Are You Capable folding AA Before ITM?

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everybody I had :as4: :ad4: and was knocked out by :jh4: :qh4: ,I hadn´t go all in I just had raised 3x (the blind was 600\1200,the vilian went all in and I was the big blind and ITM was 26th ,there were 28 players remaining;the vilian had more chips than me and I couldn´t resist;I gave instant call but for my surprise the flop was :2h4: :7h4: :kd4: :2s4: :9h4:

Last edited:
TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like you were short stack near the bubble. In this situation you definitely want to ship it all in because a standard 3 bet call is nothing if you're the one who is short-stack. By not raising all in preflop you're giving villian implied odds out the wazzu, and its in situations like these where AA'ces usually get cracked unfortunately.

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like you were short stack near the bubble. In this situation you definitely want to ship it all in because a standard 3 bet call is nothing if you're the one who is short-stack. By not raising all in preflop you're giving villian implied odds out the wazzu, and its in situations like these where AA'ces usually get cracked unfortunately.
I had 5.600k chips and could fold but I insisted at the raise.If I hadn´t involve in this hand I could get ITM.I´m feeling like a donk.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it well in my opinion. Everything depends on your goal. If your main goal is to get to the money and you are absolutely sure that you will make it with your current stack you can easily fold or even sitout completely till you are in the money. If your goal is to be as far ahead as possible you should use such good hands without fear of loosing.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to feel bad that was just a cooler and you don't have to regret this call he just got a lucky river and busted you before the money keep playing this way on the long term you will win more than what you lose with AA

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also had that I was knocked out of the tournament with the QJ-J10 card suited, I never fold AA on the pre-flop, I often play all-in and I often play a good card, it's a game and there are different situations in it Sometimes you can win on AA but you can lose too, or a lot of chips or money!

nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got it all in pre flop against a mediocre hand with AA. We should all be so lucky!

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made mistake like this one time, even bigger mistake. 17 places were getting tickets to a bigger tournament and i have gone out 18 placed. Called all in with AA and lost. I was 7 with chips and could have folded my way into a ticket but i made a rookie mistake.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
you got unlucky. Also with 5bb, just ship it in, no point of raising 3x.

Mr Bean

Mr Bean

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA

I don't remember ever folding AA.
I don't slow play it. I push pre-flop and usually win the blinds. That is better than getting hammered.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand playing a tournament just to get into the money, I always play to go as deep as I can. If I'm not willing to go all-in against a single opponent with AA why am I playing ? ( And with 4BBs you might nor have been able to fold into the money anyway.)

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This isn't a mistake, just a hard choice.
If you want to get ITM with only 2 players left I've watched players fold without looking at their hole cards so as to resist temptation.
If you want to beat everyone else in the room, loosen up and gamble smart from strength.
Really depends on your immediate goal.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course this is possible. But usually with a couple of aces I play aggressively. Obviously, with such a pair you have a big advantage over other players and if you are not lucky then you should not be disappointed.
Good luck.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call BS on the notion that you have to play to win rather than just get ITM!

I can't count the times I have cleared the bubble barely, then come back to win. I also can't count the times I was CL when the bubble burst and went out real fast. In the same vein, you have to make the first break to continue, then the second,,,etc; you have to survive the bubble to continue.

And yes, I have probably folded huge hands before ITM just to make sure I got ITM. I often cover my screen and fold into the money. I can't consciously remember folding AA, but I do remember taking a pee break and not quite getting seated fast enough and had to watch AA get the auto fold.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It depends on how much the amount of prize money I can win or lose. If this amount is not significant to me, then I will play.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Big folds are what separate the good players from the "great" players,,,;)

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are out to make the money being 26 of 28 you should fold it there. If you intend to get back in the game and move up the ladder you have to shove.

M

muderous

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never fold an AA preflop, because it is the best hand of the game for other hands to win from me, they have to have luck right? so I'll be in front of all the hands then tokens on the cloth

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi everybody I had :as4: :ad4: and was knocked out by :jh4: :qh4: ,I hadn´t go all in I just had raised 3x (the blind was 600\1200,the vilian went all in and I was the big blind and ITM was 26th ,there were 28 players remaining;the vilian had more chips than me and I couldn´t resist;I gave instant call

So the villain limps and you raise to 60% of your stack with less than 5BB remaining?

These are the actions of someone who wants to get called to try to double up - I am assuming all action was folded except for villain's limp.

If you simply want to survive the hand and pick up the blinds and one limp, you shove here. By pot committing yourself to a very small raise (3BB into a pot of 2.5BB +antes) when you have <2BB behind, you are demanding that he fold (unlikely) or shove (highly likely). You reap what you sow.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To fold or not to fold AA

I would only ever fold AA if it was a multi way pot or i felt that my stack was pricing in someone else to call..otherwise i would play AA every day and twice on a Sunday..
I have often gone out on or near the bubble playing this way but i have also made final tables by pushing all in and often forcing a fold or doubling up, i personally feel playing tight to just min cash is not my style..i play to win

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why should you put your before flop, I would never do it, it's important to add the correct raise depending on your chips. Sometimes you lose, but usually you win.
When it comes to sit & go tournament where you win tickets, you may not have to follow if you have AA, that hand I have put on such tournaments,

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would almost never fold AA preflop,maybe only when im playing satellite and i already know im going to get the ticket

J

jarvin14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

you always have to double with AA and I'm going to go all in because I'm not going to give another player a chance to tie a hand I'm going a step forward

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the villain limps and you raise to 60% of your stack with less than 5BB remaining?

These are the actions of someone who wants to get called to try to double up - I am assuming all action was folded except for villain's limp.

If you simply want to survive the hand and pick up the blinds and one limp, you shove here. By pot committing yourself to a very small raise (3BB into a pot of 2.5BB +antes) when you have <2BB behind, you are demanding that he fold (unlikely) or shove (highly likely). You reap what you sow.
I'd consider doing the same thing. Like you say, you want the other guy to shove when you're on the short side, especially if you can get a three-way w/ AA pre-flop.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd consider doing the same thing. Like you say, you want the other guy to shove when you're on the short side, especially if you can get a three-way w/ AA pre-flop.
Yup. I'm all in here myself most likely. But if I chose to make a small raise, it's an invitation to a reraise, also a legit strategy (to get the shove back). However, I would not make a thread asking if I should have folded to the shove. :eek:

Folding in Poker