Can you control your ego on the table?

L

lepaux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that the worst mistakes I make is when I let my ego get in the way and worry more about winning than what's actually on the table.. any experiences with this?

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I got you, sometimes I have to teach this super aggressive noob a lesson to show him that he's not allowed to do whatever he wants, while he's sitting at MY TABLE :)

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes happens sometimes but mostly its for good.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Nope. Id rather páy attention to tjhe other players, not myself.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely control myself. Basically 1-2 hours and more and more I do not have enough attention on the game.

L

Lolocomondo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, sometimes I find myself unable control my ego. Especially after having a good winning pot streak. You should control it and play by the rules that your brain tells you. Don't do your things cause it will not workout. Luck is short term but ability follows you in the long process.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm working on that. I'm trying to disconnect from my ego once I sit down to play. It's difficult at times but I'm working on it.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. If I do not, I lose. Can't tell you how mant times I have seen a player have a huge bank think that any hand they bet, they will win, turn into a maniac and lose.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that when you refer to the ego you mean all its wrong part or am I wrong? Because really ego is all we are, not going into the subject of the word ego so much, I feel that when I get angry I look more at a single player against whom I lost instead of seeing the complete panorama of the tournament, That's when I start to conflict, both with myself, and with the game pattern that has already been giving results, it is a sure loss if you let the ego control you in these cases. Regards.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that the worst mistakes I make is when I let my ego get in the way and worry more about winning than what's actually on the table.. any experiences with this?
I think if I could control my ego I would already be a millionaire!

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually have a good ego control going into the tourney but sometimes you just wanna scratch someone's eyes out. It's seems to be at the end of tourneys when the slightess thing sets me off like extremely slow play

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It usually happens to me often but I quickly focus again, I see the lobby I analyze the situation I am in and it is like recharging my game to stay strong and in control of emotions and decisions:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline in poker is a very important thing without which you should not play.The factor that you are not alone in this world who is unlucky in this or that hand can help you fight with emotions.Each of us is defeated.Attitude to the game is what you should be concerned about.this is a game of both you to her and she in response.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Absolutely! :laugh:

If my ego is granted audience it reliably informs me that as a sleeping goat, an Ungar incarnate, every pot from every position with every holding is an entitlement. Every opponent should fold whenever faced with my open or raise and anything else but mucking is an insubordinate affront. When I win, it's skill. When they win, they got lucky.

Now, let's consider if any aspects of this perspective might harm our expectations or be detrimental with regards to our decision-making process... :icon_scra

Gut feeling tells me we might be able to find something unhelpful there... :laugh:

To me, playing without ego means acknowledging that we have no right to win, regardless of our history or how we play, that in the eyes of probability- we are all equal. Also that there is mutual respect, we are considerate of our opponents, play with integrity and we win & lose as graciously as possible.

As someone who grew up idolising The Brat before ever becoming aware of the aforementioned, growing out of referring to opponents along the lines of 'European idiots who can't even spell poker hunny' (or colourful alternatives) and relearning how to think about the game has been paramount!

I've said it before and I'll say it again- check your ego in at the door before you sit down to play, you can pick it up again on your way out! :biggrin:

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't know if I can answer objectively ... haha

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ego ok....

Tilt is difficult....

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes we go through that at a gaming table, we do not tolerate that a rookie or "fish" wins us a hand or wins us a hand by luck and starts talking at the table and that makes us fall into the traps of the Ego and we We can make mistakes looking to win the chips to the "fish" at the table, we must make decisions patiently and wait for a good moment to make our best play.
"The ego is not your friend"

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you take poker seriously it's a good important subject to learn how to control your emotions instead of letting them control you. Same with ego but it's a bit different because because you dont want to be soft in order to maximize your profits.

R

rdrennan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ego

Yesterday, I was playing against a player that was in every hand and shoving. I finally, had a decent hand to go up against him..and I won the hand. Was very happy. But, in the end, the player called my huge pre-fop bet when I had pocket QQ. Flop came and I shoved all in to learn he flopped the straight with a 5, 8. to the 4, 6, 7 on the board. He took me out. I just don't understand players that call a huge bet with such mediocre cards. In a way, it makes me feel like its set up. Do others feel this way at times? online poker playing is much more difficult than live games.

Hard Headed

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of time i can. :) Sometime it's difficult.

Not necessary to control, it's just oneself.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I always play focused and focus all my attention on my decisions. Thanks to this, I make money steadily. No emotions, just a thoughtful game and a clear calculation.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I 100% agree

I find that bankroll management helps with this one a ton honestly, because bankroll management helps with emotional control

and when emotions and feelings aren't getting stirred up it's harder for things like vendettas or revenge to creep into your mind.

That's what I've found to be helpful, that and just taking slow deep breaths,
It's surprisingly effective for keeping your ego and emotions under control

Highly recommended!