Win big quick, then lose big quick. How to stop the cycle?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got to know when to walk away a weiner,,,,:vroam:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone, first post here... Just to let you know my skill level, I'm new to online poker but have played quite a bit with play money and local $20-$40 buy ins. I've been playing a lot of online poker though lately and have noticed a pattern I have where I will win quite a bit of money in a short term period then lose it all just as fast. To give an example, I just played a $0.1 $0.2 game and went from $0.70 to $17.70 in about 20 minutes, then lost it all in the next ten. This happens quite often, damn near every time I play, and I was just hoping someone else in the community may have experienced the same thing and be able to shed a bit of light on it? Thanks

I would advise that you should play more tournaments that are small buy ins, that way your bankroll is not in danger of being emptied in one or several hands.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone, first post here... Just to let you know my skill level, I'm new to online poker but have played quite a bit with play money and local $20-$40 buy ins. I've been playing a lot of online poker though lately and have noticed a pattern I have where I will win quite a bit of money in a short term period then lose it all just as fast. To give an example, I just played a $0.1 $0.2 game and went from $0.70 to $17.70 in about 20 minutes, then lost it all in the next ten. This happens quite often, damn near every time I play, and I was just hoping someone else in the community may have experienced the same thing and be able to shed a bit of light on it? Thanks

Hey and welcome to the board! Without knowing you any more than that and purely based on this post, I would categorize you as a maniac who is super aggressive and gets a lot of action because of that. Going from $0.70 to $17.70 in just 20 minutes only strengthens that because that means that you have probably won multiple all-ins during that 20 minutes period. Is that right? That would also explain why you keep losing it even faster as you gained it. If that keeps happening all the time then it must be the style you play because 30 minutes is a short time to go through all that unless you have been particularly lucky first and then experienced many bad beats in a row. But I doubt that it would happen so much that it becomes a pattern like you said. I also got the impression that this all happened in one table and you are not multi-tabling like 10 tables or so.

Whether I am right about my analysis on you or not, I would recommend that you first take a good look on your play and check if the problem can be found there. If you think that you are not a manic as I described, then those winning percentages are really good and you should just learn not to lose them. Maybe you get too confident with a big stack and think that you will win every pot? Maybe you start throwing chips away just because your stack is so much bigger compared to others or maybe you start calling all-ins from small stacks with mediocre hands just because the amount feels so small? There might be many reasons for this and I hope that you eventually find out what it is.

And last but not least, if that keeps happening all the time: just quit while you are winning. I mean going from $0.70 to $17.70 is a lot and I would be really happy to quit right there on top.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, are you playing NL2 (0.01/0.02) or NL20 (0.1/0.2)? You said 0.1/0.2 which would be NL20 but then it puzzles me why you are playing with only $0.70 in the first place? I assume that there is a mistake and you are playing NL2.

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I went from 70 cents to $17, I think once I hit $7, I would go to another room with 70 cents.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Because that happened with you, the cash game is very hard. You have to know when seat, when stand up, 0.70 to $17? that shows that you had not disciplne to get out from table. It seems simple but is hard to learn this and I hope you learn quicky.

Elaborate this a bit further please? I play micro fullring cash.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If that happens sometimes but maybe go with 0.70 to 17 you should leave the table

L

luckybest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make urself a budget and stick to it. For instance don't play tournaments until I have 10xs the buy-in amount and if I don't have that I don't play I stick to a lower amount or freerolls

C

concoman710

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd cash out if you get that high and find a new table or two where you can buy in for 100bb and play comfortable poker

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it logical, as you are a fresh player, you win at the beginning, but as soonas the better players have you under sight, they-ll know what to do

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Analyzing your play and others play is key to not having massive swings.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Of course take a look at brm and also take out the money from table, when you are playing cash and you are above some percentage of you initial buy-in.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you're suffering from Winners Tilt (as someone has renamed it). What happens with tilt is you get angry and your play changes and you lose even more. With Winner's tilt, you get excited, your play changes, and then you start losing which leads to tilt and you continue losing till it's all gone. Just as you need to control your anger, you also need to control you're excitement because it can cause you to change your playing just as much. Also, excitement can last across multiple sessions if you end on a high note. Making it even worse than regular tilt.

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is the story of my life. i will win a lot and then say to myself lets wib a bit more as im on a streak....then an hour later i have lost everything i had made and more. sometimes i blame the software and sometimes my addictive behaviour...lol

UberKadet

UberKadet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
keep playing freerolls until you have $40 to start playing NL2 cash or with $8 you could play some 10c/25c sit and gos
this is my current plan. to keep playing freerolls till i have a decent balance. then use that sparingly in other games. what mostly happens though is when i win in freerolls o put it str8 into other tourneys and cash games then loose it fairly quick. i guess i have to remind myself not to do that and stick to the plan

charlie2013

charlie2013

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do it like Daenaerys Targaryen and break the wheel !!

Aleksandr Alekseev

Aleksandr Alekseev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankrollmanagement as the saying goes

At first, I also had it. Yes, and sometimes it happens now, I struggle with it. The solution is one, when you win a lot, you need to calm down, take a short pause. After not climbing to the limits above or buyin higher, but quietly play at the same limits, until you fill a bankroll over 200 dollars.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Going from $0.70 to $17.70 in just 20 minutes only strengthens that because that means that you have probably won multiple all-ins during that 20 minutes period. Is that right?

