker and youll be on your way.Perhaps also look into joining the forums poker league as well which is a good way to play weekly competitive poker in a team format.And playing vs a mixture of player skill levels free of charge and in a friendly inviroment. You can read all about the forums league here and how to become eligible for it.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-league-43/all-about-cardschat-league-faq-268433/

Last edited:
L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The knowledge never stops! Poker is changing by days, so new plays and counters can be learned from any player. This time, the most famous version of poker is No limit texas holdem, but above years there are changes, so you have to be ready to play every type of Poker!

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...I'm looking for a new hobby...

human nature is to look for something new. poker developes mind skills in addition to be a fascinatingly hobby. as in any hobby, beginner(age does not matter) will need desire and time to learn basics on the way of mastering this hobby

congrats with choosing a new hobby, gl and fh! :)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i started to "learn" poker about 10 years ago, in my 40's. I now cash about 20% of the live tournaments i play in and about 33% of the online tourneys i play.

I am not a pro, but i enjoy the game and can hold my own most of the time. I am now retired myself and certainly enjoy the game.

As "old" guys, we may have a different perspectives than some of the "young" guys. It doesn't make it better or worse, just different. Our life experiences may tend to make us more conservative players, but if you study the game and all its aspects, you can still have some success. Maybe not wsop bracelet success, but enough success to make it enjoyable.

Good luck to you.