Can/Did you improve in poker without using learning tools?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I really asked myself this question multiple times when I started playing poker because I didn't have much money to spend on poker lessons and really wanted to become better at poker, and all I see nowadays on twitch and other platforms is buy this course or watch this video to improve and many advertisements.. I mean sure with years passing and poker is evolving its way of play and many studies into poker can help.. but cant you just play without someone coaching you or watching lessons.. I mean that's how the game was going ages ago.. no?

I started this thread just to know if buying bundles or getting coached by a pro these years do really add something to players, or just continue by myself and hope to become better and better from my mistakes because until now I think they are the best teacher for me (I'm kind of in a stable situation in poker).

I would suggest it depends upon where your current level of skill is at.
ie. hiring a coach is something I wouldn't consider doing unless I'd first gone with a bunch of other options & methods.

Years ago there were many people still studying the game.... it was just done differently (not the same number of avenues available back then). Prior to 2010 it was popular for 'winning players' to belong to Training Sites, Forums & groups of other players to learn from each other. Prior to 2010 I purchased many books & studied regulary. It helped my play immensely. These days I don't do nearly enough studying & know that IF I really want to make a decent go of it (ie. IF I want to be a winning player... IF I hope to move up in buyin levels), I'll need to make some changes in this regard (ie. purchasing courses, studying my database, studying current day trends by regs., etc. etc.).

You get out what you put in.

Just simply putting in time on the tables isn't enough imo.
Why do professional athletes hire coaches? Wouldn't it be good enough if they just put in loads of time in whatever sport it is that they played?
'Perfect practice makes Perfect'

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Right now, for me, the best training tool is just continued experience and practice. However, I am looking forward to hearing what others say and maybe find something else to better my game.

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A person can always improve by using tools but it depends on what level you want to play at. If it’s just fun fun then I would say learning from other players at your table is okay. But if you want to play higher levels then definitely use the tools available to you

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In my experience at the beginning I didn't care much because I was playing for fun .. then I started to study and use tools and my game improved considerably so if it helps .. :D

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really asked myself this question multiple times when I started playing poker because I didn't have much money to spend on poker lessons and really wanted to become better at poker, and all I see nowadays on twitch and other platforms is buy this course or watch this video to improve and many advertisements.. I mean sure with years passing and poker is evolving its way of play and many studies into poker can help.. but cant you just play without someone coaching you or watching lessons.. I mean that's how the game was going ages ago.. no?

I started this thread just to know if buying bundles or getting coached by a pro these years do really add something to players, or just continue by myself and hope to become better and better from my mistakes because until now I think they are the best teacher for me (I'm kind of in a stable situation in poker).

Undoubtedly, having a professional guiding you will advance your knowledge.

But as you said, there are a lot of free materials on youtube for example, a lot of articles on forums. So the answer is yes, you will evolve, and if you don't have the money to spend on it right now, go for the free part until you can.

The internet is there for that.

GL.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that you can learn a lot withou buying softwares and premium courses, but if you really want to play the game and be profitable its a good call to spend some money on it. You can buy books, you cant watch a lot of games, you cant enter a forum (you already did). The most important thing its to spend your time learning it and there are someways where you'll spend less time than others and thats really great.