It takes at least 5 heads-up all-ins to go from $0.70 to $17.70, accounting for rake. This assumes only one other player got all-in against the person and every time they got all-in the other person had them covered. It is unlikely that they found another person punting off 400xbb stacks, but that is roughly cancelled out by the fact that a few of the pots could have been multi-way. In short, we can safely assume it took at least 5 all-ins won in a row. More all-ins are certainly likely, as winning 5 in a row is hard.

In 20 minutes, you might see 20-25 hands. So, the OP is getting all-in with 20%+ of their hands.

I think it's safe to diagnose a maniac based on those assumptions.

Saw someone like this at a PLO table, last night. I was drinking and went right along with them. They ran $2 up to $16 or something, and then ended up giving it all to me over a series of hands where I ran slightly better than they did. Of course, they were playing 100%/90% the whole time. Almost every hand was 4-5 bet pre-flop. It was insane.

davidengland

davidengland

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Few months later - bigger bankroll - dumb decisions

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. Bankroll management is an absolutely key asset to long-term success and I can definitely understand that now. It really takes only one time of being a donkey and you can lose your entire bankroll. I definitely learned this lesson again the other night... Over the past few months, I built up a decent bankroll for myself. I deposited $25 and grinded the microstakes and $1.50 sit n' gos. I got up to about $300 and started playing in bigger sit n' gos and continued to have success. I got to about $1500 in my bankroll until about a week ago when I decided to login after a night with my friends drinking. I definitely know that it's never a good decision to play poker when you're drunk, but I was at that level of drunk where you really just don't give a damn. I had the bright idea to throw $1,000 onto a $5/$10 table and try to get a big boost to my bankroll. Shortly after, I was rebuying for the remaining $500 in my account. Needless to say, I went broke that night. It was a hard lesson after all the hard work that I had put into building my bankroll over the previous few months. The next morning after popping a few advil, I almost convinced myself that it was just a bad dream. But sure enough, my account balance read $0.00.

I'm honestly not that upset about it now, because I'm able to learn from it and move on. I know the hard work that it takes to build a bankroll and I know how vulnerable it is when you're not focused. I also think it might be a good story for others to hear and the fact that it might help someone else makes it bearable for me.

Last edited:
davidengland

davidengland

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes at least 5 heads-up all-ins to go from $0.70 to $17.70, accounting for rake. This assumes only one other player got all-in against the person and every time they got all-in the other person had them covered. It is unlikely that they found another person punting off 400xbb stacks, but that is roughly cancelled out by the fact that a few of the pots could have been multi-way. In short, we can safely assume it took at least 5 all-ins won in a row. More all-ins are certainly likely, as winning 5 in a row is hard.

In 20 minutes, you might see 20-25 hands. So, the OP is getting all-in with 20%+ of their hands.

I think it's safe to diagnose a maniac based on those assumptions.

Saw someone like this at a PLO table, last night. I was drinking and went right along with them. They ran $2 up to $16 or something, and then ended up giving it all to me over a series of hands where I ran slightly better than they did. Of course, they were playing 100%/90% the whole time. Almost every hand was 4-5 bet pre-flop. It was insane.
I was definitely a maniac lol, and ran really well. I would bounce from game to game and move up in stakes as quickly as possible. I quickly found out this was not sustainable and have toned it down quite a bit...

davidengland

davidengland

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is my current plan. to keep playing freerolls till i have a decent balance. then use that sparingly in other games. what mostly happens though is when i win in freerolls o put it str8 into other tourneys and cash games then loose it fairly quick. i guess i have to remind myself not to do that and stick to the plan
Idk if it's just the Free Rolls on ACR that sucks or what, but I really can't stand them... You're talking about playing a tourney against over 600 players for 6.5 hours and first place gets $2.50? I'd rather just deposit $25

davidengland

davidengland

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you're suffering from Winners Tilt (as someone has renamed it). What happens with tilt is you get angry and your play changes and you lose even more. With Winner's tilt, you get excited, your play changes, and then you start losing which leads to tilt and you continue losing till it's all gone. Just as you need to control your anger, you also need to control you're excitement because it can cause you to change your playing just as much. Also, excitement can last across multiple sessions if you end on a high note. Making it even worse than regular tilt.
I've never heard of winners tilt but it makes way too much sense

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest taking a look at the hands you are losing, then try to figure out if you should have been in that hand at all. Analyze each of your losses and determine what you my have different not to lose that hand. My guess is that they were not all bad beats and most of the hands you would hve been better off folding preflop. Tighten up.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This has also happened to me many times in the past. I agree about bankroll management. I've learned this lesson the hard way. Play freerolls until you have at least 30 buy-ins for 2NL = $60.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never heard of winners tilt but it makes way too much sense

It's a common issue. I've been working on reducing my winner's tilt issues as well. Feels good to win and then you unknowingly start opening up and playing differently thinking "might as well since I'm doing so well." In other words , ever build up a huge stack and then like an hour later wonder where half of it went? Probably winner's tilt making you change your game in subtle ways.

I suggest taking a look at the hands you are losing, then try to figure out if you should have been in that hand at all. Analyze each of your losses and determine what you my have different not to lose that hand. My guess is that they were not all bad beats and most of the hands you would hve been better off folding preflop. Tighten up.

Valid advice but doesn't really help/matter in OP's case. OP could have been playing perfect poker and STILL gone busto taking his entire roll to a 1kNL table. This advise you posted is def valid for addressing tilt (both winning and losing tilt).

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone has made this mistake when they are learning. It’s definitely important to learn to not get overly ****y when you’ve built up your bankroll. If anything you should prepare yourself for a bit of a losing steak because that is the nature of variance. Everyone forgets once in a while. Hopefully you learn from it that’s all.