Can you control your ego on the table?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play, the more even keel you are thus you have less of an ego at the table.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion the ego is deep down a feeling of inferiority. When we free ourselves from the ego we can be more objective and impartial. I also think that people who have too much ego can hardly control the game (the poker, for example).
Because the game depends on probabilistic factors and in addition to other variables, which we cannot fully control. So if we add a internal and negative factor, such as the ego, It will make the decision making process that a player needs more difficult.
Therefore, I think that the excessive ego becomes a great obstacle to any game.
I also think that the disproportionate ego is bad, for any aspect of life and does not lead to anything good by itself.
If I had to give a poker tip it would be this: If you start to perceive an unknown amount of ego in your thought process, take a break, because it could affect your game. (I making an analogy an equivalent situation could be, when a doctor diagnoses his patient a time of repose, so that he can heal from his disease).
Greetings.

L

lepaux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely control myself. Basically 1-2 hours and more and more I do not have enough attention on the game.

Lol yeah I’m modifying and adjusting to that as well, sometimes I’m winning big and want to keep going just to lose it all in the next few rounds. Discipline is key, and some (like me) need more work on it than others!

L

lepaux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I 100% agree

I find that bankroll management helps with this one a ton honestly, because bankroll management helps with emotional control

and when emotions and feelings aren't getting stirred up it's harder for things like vendettas or revenge to creep into your mind.

That's what I've found to be helpful, that and just taking slow deep breaths,
It's surprisingly effective for keeping your ego and emotions under control

Highly recommended!

That’s actually awesome advice. I’ve been doing some meditations as well. Daniel Negreanu talks about this in his Masterclass series. Definitely worth the watch, Phil Ivey also did one, two of the greatest!

L

lepaux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the ego is deep down a feeling of inferiority. When we free ourselves from the ego we can be more objective and impartial. I also think that people who have too much ego can hardly control the game (the poker, for example).
Because the game depends on probabilistic factors and in addition to other variables, which we cannot fully control. So if we add a internal and negative factor, such as the ego, It will make the decision making process that a player needs more difficult.
Therefore, I think that the excessive ego becomes a great obstacle to any game.
I also think that the disproportionate ego is bad, for any aspect of life and does not lead to anything good by itself.
If I had to give a poker tip it would be this: If you start to perceive an unknown amount of ego in your thought process, take a break, because it could affect your game. (I making an analogy an equivalent situation could be, when a doctor diagnoses his patient a time of repose, so that he can heal from his disease).
Greetings.

Well said my friend :)

L

lepaux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely! :laugh:

If my ego is granted audience it reliably informs me that as a sleeping goat, an Ungar incarnate, every pot from every position with every holding is an entitlement. Every opponent should fold whenever faced with my open or raise and anything else but mucking is an insubordinate affront. When I win, it's skill. When they win, they got lucky.

Now, let's consider if any aspects of this perspective might harm our expectations or be detrimental with regards to our decision-making process... :icon_scra

Gut feeling tells me we might be able to find something unhelpful there... :laugh:

To me, playing without ego means acknowledging that we have no right to win, regardless of our history or how we play, that in the eyes of probability- we are all equal. Also that there is mutual respect, we are considerate of our opponents, play with integrity and we win & lose as graciously as possible.

As someone who grew up idolising The Brat before ever becoming aware of the aforementioned, growing out of referring to opponents along the lines of 'European idiots who can't even spell poker hunny' (or colourful alternatives) and relearning how to think about the game has been paramount!

I've said it before and I'll say it again- check your ego in at the door before you sit down to play, you can pick it up again on your way out! :biggrin:

Beautifully spoken my friend, that’s about as good and clear as it can get. All the best!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I found that controlling my ego would be very beneficial to my play. I started to meditate and then listen to meditation music as i played to keep myself calm. What I found once I did control my ego more was better play. While it does not always work out perfectly its pretty amazing to see yourself make correct and better moves that can save you chips many times. How many time have you seen someone just call the river and you say to your self why did they do it. Yes they had aces but there were 4 hearts and 4 to a straight there and what did they beat. There ego just wont let them fold even though they have no hearts and it obvious there beat.