Won $5 in a freeroll, what to play next?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any beginner with very small BR if they play tight and not get into uncomplicated spots should play 2NL. In my view BR doesn't matter as you will anyway continue to play in freerolls to add to your payroll. But the key is to play solid poker instead of just $5 and I want to make it big quick. This I think is the best value for the time you spend. Most freerolls will pay you few cents after hours of play but in 2NL you have a reasonable chance to improve your BR quickly. Ofcourse you can loose all your BR but there is always risk to anything.

S

spartacus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, this thread has tons of replies! Good to see other people trying to build a bankroll from $0. :)

Update on my progress:
I was playing the $0.11 and $0.27 turbo MTTs, but I was getting frustrated because they only ran every 3 hours, and the variance was so high. As a result, I decided to give 2NL cash games another try. Over the past 2 weeks, I've played 12000 hands at 2NL and broken even. My bankroll is still $31.

The good news: I managed to rack up 100VPPs playing the 2NL cash games, so I have ChromeStar status now and access to the 100k Privilege Freerolls until May 31. The pay structure for this freeroll is great, and it runs 4x per day, so I'll probably play those for a while to build my bankroll, because I need time away from cash games.

I'll probably play some more $0.11 and $0.27 MTTs too.

TL;DR: Bankroll still $31. Achieved ChromeStar status and gained access to 100k Privilege freeroll.

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry Spartacus, we've kinda sidetracked your thread, but good news on getting access to those Privilege freerolls as they are a handy way to earn more money with no risk.
I would however advise; do not rebuy, why waste 30c for just 1,200 chips i always treat these as freezeout freerolls. I final tabled one of these for $60 (5th i think) & i believe 1st place was almost $200 & over $100 for top 3.

xastaria

xastaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another way is zoom(cash cames) play only best starting hands!be carful because you can lose all your money in a minute!for practise play for a while with playable money!

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend might like to suggest you to play sit and go's like Sin And Go that are really great. 2 Dollars I did a stack of 80 dollars. You take care. bye

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've only ever read this, thanks for link. If you haven't heard of the Chris Ferguson Zero to $10k challenge before, click this link! For some solid BRM tips....
Also the next video in the series "Poker lesson 8: Phil Gordon.Basic mathemetical poker methods" goes into some of the simplest poker maths theories that you NEED to know.
Namely
*The rule of 4 & 2,
*The Ace X rule
* The Gordon Pair Principle (Yeah, this 1's knew to me too)
Even if you know this stuff already, there's no harm in refreshing your memory. But if the points above sound knew to you, you MUST watch this video, simple maths, explained simply (Even I could follow it!!) brilliant stuff!

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enter 5$ Spin n go and win a million! Sounds very effective to me hehe.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoy the $1 and $3.5 45 man SnG's they don't eat up too much of your day an with a little ( :wink: ) patience I find I can cash 2 or 3 out of 5 chances

N

nickolaussantaclaus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5 days ago i had 5 dollars bankroll and start playing cash NL 0,01/0,02. for stack 0,80$. when i raise it to 1,60$, i go to spin'n'go 1$)) so at this moment i have 33$ bankroll

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's with all the brand new Jackpot/Spin'n'Go spammers?

S

spartacus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Status update:
Just had a huge boost to my bankroll, completely due to luck.

pokerstars is running those $150K All-In Shootouts, where you gain entry by completing cash game challenges (e.g. win a hand with KK). I was able to complete 5 of the challenges during my cash game grind, so I have 5 entries. Anyway, they've run 3 of these shootouts so far, and I've won $50 (cashed in 2 of them).

My bankroll is now ~$80.

No skill involved, but I'll take it haha.

As I said in my previous post, I'm currently playing the $100K Privilege Freerolls (which are definitely worthwhile), and $0.11 Turbo MTTs.

I'm going to try playing a bit of Zoom when the Pokerstars' Round 2 challenges begin, because I would love more entries into those $150K shootouts haha.

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youll be in the cardchat freerolls soon, you should be able to build bank from that.

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Status update:
Just had a huge boost to my bankroll, completely due to luck.

Pokerstars is running those $150K All-In Shootouts, where you gain entry by completing cash game challenges (e.g. win a hand with KK). I was able to complete 5 of the challenges during my cash game grind, so I have 5 entries. Anyway, they've run 3 of these shootouts so far, and I've won $50 (cashed in 2 of them).

