Win Rate with Pocket Rockets A/A?

HathelFoster

HathelFoster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just coming off a bad run and the final hand I played was the notorious Pocket Rockets.

Usually I don't get any action with this starting pair however this time I had 2 raising me pre-flop, figured they had pocket pairs too.

This isn't usually my style but thought here's my chance to break even and called all in pre flop. Turns out one guy had zilch and the other guy had 4/4. Ofcourse I draw dead and he gets trip 4.

I need some level headed people like yourselves how you play A/A, do you also struggle to get anyone else to bet and what would you do in that situation, call the all in or fold?

I've never, ever, ever won a hand when starting with A/A my heart races when I see it because I know I'm about to lose hard.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA

It sounds like you haven't been playing very long if you've never won with pocket aces.

The facts are, there is no pre-flop hand that is greater than AA, and there is no other pre-flop hand that is equal to AA, regardless of how many players are on the table. That's the only hand that can make that claim. The odds are 5 to 1 of that pocket pair winning over another pocket pair. By the laws of probability you could lose with that hand 10 times in a row, but then you could win with that hand 50 times in a row.

Get all your money in pre-flop if you can, whenever you can.

And may the Poker Gods favor your journey.

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just coming off a bad run and the final hand I played was the notorious Pocket Rockets.

Usually I don't get any action with this starting pair however this time I had 2 raising me pre-flop, figured they had pocket pairs too.

This isn't usually my style but thought here's my chance to break even and called all in pre flop. Turns out one guy had zilch and the other guy had 4/4. Ofcourse I draw dead and he gets trip 4.

I need some level headed people like yourselves how you play A/A, do you also struggle to get anyone else to bet and what would you do in that situation, call the all in or fold?

I've never, ever, ever won a hand when starting with A/A my heart races when I see it because I know I'm about to lose hard.

You need to gain strength in order to agree to all-in only on the turn and river. If you see that you have 3 aces (maybe J, Q and K) on the flop in the end, you can call all-in here too. Yes, sometimes it’s a pity to fold aces, but in many cases this is a reasonable decision, especially when participating in paid and expensive tournaments. Less and less you should agree that luck and random will decide the outcome of your game!

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So obviously most people will say if you can manage to get it all in pre flop that is the best outcome. We are always likely to remember when we bust out with AA because the expectation is that you will win.

I wonder how other people would play if say for instance you have decided to save up to play a big tournament, whether online or live. The money you've decided to invest in the game is the only disposable income you have. You sit down and get AA first hand. Are you prepared to go all in here?

B

bronson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from my own experience, my percentage of winning when I slow play aces goes way down vs shoving from the onset.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost always win with AA pre-flop. Id say 80-90%? Not guaranteed, but a great hand, play it strong!

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! It’s worse for me when I get a QC and pre-flop they are faced with the choice of All-in or fold, and with AA only All-in, playing AA gives the opponents an opportunity to collect a combination, if the set does not come to AA, then this is just a couple. Best regards, Sergei.

P

Purplereign_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not that I'm getting addicted to online tournaments...

I find myself and other players trying to ride their pockets all the way in trying to win a pot and refusing to understand how many other hands can beat you.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA

Even AA depends on situation of the place.

By the way, the winning average of AA becomes low by a cash game of FL.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So obviously most people will say if you can manage to get it all in pre flop that is the best outcome. We are always likely to remember when we bust out with AA because the expectation is that you will win.

I wonder how other people would play if say for instance you have decided to save up to play a big tournament, whether online or live. The money you've decided to invest in the game is the only disposable income you have. You sit down and get AA first hand. Are you prepared to go all in here?

I would say yes, I would consider it strongly.

Say worst case u r UTG against 8 villains and first hand so no info. Want to take down an early pot so raise 4x, folds to HJ who raises, folds back to me - A jam would be fine as odds are so in my favour. (Pure hand v hand odds, not pot odds) By risking yr stack assuming u want to try and win the tournament then u know the risks and in this case the risk reward seems fine. By doubling up here u have leverage to control the table so more than just the chips. If u don’t bet string at 5:1 with huge fold equity then which hand will u play? I’d be destined to fail with insufficient aggression.

Occasionally in this scenario u get sucked out on - boooo

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To clarify the above further I’d not straight shove UTG in case everyone behind are millionaires who all call with no care - would like to narrow the field first.

How many times are u able to get in a situation where u have the absolute bits and can still get someone to put their chips in? As good an opportunity as any.

Counter argument may be ur skill level allowing u to gradually take down V’s but in this position likely to be too passive due to risk of bankruptcy

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not really lucky with AAs. I think im 50/50 with AAs.