Did you ever fold AA??

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, many times. These are the most beloved cards, but we have to throw them away sometime.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over time, you become convinced that any card has the ability to lose. This is influenced by many factors that you are well aware of. That makes poker great; no card has an absolute win. Any beginner has a chance to beat the pro.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never folded when I was sitting with a pair of ACES , but ......... I certainly have lost more than my fair share of games when I have played with them.

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Many times.

Many times.:rolleyes::cool::smile:As long as I don't see the flop, for me it's two cards like any other.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it depends on what I’m increasing in the tournament, but if you don’t play AA, what are you waiting for?

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes several times never pre flop but several times on the river I always try to take the last card but several times the deck likes to preach a few times and we have to play consciously and we have to fold

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have folded them a few times but not many. I go to the end with AA, sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. I have lost to three 2s before.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Sure I have folded aces. When the flop is all one suit and against an all in , more so on the turn or rivere with 4 cards to a suit or an obvious straight. Also if someone call a big raise preflop and there is I high pair on board, I might fold to an all in bet, as there is an exellent chance he tripled up.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate to fold AA's but sometimes I don't have chioce.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have in a satellite a couple of times near or on the bubble were I have a big stack and am guaranteed a seat where calling could jeopardise that.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hate It Every Time It Happens, But It Does...

I know I have folded AA many times... typically after I tip-toed into the pot in early position (hoping to get a big-raise and an opportunity to re-raise, that did not happen) and received a threatening flop (all suited, pair on board, very possible straight, etc) followed by huge raise and my chipstack is good enough that it is not worth risking it.

Overall, I am satisfied with my AA win %. According to my intertops stats I have won 143 of 164 times I have had AA, so 87% winners, and I cannot complain about that, but I dug a little deeper into the stats by round and I was SHOCKED to see that I had lost 4 of 41 times I had AA, PRE-FLOP!

After my jaw hit the keyboard, and I thought about it for a bit, I realized it was likely due to the scenario where I am in a Double-Up Sit and Go, I have a comfortable chipstack (close 1st or 2nd) with vulnerable small stack(s) left and the other big stack launches vs them... no need for me to risk it and possibly get taken out or severely crippled by letting him crack my AAs, when a win is so close and highly likely.

Best of Luck At The Tables All,

CheezeWiz

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I folded them many times, most often after an unfavorable flop for me, but I also folded them pre-flop if I got them in the bubble period on satellites where all winners get the same ticket, so even the slightest risk is unnecessary.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes sometimes you have to fold those AA.
When you have a good stack into satellites

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have you ever folded with two Aces in your hand? This happened for me yesterday when I decided to enter the payout pool, but it turned out that I was lucky and I did it well because the guy played all-in, got a third nine and I would stay with Aces.It wasn't a freeroll ,but a guaranteed 1.500$ tournament

This is where what you are trying to get out of poker is really important.

If the situation you describe is a satellite in which everyone makes the money makes the same amount (IE qualify for a ticket to a bigger tournament), then yes, folding in this situation is absolutely the correct play.

However, folding AA pre-flop against 99 means that you are throwing away 80+% equity before you've even seen a flop. Of course, sometimes you will get outdrawn and go bust, but if you're folding in this situation you're giving yourself little chance of going really deep in a tournament.

Of course there are other situations where folding might make sense. Say you're on the bubble of the tournament and you only have 3 big blinds left and once the bubble bursts another 100 people have to bust before you make the next pay jump, then sure; limp into the cash by all means, because the chances of laddering up again are very small and you might as well take the min cash. Also, as you go very deep (you're on the final table) and out lasting one opponent can mean a significant jump in prize money, then it can be a good idea to not tangle with a big stack. Say you're on the final table and 9th place pays $50, while 8th pays $65. You have 15BB, another player has 3BB's and everyone else has 40+BB's. Do you really want to tangle with a big stack, when the small stack is almost guaranteed to bust in the next order and you'll get a 30% pay jump? This is called ICM and I am by no means an expert, but it is definitely something worth considering.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, of course, when I have strong reasons to suspect my rockets is not the best hand.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It hurts, but sometimes it's obvious.
But it hurts more not to do it and get kicked out.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never fold AA, as the saying goes It is difficult to imagine such a situation. I don’t remember throwing AA, but I can imagine getting into a situation like that. If I really need the paying position and risk losing it, I throw it smoothly!

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
After the flop yes, many times, but never before !!!:cool::)

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop never post flop yes with a four card flush on the board and the other player went all in for 100 BB's.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you mean preflop, and yes I have folded AA preflop. But only in satellite tournaments, when I was sure, that folding every hand from now on would result in me winning a ticket. In your situation you made a bad decision but got lucky, it turned out to be profitable. This is no different from calling an all-in with 32o and flopping a straight or full house. The fact, the board ran out a particular way, does not make the decision good.

H

Hebens

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, because I felt the other player had a flush, so I folded. One of the players called all-in and the player had a flush, so I was lucky.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop: never! Post-flop: occasionally.. especially if there is a very scary board.

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree. You can never fold AA pre flop. EXCEPT: As mentioned above, your at the last few tables and the SMALL goes all in preflop and the MAJOR calls/or raises/goes all in preflop. At that point....do NOT take the risk and blow a ICM (Independent Chip Model) entire poker final games/hands. Skip that....fold the AA and watch what happens to the SMALL vs MAJOR. Thank you for your time.... : )

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

It's very hard to, but yes, when I was waiting for the bubble to burst, in a HPT tournament, AK too. Gotta cash, min cash was over $2,500.

Folding in Poker