My bankroll is now ~$80.

No skill involved, but I'll take it haha.

As I said in my previous post, I'm currently playing the $100K Privilege Freerolls (which are definitely worthwhile), and $0.11 Turbo MTTs.

I'm going to try playing a bit of Zoom when the Pokerstars' Round 2 challenges begin, because I would love more entries into those $150K shootouts haha.

Awesome, good job!! I actually archived ChromeStar with my first $10 deposit and I managed to win another $20 from Cash Games, even after dropping to below $5 at several points, so I was passing by to recommend that you play cash if you don't mind taking risks, but it's kinda tricky since you'll be always checking your bankroll and that hurts your play.
Also, since you are Chrome, don't forget that Saturday nights (GMT), you get the weekly Chrome Star freeroll with 5K in prizes. It's a much bigger prize than the 100K and you get there much faster (personally I didn't like 100K, since after 2-3 hours playing you'd get at most $.5 unless you managed to finish big. You can easily win that amount in a sing good cash game hand). Sometimes you can't see this Freeroll because it's not shown up top (unless when it's starting or Late Reg.), so scroll down the tournaments a bit until you find a somewhat bright yellow title.

Best of luck!
Oh, word of advice, stay away from Spin & Gos. I actually killed around $10 with those, then made it back and won $18 in a $3 buy-in one, only to lose everything because I got addicted to the spinny numbers :p. So now I only play freerolls (CardsChat and national ones so the field is narrower, and every once in a while a satellite) and when I get to $2 I go straight into Cash Games. Cash Games are the thing man, once I won $15 in a night starting with only $.75 on my bankroll, just after PS moved to Europe. However if you don't have enough discipline to leave a bad table (like me), it's just as easy to burn through those $15 back where you started.
So, if you want to err on the safer side and/or you don't think you are capable of leaving a game that's going bad for you, then low buy-in tournaments are my recomendation.

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Status update:
Just had a huge boost to my bankroll, ..... and I've won $50 (cashed in 2 of them).......My bankroll is now ~$80.
Happy days Spartacus, I i won $10 from them myself.... Keep up the good work mate, we'll be in the big leagues soon! :D

S

spartacus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome, good job!! I actually archived ChromeStar with my first $10 deposit and I managed to win another $20 from Cash Games, even after dropping to below $5 at several points, so I was passing by to recommend that you play cash if you don't mind taking risks, but it's kinda tricky since you'll be always checking your bankroll and that hurts your play.
Also, since you are Chrome, don't forget that Saturday nights (GMT), you get the weekly Chrome Star freeroll with 5K in prizes. It's a much bigger prize than the 100K and you get there much faster (personally I didn't like 100K, since after 2-3 hours playing you'd get at most $.5 unless you managed to finish big. You can easily win that amount in a sing good cash game hand). Sometimes you can't see this Freeroll because it's not shown up top (unless when it's starting or Late Reg.), so scroll down the tournaments a bit until you find a somewhat bright yellow title.

Best of luck!
Oh, word of advice, stay away from Spin & Gos. I actually killed around $10 with those, then made it back and won $18 in a $3 buy-in one, only to lose everything because I got addicted to the spinny numbers :p. So now I only play freerolls (CardsChat and national ones so the field is narrower, and every once in a while a satellite) and when I get to $2 I go straight into Cash Games. Cash Games are the thing man, once I won $15 in a night starting with only $.75 on my bankroll, just after PS moved to Europe. However if you don't have enough discipline to leave a bad table (like me), it's just as easy to burn through those $15 back where you started.
So, if you want to err on the safer side and/or you don't think you are capable of leaving a game that's going bad for you, then low buy-in tournaments are my recomendation.

Thanks for reminding me about that ChromeStar weekend freeroll. :) I completely forgot about that!

I'll definitely stay away from the Spin 'N Gos. I tried those when I was using play chips, so I understand how crazy and addicting they can be.

I'll return to cash games eventually; I'm just taking a break for a little bit. I find cash games a bit more stressful than the small MTTs (the players are better too).

Happy days Spartacus, I i won $10 from them myself.... Keep up the good work mate, we'll be in the big leagues soon!

Congrats! :)

I'll keep you guys posted if I make any more progress.

666Garold666

666Garold666

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Suggest that you Spin & Go for$ 1 , if you normally play will increase their $ 5))